Sign in to follow this  
Tap53

IRON DEFICIENCY OF ORNAMENTAL CRAB AND LILAC

Tap53

I generally apply a 10-10-10 fertilizer or osmocote time release to all nursery stock in early spring, as an experiment I did not apply anything to 2 ornamental crab and 1 lilac last year or this early spring, I thought I would see a little change in foliage last summer, but everything looked good all year, but this year the Crab and Lilac took a turn for the worst in 3 days,, so, as a protective measure most trees and shrubs should have a lite application of fertilizer even though everything looks good, at the stage they are at now, 10% iron chelate incorporated plus a foliage drench should take care of the problem.

AMC RULES

Not sure I understand what you mean 'they took a turn for the worst in three days."

The images you've provided look to be blooming. :scratchead:

Tap53

Craig,there are no blossoms, On deciduous trees, the leaf veins remain green while the area between the veins turns yellow-green to yellow. Leaves that emerge in early spring are frequently normal size, while those that emerge later in the growing season are often smaller and more yellow. In severe cases, the leaf color may change from yellow to white and finally brown. In advanced stages, twig dieback may be observed, especially toward the top of the tree and the ends of long branches. After several years, the tree may die if the condition is not treated.

The grouping of leaves is the way the tree is trying to survive, small, curled, it is call Rosetting, they should have bloomed like in the pic, but instead no blooms and short leaf grouping. this is the way the tree reduces leaf area so in turn reduces stress..

I hope this explains it for you Craig, I like that you ask questions and willing to learn.

Never know how long I'll be around so need to get this information out there. :unsure:

Thanks

Trouty56

Tim....cool info. In the last post you describe better what the images in the first post show. You have many talents and have a wealth of knowledge about many things.

sent via mobile....

Tap53

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it,,

I hope the information will help someone, many people dont know what to do when they see problems like this with trees or shrubs, and by the time they add fertilizer, keep watering, hoping it will help, the tree is dead, (LIKE I USE TO DO) There's alot of info on the web about this but that really gets confusing, so I need to find out for myself exactly how, why and what to do to fix it..over the past 40+ years I think I have about 500 some pages of my notes that need to be edited and put into laymens terms so It will be very easy to understand what to do about as far a taking care of any problems that come along plus propagating, time goes so fast hopefully I will get everything in order.

Thanks Again Bob,

Tim

County Agent

I realize this is a relatively old post, but I haven't checked the gardening section in awhile, thus I've just now seen your post regarding the crabapple and lilac trees. I see that you're growing trees in ND and I'm certain the growing conditions there are vastly different than they are here in TN, but I've never seen healthy trees exhibit the twisted, distorted foliage growth shown in your images solely from a nutrient deficiency caused by failure to fertilize them one year. As trees use leaves as light receptors to capture the sunlight needed for photosynthesis which produces the energy used by the plant to live, a typical response of trees suffering from any sort of stress caused by an energy deficiency is to generate as much leaf tissue as possible in order to capture the maximum sunlight possible to, in turn, increase the rate of photosynthesis. Typically a tree that grows well the previous year will have stored enough energy in the root system to produce a normal spring flush of leaves the following year. Did the iron and foliar drench you mentioned correct their appearance ? What was the composition of the foliar drench you used,( if you don't mind revealing your recipe)?

Tap53

County Agent, Sorry, I'm not ignoring your question, just very busy taking cuttings, watering, mowing, spraying weeds, potting, clipping, fertilizing, Gees, it never ends this time of year, as soon as I get a break, I'll have a beer first, then reply...

Thanks for your patience, I always wanted to be a doctor but didn't have enough patients,

Tim