Sign in to follow this  
ssbn642

Why no love for the A-800 Ranger?

ssbn642

I have one that my brother gave me. 32" mowing deck, 8 hp tec motor. Cuts great and has a lot of power. Now granted, it's the only horse in this stable, (so far), but nobody seems to talk about them.

I know they were only made in 1974, so I'd think there would be more interest, but I guess not. Thoughts?

post-6430-0-24302700-1337774703.jpg

Pollack Pete

Personally,I don't care for the vertical shaft engine Horses.Also,I don't like the rear wheels held on wirh a key and keyway.Just my opinion.I'm sure someone here is in love with these tractors.Just not me.

SousaKerry

Vertical shaft tractors seem to be the red headed stepchild of Wheel Horse. I do admit to owning two (neither currently run) and while they are good lawn mowers they are not good for much else. Most WH fans typically want to do much more then mow with their tractors. They also tend to represent everything that went wrong with the industry, as in today you can not buy a good capable garden tractor that can mow, cultivate, plow, blow, tow, rototill, disk, haul, and on and on day in and day out for 30+ years. That is unless you want to spend big bucks and buy a subcompact tractor that is not very practical to the average hobby gardener and general person who just wants to do everything themselves and not pay through the nose to do it.

Even the main competition to WH in the day (JD, Cub, ect.) no longer makes a capable garden tractor with a heavy duty ground engaging transmission and horizontal shaft engine.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Typically speaking, just no love for the Tecumseh engines here...period.

I think it's fair to say it's Kohler country here on :rs:

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Could not agree more! It is Kohler country here!

• Like 1

Ken B

So long as you like it that is all that matters, no matter what you have you are always welcome here.. I'd love to see it all fixed up like new myself.

• Like 6

WH520

So long as you like it that is all that matters, no matter what you have you are always welcome here.. I'd love to see it all fixed up like new myself.

Yup.

It is almost 40 years old and it's still around so it can't be all THAT bad. I'm willing to bet you won't see a lawn tractor that's made today around in 40 years.

I do have to say I've had bad experiences with a 12hp Tecumseh on a Massey Ferguson. You couldn't keep a starter or headgasket on it for longer than 2 months.

wheeledhorseman

Firstly :WRS: and secondly I'd like to endorse the above :handgestures-thumbup: .

That's a nice little tractor you've got there and as it's all up together and running a fairly easy resto to get you into the hobby. If you enjoy doing it and are pleased with the results then there's plenty of time to move on to the 'prefered' tractors. I've been tempted several times now to get one myself so I'd have an A, B, C & D in my stable.

The vertical shaft Horses were on the whole at the entry level of the market and I doubt it was envisaged that some of them would last for as long as they have. They were 'lawn tractors' for lighter work rather than 'garden tractors' for heavier use but in a way so what? It has the same classic 70s look and deserves to be loved and preserved by somebody otherwise one day there'll be no examples of them left.

I say don't be put off - go for it and get into a really rewarding hobby.

Andy

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Personally,I don't care for the vertical shaft engine Horses.Also,I don't like the rear wheels held on wirh a key and keyway.

This is the difference between a "lawn-mower", and a "garden tractor".

If all you plan on doing is mow with it, more power to you.....if you want to push gravel, dirt, snow or till a garden, that Wheel Horse will not do the job.

CRE1992

I have to agree with some of what other said above. It is a lawn tractor not a garden tractor. However it is what it is, and if you like it thats all that matters! Welcome to Redsquare!

-Charles

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: They are not too bad of a tractor,just as others stated they are a lawn tractor or one of the entry models. I do have a b111 that I really enjoy though,gives a really nice cut and can fit in tight spaces. Jake

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: It may not be a garden tractor, but its still a :wh: , and built better than any lawn tractor you can buy today. It still has that classic :wh: styling as well. Are you going to fix it up? :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

can whlvr

pretty every thing has been said allready but it is a wheelhorse so it is probally a great LAWN mower,fix her up and have fun doing it,then you will be ready to get a garden tractor for the a to hang out with

tbbahner

Hang in there. They all have their place. I've had these vertical's for years. Was going to seel them but the wife wouldn't let me. Said it would break up the family. Most of the verticals have gone to the crushers along with the MTD's, Crapsman, etc. Still waiting on their value to go up but won't see it while I'm alive.

Like they said, if you like it, it don't matter, its all good. A81 & A111

Tom B

WHline1.jpg

• Like 1

ssbn642

:WRS: It may not be a garden tractor, but its still a :wh: , and built better than any lawn tractor you can buy today. It still has that classic :wh: styling as well. Are you going to fix it up? :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Some day, just not yet. This LAWN TRACTOR has a great turning radius and a lot of power for a 8HP. As for the tec engine, it's original with the equipment, and I'm not going to change that. Did I mention that this tec engine is 38 years old and still running strong......

squonk

Read my title above my avatar! :)

Hammerhead
018.jpg I like them just fine, mine came from an old timer in his 80's. He kept it nice over the years. It runs like a top! Good luck with yours. KJ

Don1977

I don't like vertical shaft engines. I have one on my dad's old Snapper RER.

Road-Track

<p>Some vertical shaft Wheel Horses (89, 257H Kawasaki) can push "BIG" Snow and hold up mowing and plowing year round. The Eaton 700 transaxle has held up once I welded the shaft spines to the diff after they wore out from plowing a 350ft driveway over 20 years in northern Vermont. I wore out more chains than Wheel Horses! I also have a C145 14 hp Kohler as of last year, but respect the first Wheel Horse and feel the vertical engine/Eaton 700 are much tougher than most people think.

post-3435-0-38302600-1338347264_thumb.jp

Wheel Horse Kid

018.jpg I like them just fine, mine came from an old timer in his 80's. He kept it nice over the years. It runs like a top! Good luck with yours. KJ

Very clean looking Wheel Horse!

Wheel-N-It

Hey, its a WheelHorse, and as a WH person I can tell you I'd be very happy with it sitting in my garage. If you want to become a WH collector, you have a perfect start. Learn how restore on this one, then next you can get one of the bigger horizontal shaft tractors.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress.