Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Tire Chains

nylyon

Well, I got those tire chains the day before Thanksgiving, today I'm thinking of putting them on, something I've never done. Any tips?

Rollerman

Karl I've always had the best luck putting them on with the tires air'd down...the mount the chains.

You bought the 2 link right?

Like to see pics either way...most my tire chains came 2nd hand...never seen a shiny new set!

Stephen in northern IN

perry

...most my tire chains came 2nd hand...never seen a shiny new set!

Stephen in northern IN

mine too! :D . i think i am up to about 6 sets. never bought a new pair.

now i just have to get off my arse and get them on. my favorite ones i have are a old set of car chains with the ice grippers on them.

take them off the tractor so you can work on the bench. and as stephan said. take the air out.

nylyon

They're on. In a previous thread I had the snow blower mounted on the C-120. Since I needed to take pictures, that wasn't going to do, so more work for me (thanks Stephen <_ i took the mower deck off and started to put on chains. chains were too long best course of action was cut extra. with tires there ain a whole lot room for any extra chain didn want rip hydraulics or sheet metal. after removing they tight get so jacked up rear which made life easier. next mounting blower we all set big snow fall.>

chains1.jpg

chains2.jpg

chains3.jpg

Yes, I took the air out first, and they are 2-link chains.

Rollerman

I like it Karl, I don't have any 2 link chains..that why I was curious to see them.

I'm thinking about putting my snowblower on my 416-8 speed, but it has a custom hyd lift.

Thanks for the pics...looks good.

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

I'm thinking about putting my snowblower on my 416-8 speed, but it has a custom hyd lift.

Do you have an electric lift on you 416, or did you fabricate some sort of hydraulic pump?

Rollerman

It's electric over hydraulic.

I bought the tractor with it on there.

It looks like a setup used by the RV companies for a power slide out.

You can see the pump & motor just behind the engine in the pic.

It's a 1985 model with the original K series Kohler in it.

Stephen in northern IN

DSCF0003.jpg

nylyon

What a great replacement for the manual lift. Are you concerned that it wouldn't lift the blower? Now, we're going to need a whole new topic to discuss that rear bucket, cause I am sure that everyone is going to want one of those, I know I do!

kj4kicks

Hey Karl, Those shiny new chains look good on there !

On the old 1077, I left them on year round, due to some swampy ground out back. Mine aren't too shiny anymore!

Eldon.

WheelHorse_of_course

When I had my C-120 Auto in North Salem NY I was in hilly country and left my chains on all around.

I am interested in learning more about that bucket...

Rollerman

I bought the tractor with the rear Johnny Bucket and the lift installed.

Here's the link for the Johnn Bucket.

http://www.johnnyproducts.com/index.html#Home

Why mine is setup to hook on a clevis I don't know?

I'll probably eventually make it a front mount with a snowplow frame.

The electric/hydraulic lift is a pretty common setup on RV's for powering open slide outs or raising a pop up.

I think northern tool has some in there catolog?

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

I didn't even realize that was a JB, very clever to use the clevis to operate it. Now I have to find that hydraulic setup you've got....

Sparky

So Karl, is the C-120 not going to blow snow this winter? Why the change?

Mike........

nylyon

I was going to give it a try, had the blower all hooked up even had a set of 9.50 tires to put on with the new chains. The engine runs so nicely, but the knock and smoke are scaring me a little bit. Right now the engine is rebuildable at a reasonable cost, if it gets run too hard it may blow and I don't want to replace the block, so it's getting parked until it can get rebuilt.

The second reason is the 416-H has brighter lights, though still not the 55W Halogen's like some people have around here, but better than the backup lights that are on the C-120. Sometimes it's best to clear the driveway at night, and the 416 is going to see a lot better in that respect.

Hopefully there will be time to rebuild the K301 over the winter so the 120 can get to work, maybe even before the last snow....

WheelHorse_of_course

Yup, those knocks only get worse.

With only one tractor (at the time) I made the gamble to keep working Secretariat last winter. Threw the rod on Easter which was the last snow.

I am finally at the stage of putting the new dashboard, gauges and engine on her. I have had to travel a lot lately so it has been hard to find the time. Engine i now on the frame, waiting to be bolted. Only one wire left to reconnect the dash. Need 4 connections to the new gauge panel (hour, volts, amps).

At least I have made it to the re-assembly stage! On the way out of town I picked up a few pieces of hardware I needed (including lock washers since the nylock nuts are used). Still need a battery cable and a case of oil, and some dextron.

Karl, any pictures of your C-120? I wonder if there is any chance it is my old machine! It was a 76 or 77 Auto. It had a custom flasher switch that caused the lights to flash (mounted in he electric clutch hole) and a Diehard battery condition indicator mounted under the dash.

If you every see that horse I'd be glad to know she's still working!

Cheers

Rolf

WheelHorse_of_course

Yup, not mine old horsie