Sign in to follow this  
bean

does everyone end up with a 416-8 or 520h?

Jake Kuhn

Someday I would like to own one of those tractors but for now, I stick to the older stuff. Just do not really need a horse and i think the older ones are neater. Jake

JackC

<<those onan engines have the most beautiful sound. it's like the ferrari of the tractor world >>

I had a guy cut my lawn for me.

My main mower is a 520HC but it is not running right (surging) so I have my backups ready to go.

He started with my C-175 and said how nice it was and how nice it ran.

He finished with my 416H and when he finished he said "now that sounds like a real tractor".

You cannot beat the sound of those ONANs.

dwayneGT

I'm kind of partial to my GT 1142 8 speed (which I repowered the B&S to a 13hp clone) it's the best cutting tractor I've ever had but I just got a '72 GT14 hydro (for free) that needs some TLC. Maybe some day I'll get 520,it all depends on how many horses I can have before the wife gets on my case.

Wheel Horse Kid

520's are awesome tractors, but it is really not that practical for me, as we live in a subdivision and I really don't need a tractor that large. I am more than happy with my 312-8. I love that tractor and it does everything that I ask it to do. Sure, like everybody else, there have been times when I would like to have more hp, but I always come back to my 312-8!

HunterdonNJ

I've had nothing but C tractors in my life up till now. My 79 c121 needed the motor rebuilt as my lawn is very hilly and is hard on the motors. So I had a chance to get a 96 416h just last month. I'm sold on the tractor for sure. What suprises me is (1) the air the flywheel pushes threw the motor as grass has to be knocked off the screen often and yet everyone has heating concerns. (2) How light the front wheels were as I guess that 16 twin is lighter then the cast steel kohlers of the C tractors. Had to add front wheel weights to keep the front from lifting. (3) This puppy can suck fuel like a no tomorrow.

Jonas

boovuc

Well I'll be da**ed! If you look at my collection, I'm guilty on all counts.

This leaves three eventualities! Taxes and somewhere before death, a few Onan powered Wheelhorses. :)

Hydro

I've had nothing but C tractors in my life up till now. My 79 c121 needed the motor rebuilt as my lawn is very hilly and is hard on the motors. So I had a chance to get a 96 416h just last month. I'm sold on the tractor for sure. What suprises me is (1) the air the flywheel pushes threw the motor as grass has to be knocked off the screen often and yet everyone has heating concerns. (2) How light the front wheels were as I guess that 16 twin is lighter then the cast steel kohlers of the C tractors. Had to add front wheel weights to keep the front from lifting. (3) This puppy can suck fuel like a no tomorrow.

Jonas

Jonas, that is one of their problems. They suck so much grass that it blocks cooling for the back cylinder! Check out the drive belt cover modifications...there is too much of an obstruction with the factory belt guard to cool that rear cylinder. I loved my 416H too but I lost the engine with 450 hours and I blew mine out with a leaf blower frequently. I also power washed.

MalMac

One of the biggest problems with the Onan that a couple of you touched on is how much grass and other junk they suck into the grass screen. I am always stopping and cleaning the screen. It's so bad when doing leaves that I carry a broom with me and have to brush it off from the seat so I don't have to stop every 10 feet.

When I have seen other people that are using Onans mowing. I have notice grass screens all clog up. They are totally oblivious to it. I wonder if that has led to many premature failures of a lot of 416's and 520's. There is not any motor I am aware of that when they get hot they don't fail in some sort of way. It's a good motor just not set up right for the average Joe that just starts and goes and does not pay attention to his or her equipment. The 520's or 416 with the Onan is just not your average trail riding horse. It's a thoroughbred that is very persnickety and takes a lot of attention.

varosd

as always it all about maintence.

but the guy across the street has a mid 90's vertical shaft WH and he does no maintenice other than add gas and he runs over leaves, sticks and often the echo of him hitting a rock comes across the road, and he is maxing out the seatsprings by about 300 pounds...yet it always starts!!

You can't kill these WH's.

TheReDStAnG

Coming from someone who has 3 520's, they are one bad little pony. Gobs of power, strong tranny, and the hydro lift makes it hard to beat. Granted the 520 is the biggest tractor :wh: has made in the last 25 years, and can handle every power robbing attachment made for them, they aren't the best for everything. I wouldn't buy one just to mow the yard, a 312-8/H or 314-8/H could handle that along with many of the other attachments. But up north here, when it snows it dumps and a 12hp Kohler is no substitute for a snorting 20 hp Onan chained up with a 2 stage blower rearing to go. Those are the times when you forget the extra gas money the Onan eats. When I just need to pull out a tractor to trot around or do some light duty work, the GT 1800 (11 hp clone) is more than enough.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I bought my 312-8 brand new in April of 1991. It has always been my favorite LAGT. It will run a 48inch side discharge deck all day, and then do it all over again the next day. I like it so much that as it got older I would mow less with it and more with my JD 325. The JD is a great machine, but I never have had any mechanical love for it like the 312. I think only a Wheel Horse person will understand this. I finally retired the 312 from mowing duties this year. It has only 515 hours on it, and is now doing tiller duty only. Since the NC Meet and Greet I have added a set of rear wheel weights to it from my Grandads 1950's model Simplicity 2 wheeled walk behind tractor. I painted them red to cover the Simplicity orange, and it looks great. That 312 will go to the grave with me. Heck, I might be buried on it!

