Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

Who has gone to Philmont!?

CRE1992

Well I was talking to ole Stevasaurus last night, and somehow we got talking about Philmont Scout Camp in New Mexico. We started sharing stories, I am only 20 years old, I went when I was 16. Steve went there many moons ago (more than I can count and more than he wishes to disclose :ychain: ). We were curious as to how many other red square members have gone there also.

For those of old, who have gone and wish to be reminded of what they saw, here is a link to the photos that I have from when I went. From the beginning of my journey to the end and over the tooth of time. The pictures are not in any particular order and are from various parts, including Pikes Peak, and the USA Olympic training center in Colorado.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb356/silveradostud/Philmont/

Please share your stories!

-Charles

• Like 1

rmaynard

I was all set to go to Philmont back in 1964 (when I was 14), but as my luck would have it, I came down with the flu and never got to go. My brother who is now 63, has been twice, but only as the scoutmaster of his troop. His last trip was at age 59. Wish I could have gone. My biggest adventure was a 50 miler on the Appalachian Trail.

• Like 1

312Hydro

I was all set to go to Philmont back in 1964 (when I was 14), but as my luck would have it, I came down with the flu and never got to go. My brother who is now 63, has been twice, but only as the scoutmaster of his troop. His last trip was at age 59. Wish I could have gone. My biggest adventure was a 50 miler on the Appalachian Trail.

Never made it to Philmont either. But I also did the Appalachian trail for 50 miles. Ended up at New Caledonia State Park. Our troop (1012) took 1 week to do the hike.Best trip ever.We hiked Forbes Trail and Warriors Trail as conditioners for it. That was in the early 70's. Great pics, you can never take enough on a trip like that! Was that a cogged railway? The scenery is fantastic.

CRE1992

Never made it to Philmont either. But I also did the Appalachian trail for 50 miles. Ended up at New Caledonia State Park. Our troop (1012) took 1 week to do the hike.Best trip ever.We hiked Forbes Trail and Warriors Trail as conditioners for it. That was in the early 70's. Great pics, you can never take enough on a trip like that! Was that a cogged railway? The scenery is fantastic.

That railway, is the ride up to Pikes Peak if you are not driving! Very rickety and slow! But nice views! FYI there is approx 900 photos uploaded on there! And yet there is many more. I didn't want to break photo bucket! lol

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Charles, it was a pleasure talking with you last night...until 3:00AM my time. All of my pictures are 35mm slides (I need to convert them to digital). I think RMaynard and I have talked about this before also, but I did not know what year he was going to go. Funny, he and I are the same age and 1964 was the year that I went. Dang, if he would have gone, I might have crossed paths with him way back then. Boggles the imagination. One thing for sure, if any of you guys have kids in scouts, or are in scouts yourselves, it is the trip of a lifetime. You have to go. :) :) :)

• Like 1

shootinok

Never made Philmont

Actually, I was never even a Scout - but was a Scout Leader for 12 years. My oldest is an Eagle and I spent many, many priceless hours with my two oldest sons and the fine young men in the Scout program.

We camped all over Colorado, Oklahoma, and Arkansas and sent the Boys to Yellowstone for a summer camp without me.

Boy Scouts is one of the best things we ever did together - Absolutely priceless, irreplaceable memories.

clintonnut

I was there last summer!!!!!! Quite the experience! Esp with friends!

We didn't just do Philmont either, we went to Pikes peak, stayed at Colorado University in Aspen and probably the best part of Philmont was free climbing a 200ft cliff with no adults around :angry-nono: Pretty risky but it was amazing. I may post a few pics

• Like 1

i went to Philmont i believe around `67-`68.... became an Eagle scout in 1969

the Boy Scouts was good to me , i learned a lot. i still remember some important life lessons from the Scout Masters ( i had several). i actually saw one of them a few weeks ago and reminded him of what he said at a meeting to another young scout that has stuck to me ever since. he replied to a kid complaining something wasn't fair with "son , life isn't fair...it wasn't ment to be fair , and it will never be fair. the sooner you realize that the lot better you will be off". i took that as things will not be automatically handed out to you and you have to make your own way in life. that's a lesson i believe our youth haven'tlearned yet

another one showed us how to hot wire a car....another usefull bit of imformation

shootinok

I used to tell the boys "scouting may not always teach you what to do... but we'll teach you what knot to do" :D

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I never made it to Philmont either. Several fellows from our troop did go on a few occasions.

Back "in the day" it was BOY Scouts and GIRL Scouts seperate....If girls went back then, I would have made more effort to go!!

I have toured on motorcycle in the West & Rockies and it is beautiful out there!

CRE1992

I never made it to Philmont either. Several fellows from our troop did go on a few occasions.

Back "in the day" it was BOY Scouts and GIRL Scouts seperate....If girls went back then, I would have made more effort to go!!

I have toured on motorcycle in the West & Rockies and it is beautiful out there!

Actually the group I was in is all boy scouts. The girls were in a group called venture crew. Guys can also be in venture. Thus I was a part of both organizations. Unfortunately I never made it to eagle. I had all of the requirements met to be come an eagle, but life hits you hard. My parents were finalizing their divorce, high school sports and drama, along with working on top of everything. I look back at it even though I am 20 and regret not becoming an Eagle. All I know is that when I have kids, and more specifically a son, hes going to Philmont whether he likes it or not! I think it was definitely a big influence on my life. People who were not in it missed out. For all who read this and have sons that are young, I recommend you sign them up.

312Hydro

another one showed us how to hot wire a car....another usefull bit of imformation

Wasn't that one of the requirements for the"Grand Theft Auto" Merit badge? :ychain:

• Like 1

gamaemry305

I went to Philmont in July 2002 as a Scoutmaster. Missed it when I was a Scout. Would not trade that experience for anything. By the end of this summer I will have sectioned hiked the AT from Harper's Ferry, WV. South to Springer Mountain, Ga.