tomtractor

Changing Mower Blades

Wes P

How do I get a wrench that will work? Do I just need to buy a 1 1/8" Box End/Open End wrench and grind it down to fit?

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: I've been able to get by with a pipe wrench on the spindle hex. 

Reading through this post, I'm thinking I need to get 1 1/8 wrench and grinding it thinner.  Probably will keep a bucket of water handy to dunk the end of the wrench being ground frequently to preserve the temper.  If I get a combo wrench, I will be able to use the box end on the mule drive nut - instead of borrowing the table saw arbor wrench.

• Like 2

Wes P

I would guess I am applying 350 lbs of torque and the nut is not moving!

Removing Deck Nuts.jpg

Wes P

I have sprayed the nut with Liquid Wrench 3 nights in a row!

By looking at the blades, I would guess the deck has not been serviced for at least 12 years...

8ntruck

Impact is your friend.  3 lb hammer on the end of the pipe wrench.  Also might try tightening the nut before loosening - repeatedly.

Keep soaking with penetrating oil.  Apply some heat to the nut.  Don't give up.  It took 12 years to set up.  It is not going to break loose quickly.

• Like 1

Wes P

Really good advise 8ntruck!

Impact will not work, the nuts are worn down to where the 1 1/8 socket will not bite.

I didn't think to tighten then loosen!

I will give it another go tomorrow!

lynnmor

You may need to split the nut with a Dremel or similar grinder.  Maybe an auto parts store could loan you a nut splitter but I don't know if you can find one that large.

Wes P

Good suggestion!

The Jam Nuts are available through eBay, Part No 9150904, I ordered 6. I will have them by next Wednesday.

I will try one more time today, if it doesn't work I will try the nut splitter.. Thanks for your help!

Wes P

The Jam Nuts broke free this morning! I guess they just needed one more night of soaking in Liquid Wrench. The threads were wet when they came off! The Wheel Horse Blade Box brings back old memories! Thank you all for your kind help!

1288184602_RemovingDeckNuts3.jpg.130b4aef55489322789d2e2a682326fe.jpg

Removing Deck Nuts 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

8ntruck

Na.  The nuts heard us discussing various ways to make them let go.  All of the ideas unpleasant for the nuts.  They let go in self preservation!  :D

• Haha 1

stumplifter

Late to the party here.  My .02,  having the proper tools is best. 
Stuck nuts?  No impact wrench?   Get your little torch out, gently heat the nut and touch some paraffin to it.  The heat expands the nut, the paraffin wicks in between the threads and presto!