Since taking the 312 off mowing duty, I this year bought a 417-A from the estate of someone who was not buried on his Wheel Horse. It took some carb tweaking, and charging system surgery but now is my Wheel Horse mower. It has the series 2 Kohler KT-17 engine, and I really like the way it runs, sounds, and am happy with the fuel economy. I will say that even though the 417 has five more rated horsepower that the 312, I can't say there is a huge difference in the mowing capability of the 417 as the 312 produces so much torque.

I do have a 1995 520 series that one day is going to be a project repower tractor. Not sure yet what to repower it with. I keep thinking diesel though but nothing definate yet.

I think my next running/working/ready to go Wheel Horse will probably be a 400 series Kohler 18hp Magnum model. I think I would really like that if is anything at all like the KT-17. Overall I am completely sold on the 300 and 400 series Wheel Horses, although they haven't made a Wheel Horse yet that I do not like.

Thats my 3cents guys:)

Van

SAM58

I've got a little different take on this - maybe...

The 520H with swept forward axle and steering reduction is a mighty fine tractor. It looks awsome and the sound of the Onan is very cool. They are the BMW of Wheelhorse tractors - IMHO.

I've got two 520H tractors and a 314-8. I still like the 314-8 better, but use both for mowing and different chores. I highly recommend having at minimum a gear drive tractor and a hydro tractor.

That being said, your post might ought to read, "Does everyone end up with a 416-8 AND a 520H." :)

Bill

I agree with Bill...

I have a 314-8 that I would not part with, also a 1996 520H that is the best thing to mow hills with that I have used.

I owned a 416-8 and let a guy talk me out of it.

I have never sold one that I did not regret in some way. They are all WH's.

jaydeer

It all depends on what you want your tractor to do. Ultimately what will happen (If you have a big yard) will be that you buy a zero turn to mow with, keep a 520 for a back up mower, get a C195 for a back up back up, pick up as many wheel horses that you can find and can afford, including round hoods, rare models, examples of each type, until you have all of your neighbors staring at you and wondering if you need to be locked up because of some rare OCD affliction. Fight it all you want, but this is the evolution of the wheel horse collector.

• Like 7

Wheel-N-It

It all depends on what you want your tractor to do. Ultimately what will happen (If you have a big yard) will be that you buy a zero turn to mow with, keep a 520 for a back up mower, get a C195 for a back up back up, pick up as many wheel horses that you can find and can afford, including round hoods, rare models, examples of each type, until you have all of your neighbors staring at you and wondering if you need to be locked up because of some rare OCD affliction. Fight it all you want, but this is the evolution of the wheel horse collector.

Right on about the Zero Turn Mower. I have one of those too, but keep it at the girlfriends house to mow her yard with. Its fast alright but has no mental therapy factor. I need that for stress relief, and can only get that with seat time on a classic LAGT like a Wheel Horse. And again yes regarding the OCD for old LAGTs. There are a couple guys at work who think that of me but at the same time think its cool, so there is hope for them thank goodness.

bean

:laughing-rofl:

you are right. I am trying to take a minimalist approach to life now and this wheel horse thing is making it difficult. there are always several good deals around me. the other day I had to fight the urge to pick up a 10hp 8spd with a 42" and 36" deck. the next day it was a workhorse.today, it is an rj. I could literally see myself with 30-40 tractors in different states of repair in a few years. so, I decided to limit myself to one tractor. and after a lot of consideration, I picked a 310-8. it will do everything I need( mow, garden,snow removal, etc) now, I just need to disable craigslist on my computer. :)

AMC RULES

So true, and very well said Jay. :thumbs:

varosd

I bought my 312-8 brand new in April of 1991. It has always been my favorite LAGT. It will run a 48inch side discharge deck all day, and then do it all over again the next day. I like it so much that as it got older I would mow less with it and more with my JD 325. The JD is a great machine, but I never have had any mechanical love for it like the 312. I think only a Wheel Horse person will understand this. I finally retired the 312 from mowing duties this year. It has only 515 hours on it, and is now doing tiller duty only. Since the NC Meet and Greet I have added a set of rear wheel weights to it from my Grandads 1950's model Simplicity 2 wheeled walk behind tractor. I painted them red to cover the Simplicity orange, and it looks great. That 312 will go to the grave with me. Heck, I might be buried on it!

