Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

THEY LOST MY CRANKSHAFT!

illinilefttackle

B) Hey Guys! I went to the local Napa yesterday (Fri) to pick up my engine that was all machined and ready. To my surprise, there was no crankshaft. They didn't know what was up either and called the machine shop. The guy there (his name is GUY) said some how it didn't get put with the engine-but I could pick it up Today-Saturday) at 8 am. I said OK.

Well, come 8am I was at the Napa store to get my crankshaft-guess what-no one knows anything about it. I sat there and waited while they tore down their two pallets of 8am stuff from downtown-still nothing. they called downtown, they can't find it either. So I went to work. Got off at 12noon-went downtown-they said they had found it-BUT- I wouldn't be happy- I said "I'm already not happy-hit me with it". They said it was in their Portage MI store-near Kalamazoo. WOW! It was only supposed to travel 7 miles, not 70. Needless to say, My plans to assemble it this weekend went down the drain.

If it was an honest mistake-I understand.-BUT- odds are it was :imstupid: not paying attention mistake. Some one talking on their cell phone, not paying attention to their job that goofed it up. You know, like when you order a Quarter Pounder & Fries at McdDonalds and when you open the bag you get a chicken sandwich and a Parfait. Customer service is LOST in this day and age. Used to be a Hand Shake was all you needed to seal a deal-not now-some one can look you right in the eye and lie to you with a clear consience

I'm still kinda HOT after this. Forgive me. -AL :whistle:

Buzz

That would definetly make you want to scream B):whistle:B)B) Now the question I'd ask is what are they going to do for you to make you happy? Talk to the manager, they should do something, even if it's giving you a discount on some other stuff you need.

HorseFixer

There is no forgiveness necessary Al. Sounds like they slipped you the green weenie :whistle: They should at least make some kind of concession and discount the job. Sorry for your inconvenience. My weekend was ruined when MJ had to work and we missed the meet and greet at Kelly's B)

Duke

Curmudgeon

As much as that sucks, and it DOES SUCK, look for the silver lining. They found the dang crankshaft!!! Once sent off to the wrong place with who knows what paperwork, if any, it might have laid there on the self for years with them not knowing where it cam from or who to send it back to.

Ask them how they are going to make it up anyway!!!!!!!!!!

linen beige

Customer service is LOST in this day and age.

Sad how true that is. B)

Even if it was an honest, one time in a million mistake, they should be bending over backwards to make it up to you, at the very least making it no charge for any of the work done on the crank.

And I would double check any machine work they did if I were you. The folks handling the parts for transit may not be the only inept employees in the company. :whistle:

Rollerman

Al sorry to hear you won't be getting it back together this weekned.

That would be very frustrateing to say the least.

They owe you at this point IMOP.

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Well Guys- I spoke with the manager of Ridge Company this morn-(I don't think he was the Big Dog, they wouldnt put me thru to him for some reason) It seems my crankshaft is meandering its way over to the Niles store, then to down town, then to the Mishawaka store sometime tomorrow-Everyone I talked to seemed really put out about having to discuss it with me, so much for customer service. No mention of compensation, even tho I mentioned it. Probably would be different if I was a BIG customer of theirs. Needless to say-NO MORE MACHING AT THE RIDGE COMPANY!-AL B)

big mike

Al,you have really been through the wringer on this deal!

I had the Ridge machine a motor and it went without a hitch(not trying to rub it in)

I used them because the only other place I know of that will bother with small stuff the guy was not very friendly and made it sound like I was going to do him a favor by letting him work on my iron.........not bloody likely!

Sorry to hear of your bad luck and I would keep the pressure on for them to do SOMETHING to show they value your business......there are lots of other places to buy parts and such.

HorseFixer

Al, I'm glad to know about this. Years ago Niles used to have a machine shop onsite and the guys there did a good job. Now I guess all the machining is done in SB B) And im not likeing this. I think who im gonna have do mine is Kevin at pipestone small engine. He's not the cheapest but hes damn good.

Duke

illinilefttackle

:horseplay: Well La-Tee-Da! My crankshaft has arrived in Mishawaka! It had a scenic Tour of the State of Michigan over 4 days. I again ask about compensation for my inconvience, and was promptly told I would have to kneel down before the "Machine Shop God" and ask for mercy. WRONG-I may be old, busted up,etc but that trips my adreniline button just like the old gridiron days! Phooey!

I'll bet one thing tho, I'll make it my personal project in my daily activities to tell everyone who will listen-NOT-to Patronize Napa-Ridge Company anymore!

I better go get a cold one-it's HOT in here!-Thanks-AL B)

combatmp29r

Al, I would even go one step further and write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. I'm sure they will print it. They seem to love that kind of stuff.You'll get a larger base quicker that way. Of course also use the word of mouth option often.

T-Mo

I have mine done at a small, almost local, machine shop. I know the guy there, he's a friend, and he done me right. They're a small operation, no Napa, no big company, just a small mom and pop type place where customer service is everything.

Teddy da Bear

Al, I would even go one step further and write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. I'm sure they will print it.
Don't bet on it! Our local newspapers are sooooo politically motivated they don't print anything that does not make the regional area and businesses soundsweet smellin' like they fart roses!

Al....do what I do. Go to the BBB (better business burea) website. It is so much easier to make a report now online than it was in the old days.

And you know what? They will even ask you what action you will want taken.

And one of the choices is "reimbursement". And whether or not you receive any compensation..... That record of your complaint will remain for anyone to see it for 1 1/2 years! And that my friend will cost them customers and money. Even if it cost them 3 customers....you fought back and won!

I had a serious problem with a local oral surgeon's staff. I told them what I was going to do if I did not get my $100 back. I did it. Then they called me after they were contacted by BBB. I told them there was nothing to be done...it was written in stone for the next 18 months!

Give it a try....I found it very theraputic to write it down and record the complaint.

poodle

I didn't even know that napa did engine rebuilds how does it work do you just show up and say I want to rebuild this or what?

illinilefttackle

I didn't even know that napa did engine rebuilds how does it work do you just show up and say I want to rebuild this or what?

:thumbs: Poodle-You can call them and ask for the "Machine Shop"-Then tell them what you want. If you take your stuff to the same Napa center that is doing the machining-MAYBE-they won't loose your stuff!-AL

jerrell

Al i have had things like this happen to me several times, and i agree the BBB is the way to go, i made a complaint against Sears and got satisfaction within 3 days, i don't think enough people use the BBB very much but the more that does would make the BBB more powerful..

poodle

cool thanks for the info I'll have to look in to it for my k161 for my 701 thanks to work my resto has yet to really get rolling :thumbs:

KyBlue

I tried to use a local chains machine shop a few years ago, they swapped blocks on me, said the block I sent em was too warped to do anything with :thumbs: How is beyond me, it came out of a running car...

I now use this SMALL local Machine shop. Its a Father N Son who run it, great guys...Good work, Reasonable too!

Did ALL the machine work on a 300 Inline Six, bore, hone, line hone, deck the block, turn the crank .010 and .010, press off the pistons, check the head for cracks, valve job, shave the head, all for just a hair over 300 bucks..took em 3 days, and they had to do a second head (1st was cracked)