Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Need to knock a bearing out of a spindle

boovuc

I have an old K style spindle housing from a mid 70's 48 inch mower deck. I'm thinking it was or was close to a 75-48MS01 model deck. These are the spindle sets that are sealed. (No zerk fittings). The bottom needle bearing is bad on one of the three spindles I took off a rotted deck and I want to get this spindle back up and running. I took the snap rings out, have the spindle out along with the top bearing but..................I cannot figure out how to get that lower bearing out of the housing. I'll assume that it needs to be knocked out the top "from the bottom" but it hasn't budged. Any one know what size pipe to use so I whack on the bearing and not the seat? Advice?

By the way, if anyone knows what the NAPA replacement is on a Toro Consumer 100289 needle bearing, it may save me some time talking to an 18 year old kid at the local NAPA counter. :ychain:

Thanks in Advance!

squonk

My Napa Prolink cannot cross that Toro number. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Martin

this might be of help.......

Martin

i did a little more searching after reading the link i posted above and found this google image on the 100289 bearing. this looks similar to some of the torringtons which are used in the unidrives. if the spindle shaft is 3/4 and the id of the spindle is 1" from the pic of the 100289 it looks about the right proportions for a b-1212. can you get there to read the side of the bearing to read any numbers?

toro 100289.

toro100289.jpg

torrington b-1212

IMG_0846.jpg

if this is correct, the b-1212 is around $7.00 ea through motion industries.....

stevasaurus

I had a stubborn bearing like that in a transmission that I was rebuilding. I ended up cutting through one side with a Dremel tool and a carbide bit. Once you get close you can take an awl and get behind the metal and it will snap. Took me about 20/30 minutes to cut it. :)

• Like 1

boovuc

Thanks guys,

I can't get the bearing out of the spindle housing so I can't read anything on it. I read the link and I'm still fuzzy on which direction this puppy comes out.

Do i knock it back into the spindle housing or does this bearing come out the bottom. I think by common sense it comes out through the top meaning back into the housing but I want to make sure before I start banging on it. I have a plastic pipe that I believe I can use to drive it out. I just need reassurance I'm driving it the right way so I don't booger up the housing. I'll heat it up before I drive it once I know which way it comes out.

KC9KAS

Your plastic pipe will melt if you heat the housing.

boovuc

Good thing I don't listen to common sense. I put the whole housing in isopropanol and finally saw that it had to go down through the bottom. Heated the housing lightly with a torch and wacked it through using a wooden dowl rod. (The schedule 60 was too big).

Here's the deal. There are absolutly no markings on this bearing! :eek:

I'll take it to work and do some fairly precise measurements and see if the Torrington B-1212 is a good cross ref.

Thanks,

Martin

thats great you got that bearing out.

the b-1212 is .750 id x 1.00 od. x .750 wide. the one i had in the pic above i measured the od and it came in at 1.002

boovuc

Hi Martin,

I just measured the bearing I removed last night here at work. The B-1212 should work. This old bearing is .750ID, x 1.00OD and .801 width.

Considering how hard it was to get out of the housing, the .750 width of the B-1212 will be better. I almost have to wonder if the bearing I took out wasn't a Torrington JT-1213. It is identicle to the B-1212 in all but width. It's width is 13/16". That's closer to the JT-1312 according to our cheap digital caliper. Regardless, I'm going with the B-1212 at about $7.50 each at NAPA. I don't think that would be too loose. I couldn't find any specs for the original Toro Consumer 100289 needle bearings.

Thanks,

boovuc

Forgot to follow-up on this bearing. The B1212 did work and I found another place cheaper than NAPA. (personal discount at a local store). The B1212 replaces the lower needle bearing which was Toro's 100289.

The top bearing for the old spindles, (Toro 101411), changed somewhat also. An R12-RS was replaced by an R12-2RS. In any event, I have the three spindle housings all rebuilt and have all three original iron pulleys also. It feels good having some spare parts for my 42 and 48 inch mower decks.