Martin

1277 hydro getting some love......

Martin

the 1277 i have is my worker. it gets attention only when it really needs it. it has a few issues that need sorted and i thought i would do a thread on a few of them.

first thing the hydro has an annoying leak behind the cam block, it doesnt leak that bad that i need to top it off weekly or anything, but it still leaves a mess in my shop and you cant really let it run on concrete too long with out leaving a trail of dripping tranny fluid around the place. so i looked up a thread or two on here and got a few ideas of how to tackle this without too much trouble.

heres one i found.....

good idea on getting to the leak, really this is the only 'easy' way to get in there.....

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

i got it apart and gave it a bit of a tub so i wasnt dealing with a whole lot of oil soaked grass as well......

IMG_0851.jpg

the o rings were the source of the leak, the outer was pinched a little but the inner was as hard as a rock and im sure not sealing much at all....

IMG_0852.jpg

i ordered a new cam plate 5996 and the large 970026 o ring. the smaller 972116 o ring is nla through toro but im sure i can find a match for it with a little effort. while ive got it apart the shifter assembly is going to need some work and the parking brake/belt drive disengage is going to need some refabbing as well.....

IMG_0856.jpg

if somebody could post an 'unworn' brake handle assembly #7011 so i can see what shape the holes are supposed to be that would be awesome. there was a 3/8 nut on the shaft that passes through the large hole to take up some of the room, the ipl shows that a spacer is supposed to be there, so i think the large hole should be an elongated 'slot' just not big like this....

IMG_0854.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Martin. That 1277 really is a very solid looking, working class :wh: with a really sweat looking deck! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Terry M

That looks like a good worker Martin! but I am curious.......How many tractors do you have??? :scratchead:

Martin

terry, i have 4. this one, the 1054 i rebuilt first, the 1057 im almost finished with and the 875 which my son rides the most........

its all in the sig, man............. :thumbs:

Red-Arrow-Pointing-Down1.png

Martin

got some more done on the hydro.

got the large o ring in and managed to find a smaller one from the local napa. with a bit of finessing to get the large oring to sit right in the hole of the shim and getting the whole cam block slide on the pump, it was tricky going, but it made it on there and got tightened down.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

then i had to fab the brake handle assembly to replace the worn out one. used some flat and 7/16 plated bar to make one up. also had to replace the pin in the lower arm that the brake arm fits on.....

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

new nyliner bushings and made a roller for the end of the shifter to brake pedal disengagement bracket.

IMG_0875.jpg

test fitting.....

the shifter is a whole lot better with all new nyliner bushings as well....

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

all good, so back together with the trans and tractor. put in a new cam block as well...

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

seems to work good, once the tractor is running i will see if theres any issues. im not 100% sure if the brake arm assembly is doing its job properly though, just doesnt seem to move enough up and down. maybe its because i was so used to how much movement there was before. heres how it looks engaged and disengaged. i dont have another setup exactly the same to compare so im not sure if all the 'angles' are right. it seems to loosen up the belt enough around the engine pulley

engaged....

IMG_0885.jpg

disengaged....

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

handle for the brake was still available......

IMG_0888.jpg

made up a fan guard as well. just need to get the trans filled with fluid and finish bolting on some other stuff and then it will be time to make sure it doesnt leak....

wish me luck.......

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Beautiful work as always Martin! Hope it works well. :thumbs:

WH252-H

New parts are nice but I really get satisfaction from rebuilding old parts or manufacturing a new part. Even better is when you can build a new part that improves the original.

Great job Martin! Keep us informed.

Martin

i hope im not speaking too soon here, but it doesnt leak. everything works as it should. found a trans plate decal that i got from terry, so i blasted the rust off the trans plate and painted it today along with the brake arm assembly and the fan guard.....

after a few minor adjustments it was off for a ride.......

heres the finish up pics......

fabbed up fan guard..

IMG_0890.jpg

decal install...

first i wet sanded the powdercoat on the decal side of the plate to try and flatten all the rust pitting, then i got my trusty squeegee tool, some window cleaner and the decal for the install.....

IMG_0892.jpg

sprayed both the plate and decal back side with window cleaner and applied the decal.

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

once positioned central, then you need to squeegee all the window cleaner out from between the decal and plate. working from the center out push all the bubbles and window cleaner to the edges. watch that you dont push too hard and scratch the decal surface.

IMG_0895.jpg

cut out the center piece and bolt holes when decal is dry and install on tractor.....

IMG_0897.jpg

all done, drives great, no leaks and the shifter and brake lever assembly is more user friendly.

IMG_0899.jpg

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Looks great Martin! How long do you think you're going to be able to resist restoring the rest of the machine? :ychain: You know it starts by making little pieces like that beautiful, and then before you know it, the whole thing is in little pieces all over the shop. :ROTF:

Martin

matt, im really trying to keep this as a worker. since i got this one ive wanted to rebuild it, but i decided to do the 1057 instead. not sure what will be going on next, still doing stuff on the 1057 and would really like to finish one first before starting another. im sort of searching for another tractor, but nothing yet.........

ol550

Martin, Good job on the linkage. But, be sure to put a horse blanket on that seat

so you don't get snagged or worse. :ROTF: Mike

• Like 2

dclarke

Nice job Martin! :thumbs:

312Hydro

Great job and nice tutorial on the decal!

AMC RULES

Martin, Good job on the linkage. But, be sure to put a horse blanket on that seat

so you don't get snagged or worse. :ROTF: Mike

At this point, I think Martin's well past the "gettin snagged" stage.

These :wh:'s obviously "snagged" him along time ago. :thumbs:

Martin

gave it a good work out today, not only did it mow my small yard, but i did the neighbors large front and rear yard and then her back field as well. the field hadnt been mowed for at least 3 weeks and most of it was as tall as the hood on the tractor. her jd crapped itself so she hadnt mowed......

so wheelhorse to the rescue, talk about some awesome seat time, i was on the 1277 for 2 1/2 hours, it ran excellent, that k301 took everything i threw at it....

and still no leaks on the hydro......

im a happy man right now...... :thumbs:

heres the back field, goes all the way back to the far buildings....

IMG_0900.jpg

cant believe i started with 3/4 tank of gas, used almost all of it and filled it to 3/4 full again. then i had about 1/3 tank when i was done? this thing used less gas to mow for 2 1/2 hours than the 875 did for an hour mowing just our yard. the little 8 hp worked harder than the 12 though.....

bowtiebutler956

It's funny how that works Martin. I've notice that if you have plenty of power for the job they get much better fuel economy than if they were a smaller engine being over worked. Then of course there is my sons 3hp Bantam that drinks more fuel doing nothing but riding Danny around, than my K-301 drinks while mowing grass. I used the standard procedure to adjust the carb, but its a thirsty one! :ychain:

oneshort

I recently got an 876 and some linkages have been modified. mine has no parking brake handle and the parts diagram i have does not  show one. Your tractor is one year later and hydro and has it.

Did mine not come with it?

Sarge

'66 models have a different belt engagement handle setup - it sits much lower below the seat pan and it's brake arm is also different . Go find the drawings for the T-876 and you'll see it .

Very common for those slotted handles to wear over time , I made a new one for mine and allowed a bit extra on the slot to add a bronze oilite bushing/bearing to stop the wear .

I hope you looked closely at the rear frame plate where the trans bolts up for cracks , heavily weighted and worked they are known to break apart . Mine is in the shed right now , have to build a whole new rear plate and fix the frame as well ....lol . Rear ags, chains and liquid tires w/weights - 145lbs each , maybe a bit too much traction ??

Sarge