Sign in to follow this  
tomtractor

Transmission Problems

tomtractor

I have a C 125 which I just purchased. I purchased it because I wanted a stronger machine that could do work around the house. (I had a Toro 12-32). I want to maintain it properly. Aside from changing oil, greasing, plugs and filters - what else needs to be done. What are the most common problems for the transmission/motor. How do people screw them up. Or is it just wear?

mountainside

HI TOMTRACTOR,

I'M NO WHEEL HORSE EXPERT,BUT I HAVE A FIX IT SHOP AND ALMOST EVERY NEW CUSTOMER I GET ..THE FIRST THING I DO TO THE RIDING MOWERS IS TREAT THE FUEL....I USE LUCAS "TUNE UP IN A BOTTLE" FUEL TREATMENT...IT CLEANS YOUR VALVES AND CARBURATOR...HAS LUBRICATING PROPERTIES TOO...BUT THERE IS OTHER KINDS THAT DO THE SAME THING...LUCAS IS WHAT I USE BECAUSE THATS WHAT MY SUPPLIERS CARRY...BUT THE LUCAS DOES WORK...I'VE SEEN IT FIRST HAND AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT...GOOD LUCK AND REMEMBER "PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE KEEPS THEM ROLLING"!....GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT...BOB

tomtractor

Thanks. I will try that. I would also like to know if there are other typical problems that I can avoid.

Paul D.

Hydro?

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

tomtractor

3 speed Hi/Lo

Paul D.

Those seem to be pretty bullet proof. Regular oil changes on the tranny and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

SousaKerry

Often the seals on the axle shafts will go out, easy to replace if you notice oil spots under your tranny pop em out and slide in some new ones, Also check the condition of the shifter boot if rotted out replace it ASAP if you leave the tractor in the rain it will get water in the tranny. Check the color and condition of the tranny oil if it is milky brown you have water in it , flush it with diesel or K-1 and refill with fresh oil.

Those Kohlers are pretty much bullet proof however simple maintenece will keep them going strong for years. Rebuild the carb if needed, pull the head of and scrape out the carbon deposits and put a new head gasket on. keep the fins cleaned out, pull the shroud off the front of the motor and make sure it's clean. Change the oil and use a heavy duty 30W such as Shell Rotella T, Regular motor oil just won't cut it anymore due to emissions standards, and these engines don't like it. Check your points while your at it, a new set is less then $15 and makes a world of difference in performance.

stevasaurus

Good advice above...how about posting some pictures. Basically, that horse is already 40+ years old and like was said, "they are bullet proof". A little TLC and keep an eye on the fluids and you should have another 40+ years.

:) :) :)

tomtractor

Thanks for all you great advice.

tunahead72

What these guys have already said, plus ...

Make sure you come to a complete stop before you shift gears. If you shift on the fly, you'll eventually damage the high/low shift fork, or cause any other number of problems that would require splitting the transmission case to fix.

Do you have manuals for your tractor and engine, and for your attachments? They're probably available as free downloads somewhere (maybe here), and very useful.

Enjoy your new machine!