Sign in to follow this  
GreenMntRanger

Just bought my first Wheel Horse

GreenMntRanger

Just picked up my first Wheel Horse. Truth be told, my first lawn tractor. A buddy at work is moving south and has no intrest in moving the tractor so I am the proud owner of a 414-8 with cart and plow blade and mower deck, all of wich are in working order ( the plowblade could use a paint job). Total package cost me 500.00 and he through in a Toro "mantis type" tiller.

Couple of questions right off:

Can I find a PDF file of the owners/maintanance manual on line somewhere?

What attachments are available for the tractor and do they have to be Wheel Horse/ Toro or are there "aftermarket" attachments that will work?

GMR

Martin

first of all .... :WRS:

you can check the files section to see if theres one in there for your tractor. give me a few minutes and i will see what i can find in my pdfs.....

do you know what year we are talking about?

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: And congratulations on buying your first :wh: ! Sounds like you got a great deal! :woohoo: Sure would love to see some pics when you get a chance. :wwp:

Matt :flags-texas:

Martin

there is a 1986 300-400 owners manual in the files section. if you need a 1987 300-400 series i have one.....

neil

welcome to Redsquare from the UK

congrats on your new puechase ,im sure that you wont be disapointed with it & im sure that it wont be your last wheelhorse that you buy,

Enjoy the wheelhorse experience

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: :wwp:

varosd

Just picked up my first Wheel Horse. Truth be told, my first lawn tractor. A buddy at work is moving south and has no intrest in moving the tractor so I am the proud owner of a 414-8 with cart and plow blade and mower deck, all of wich are in working order ( the plowblade could use a paint job). Total package cost me 500.00 and he through in a Toro "mantis type" tiller.

Couple of questions right off:

Can I find a PDF file of the owners/maintanance manual on line somewhere?

What attachments are available for the tractor and do they have to be Wheel Horse/ Toro or are there "aftermarket" attachments that will work?

GMR

Welcome aboard!!! you are the proud owner of a great Wheel Horse "Garden Tractor"! Any pictures??

AMC RULES

You got a great deal there.

:WRS:

:wwp:

rexman72

you will like the 400 series

can whlvr

i have 2 414,s and they are a great tractor,although i really like all of my tractors my 87 414 is my favorite tractor,i would really like to get a 416 with the single kohler one day

IMG_0523.jpg

082-1.jpg

• Like 1

bo dawg

:WRS: :text-welcomeconfetti: sounds like an awesome deal, soon you will have the bug and multiply. :banana-gotpics:

Wheel-N-It

You're gonna like it here:)

GreenMntRanger

Thanks guys, you all make a newbie feel welcome.

Still wondering what attachments are available for this tractor and if the attachments are propiatary (must be Wheel Horse) or there are aftermarket attachments available?

My buddy is moving in a couple weeks, and he needs the tractor for his lawn but I will post some pictures for everyone once I bring her home

decksetter

Thanks guys, you all make a newbie feel welcome.

Still wondering what attachments are available for this tractor and if the attachments are propiatary (must be Wheel Horse) or there are aftermarket attachments available?

My buddy is moving in a couple weeks, and he needs the tractor for his lawn but I will post some pictures for everyone once I bring her home

The Attach-a-matic stuff is basically just wheel horse, but there are tons of the attachments around. They made everything from mower decks (42" side or rear discharge or recycler, 48" side discharge are all pretty common for these), rear mount tillers, front mount snow blowers, snow / dozer blades, mid mount grader blades, sickle bar mowers...... I'm sure there are more. There are a few bigger wheel horses with front end loaders floating around.

AMC RULES

You shouldn't have any problems running any :wh: attachments on that tractor, though some may be series specific depending on size of your machine, and or the attachment.

What are you thinking about hooking up? :scratchead:

pinecone

congrats. i also became an owner last week, and my first ride on too, 64 years of walking. a restored 312-8. now my 3 bay garage holds a '74 vette, a 16' c-dory boat and now a horse. the wife says whats next, a plane. she will use them all as much as me though. wonderfull using the tractor, but will have to put on 1" larger deck wheels, seems to cut way to low even on the highest deck setting. i hope that will solve the prob.. good luck with yours.

varosd

look under File tab and there is the "Interchangeability" chart that shows all the models, serial numbers, attachments, options etc year by year.

as stated above, there was WH specific attachments that were made to fit into the attach mate and then a lot of aftermarket/universial stuff that was made to fit WH/IH/JD/Bolens etc etc.

then handy folks have fabricated all sorts of "things" for their Wheel Horses.

The 300/400/500 series is a "Garden Tractor" meaning it can do much more than a lawn mower...I didnt know the difference growing up. I just used my familys B-80 to cut grass as we had a dedicated walk behind snowblower

You have a heavy duty tranny/read end that can stand up to the use of "ground engaging attachments" such as a tiller.(always exceptions to the rule but yours can handle it all)

Horse'n Around

:WRS: and welcome to the wonderful world of WH ownership/addiction. Congratulations on your first Horse. I have a feeling if your like most us here, it wont be alone in the "stable" for long. Be warned they are addictive :P

can whlvr

so alot has been put out there,a basic rule is you need wh stuff that runs off the pto,mower,tillers,to be wheel horse,but with the right tools and some enginuity anything is possible,of coarse anything that gets pulled can be almost anything like wagons,lawn sweepers,ploughs,discs,harrows etc,but i woulg go with wheelhorse stuff that simply clicks on basically

tunahead72

:WRS:

As some of the guys have already mentioned, the short answer to your first question is that yes, there are manuals available for your machine. There's tractor owner's and parts manuals, engine owner's and service manuals, a transmission repair manual, and similar documents for your mower deck and other attachments.

Try to find an ID tag on the tractor somewhere, probably on the fender in front of the seat or on the left side. The 414-8 was made in 1986-1989. The 1986 model came from the factory with a Kohler K321S engine, the 1987-1989 models with a Kohler Magnum M14S, there should be an ID tag on that also, that will help narrow down which year yours was made. Does the previous owner have any documentation or know about the tractor's history?

Some of the manuals are here on RedSquare under the Files tab, once you know the model year you can poke around in there and see what's available. There's other sources for whatever you don't find there, just ask here and somebody will help you out.

And if this is your first tractor, take some time to drive it around your property and get used to how it drives and handles, and be especially careful on slopes.

Have fun!

GreenMntRanger

To answer one question asked earlier, my buddy said he found all paperwork associated with the tractor, manuals, receipts, and all service records. It was purchased in 1987

I pick it up in 2 weeks...cant wait

Wheel Horse Kid

Looking forward to pictures of your new Wheel Horse!