Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

Harrowing

WheelHorse_of_course

Hey Folks,

Finally got to use my moldboard plow since I installed the lift cable on the Charger 12. This was unplowed dirt and there were some roots. Plus I was using turf tires without chains. So I did have to back up and pick up speed in several spots to pull through. Anyway, it did a good job and now I have had some rain so it is time to get out and harrow it and get on with planting.

I have no disc or other harrow :(. I am thinking that maybe I can break things up using my spike aerator.

The other available implements are a front dirt blade, rear blade with scarifier, and a furrower.

Any suggestions?

IthacaJeff

WH of course. . .

The best I can offer is that you rent a tiller. I know, you've got a tractor and want to use it. After moldboarding mine last year,

the first time in about 10 years it have been turned (former farmland), it still took 3 passes with the tiller to get it fully tilled.

I'm sure some of the experienced folks out here have done some creative tilling and will have some ideas.

Jeff

farmer

I agree with Jeff, hire or borrow a tiller, unless your soil is very easy to work.

Otherwise it could be very frustrating trying to break it down. The best cultivation tool is the weather. :twocents-twocents: