Sign in to follow this  
DJ 310-8

My new parts are in..!!

DJ 310-8

I picked up my new spindle assemblies yeaterday... While there asked if they would be kind enough to look up what to torque them to in their service manual...

The mechanic came up front, and said just "snug" them good... "I just hit 'em with the air wrench real good..." I kinda' shuddered after that one... So basically..., I got info that means nuttin' to me... I like to torque things to an even amount on all..

So I guess that means tighten them.., till right before they turn easy..., again... B)

Has anyone else replaced their spindles with the cast aluminum spindle housings..?? Guess I can play with the torque wrench, and progressively torque a little at a time...

Curmudgeon

Crank 'em down until they twist off, then back 'em off 1/16th of a turn. PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!

DJ 310-8

Yup..., at $82.00 a pop for the assemblies, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid...

Makes ya' wonder how many that meck-a-nick has stripped with his impact wrench...

What I've heard heavy eq. mech's call a "factory update" If 4 bolts hold it forever..., 2 or 3 ought to hold it for a good while...

TT

The "standard torque settings when specific values are not specified" chart in one of my small engine manuals call for 35 ft. lb. on a grade 5, 3/8-16 bolt. B)