Sign in to follow this  
1maidenfan

Onan BF 16 hp engine out of time??? spitting fuel out carb.

1maidenfan

I have an 16hp Onan twin in my D160 and It is out of time according to my service/repair manual. It reads that you have to use a test light to check timing and the timing mark on the flywheel. I checked this according to my manual and the timing is off by roughly 13*.

My question is...can I adjust the pionts on this or is it an internal issue? I have not taken the flywheel off to check the timing marks on the cam and crank. Do I need to do that or can I adjust it at the points?

Thank you in advance for any and all replys and info.

John

Reason I was checking this is that I rebuilt the carb a few weeks ago and it ran great for 2 mowings, the 3rd mowing didnt even make it to the yard, I pulled the air cleaner and fuel was spitting out the top into the filter housing.

Any ideas?

stevasaurus

Could be a stuck float or float valve, check the float for proper adjustment also. :)

1maidenfan

Ok, I adjusted the valve clearence, off just slightly, got the timing set correctly. Fired it up and it ran for about 1-2 min and flooded out again :angry-banghead::angry-cussingblack::angry-tappingfoot:

Ok, carb comes off once again. I do believe the needle is sticking open, not sure why a new one would do this but sure seams that way. :confusion-confused:

Will have to order a new neddle valve and seat :confusion-waiting: as no one around here carries onan parts. :eusa-think:

I did check the adjustment on the float and it's dead on (1/8") according to manual.

Will see what happens with another new one. :confusion-seeingstars: :confusion-shrug:

Herbl

Check to make sure the float is not taking on any gas, if the needle and seat are good then it's most likely the float..

Herb

1maidenfan

Thanks for the suggestion on the float. I replaced the old composite one with a new metal one and when I took the carb apart, again, I found liquid in the floats. I believe this is my problem. I have contacted the seller I purchased the float from so hopefully I can get it replaced.