Sign in to follow this  
mountainside

Tires on my 1968 Charger Electro

mountainside

Since this is my first Wheel Horse , i will have a ton of questions for you guys ! Saturday i was looking at the tires on my 1968 Charger. And on all four tires they say Wheel Horse...Would that be a good bet too say they are originals? I worked at Carlisle Tire And Wheel from 1997 till they closed the plant in Carlisle Pa.on December of 2010.One of the first meetings I attended there in 1997, they actually told us they were going to cheapen the tires because their tires were lasting way too long ! So thats when the synthetic rubber of today came in...(just put that in for anyone intrested). Thanks for all the help and input you all have given me it is greatly appreiciated!!!...BOB...HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YA AT ARNDTSVILLE!

Ken B

It is pretty safe to say they are the originals tires on your Horse. It is also safe to say that the tires were cheapened up as well. The tires on my trailers last only a few yrs. now. The tread wears out faster than it used to, even if the tread is still good they always start to crack now within a few yrs.

fourwheels0

wow all 4 say wheel horse that's rare.

i don't think i've ever come across a tractor that had all 4 still there. i've seen the rears but not the fronts.

if the tread is still good (which it probably is) and they are not holding air well just put tubes in them. they last longer than you will lol.

can whlvr

i had a set that i couldnt tbe because the wire inside was poking out and would puncture the tubes

mountainside

i dug this wheel horse out of a leaf pile and i havent put a pound of air in them yet...lol..unbelievable !

stevezx2

I just picked up a 68 Raider 10 and it has all 4 wheel horse tires on it. It had been sitting for a while but they all pumped up and held air without tubes! I thought about getting a tire paint pen and painting the lettering red or white so it is more noticable.

DSC_0355.jpg

Kelly

I have a bunch of tractors with the WH logo tires, they started about 68 and stopped about 72, now here is one for you, I have 2 sets of White wall WH logo tires, yes they are real white wall not painted on, they made 33 sets for the tractors that were used at the 1968 Indy 500 I know of 4 sets still in existence, and as I said I have 2 sets, the red rims are not correct both sets I have the rims have been painted red.

I need to edit this, my 65 1045 has WH on the front tires, and a few others I have pre 68, have WH on the fronts but not the rears, till 68

100_2079.jpg

100_2080.jpg

Here is a picture of all 33 tractors with white walls at the 68 indy 500

Wheelhorsewhitewalls_2-1.jpg

one towing a car, with white walls

Wheelhorsewhitewalls_1.jpg

This is the first set I got, still on the orig, 1968 tractor

100_7325.jpg

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 1

fourwheels0

ok kelly now your just showing off lol