Since taking the 312 off mowing duty, I this year bought a 417-A from the estate of someone who was not buried on his Wheel Horse. It took some carb tweaking, and charging system surgery but now is my Wheel Horse mower. It has the series 2 Kohler KT-17 engine, and I really like the way it runs, sounds, and am happy with the fuel economy. I will say that even though the 417 has five more rated horsepower that the 312, I can't say there is a huge difference in the mowing capability of the 417 as the 312 produces so much torque.

I do have a 1995 520 series that one day is going to be a project repower tractor. Not sure yet what to repower it with. I keep thinking diesel though but nothing definate yet.

I think my next running/working/ready to go Wheel Horse will probably be a 400 series Kohler 18hp Magnum model. I think I would really like that if is anything at all like the KT-17. Overall I am completely sold on the 300 and 400 series Wheel Horses, although they haven't made a Wheel Horse yet that I do not like.

Van

now that is the spirit!! Instead of a open casket, you could have a "open hood" viewing!!! :D

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Van

now that is the spirit!! Instead of a open casket, you could have a "open hood" viewing!!! :D

:ROTF:

CTBT&D

I started with a new 1993 266H with deck and tiller, traded that in 2009 for a 1991 416H with deck, plow blade, single stage thrower and tiller. Bought a 2 stage thrower to replace the single. Then had to buy a 1995 520H, no attachments. Next came a 1990 416-8 with mower deck. A couple of weeks ago a 1981 C85 (non running) followed me home. During that time from 2009, two more plow blades, two grader blades, a single stage, a 1992 20HP Onan engine, a sickle bar and a snow cab has accumulated in my garage. None of them I mow with, used for snow removal, moving dirt, sickle bar, moving rocks and spraying the weeds. So I guess I followed the same trend as others. I have to agree about the sound of the Onans! :handgestures-thumbupright:

bo dawg

I agree 520's/Onans are sweet, but yes definitely a gas hog! I used my father n laws 520 with a 60" deck on it and was the best cut I ever saw on any cutting machine. There's no bouncing a 60" deck and makes for a smooth carpet like cut.

BUT...even though with that being said, I rather use my C-175 for best over all performance. Nice ride and handles what I throw at it. Dont use it on slopes (KT17 1series since they have the lubrication problem) but good for anything else. I can cut my whole yard with a strong 1/2 a tank a gas where it would take 1 1/2 to 2 tanks on the 520.

Love to own one but will wait for it to come to me, I wont go looking for it. I love the C's and especially the big block single 16hp Kohlers :bow-blue: :banana-rock:

whc160

I have never had a 520. I love my C's with the 16hp Kohler's. They run smooth and have enough power for me. They are used for mowing, garden work, snow duty, and more. I don't know if I would want to deal with the Onan problems. At this time I live in town & if I move out of town I would more than likely buy a compact tractor for bigger jobs. Just to take some of the work load off of the :wh: 's.

That being said yes I have three 16hp tractors just older than the 416-8. And I would not do without them.

Ken B

Are the Onans really that much of a hog on gas? Lets not forget that the fuel tank is pretty small, 2.5 gallons or so and a 60 inch deck does put quite a load on an engine. Granted, my 520 only has a 42 inch deck on it but I mowed my lawn (only a 1/4 acre of mowable grass) and my Dads 1 acre and I have over a half tank of a gas left.

I suppose I really won't know unless I have a 60 incher under my 520 or if I'm running a snow thrower on it.

WH520

Are the Onans really that much of a hog on gas? Lets not forget that the fuel tank is pretty small, 2.5 gallons or so and a 60 inch deck does put quite a load on an engine. Granted, my 520 only has a 42 inch deck on it but I mowed my lawn (only a 1/4 acre of mowable grass) and my Dads 1 acre and I have over a half tank of a gas left.

I suppose I really won't know unless I have a 60 incher under my 520 or if I'm running a snow thrower on it.

I have a 48" deck on my 518. Today I mowed with it for 2.5 hours and used a little over a 1/4 tank of gas which IMO isn't bad. It did use a lot more gas before I adjusted my deck. It was cutting way to low and put a lot more load on the engine. I didn't realize how much extra load was on it until I got the deck adjusted correctly.

Now the engine's not working very hard and I haven't gotten to hear the Onan work. Might have to drop the deck back down....:lol:

rick

I started with a 310-8, next was a C-111, then a C-100, along came a 314-8, and then a 416H. I gave the 310-8 to one daughter, the C-111 to the other daughter. i use the 416H for mowing duties, the 314-8 is the work bull, and the C-100 is the spare. I am considering parting with the 416H, as I am unable to adjust the 48" deck to the highest cut position. It's the deck, not the tractor. I would use the proceeds of the sale to buy a new 42" deck shell to use with the 314-8. The 416H is awesome, and will cut taller grass than I expected (and should cut, since it's not a bush hog) but the package is more than I need. The C-100 will cut good as new with it's 42" deck.

CRE1992

I had a 520H, and a 416H. I sold them however I regretted selling the 416H. Now I have this 418A, she needs a good cleaning and some wax and polish. But I have been holding off because she needed some more TLC.

Van

f82238b4.jpg

• Like 1