Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

hard time getting between lo and high

dgjks6

I use lo and high a lot - helps with getting up and down hills. When I move between lo and high sometimes it does not want to go back in gear. It always does...eventually. Is there something I can adjust to fix this?

I have a 1989 312-8

Thanks in advance

Greg

rustyoldjunk

im no expert on this but i do want to advice you not to force the lever.you could end up with a bent shift fork then it wont shift back and forth at all until you split the case and fix it.i was told to be easy with the shifter and be sure i was at a complete stop before shifting between hi and lo.

kpinnc

Hey Greg,

I have the same problem on my 8 speeds. If you'll let off the brake, and let the tractor just barely move forward or back, it should go into gear for you. Don't hold pressure on it, just try again after you stop. These trannies don't have any type of syncronizers in them, and sometimes get held up "between teeth". If you're not Terry (TT), you just can't do it sometimes... B)

All joking aside, TT drives a WH like I drive a Toyota: 1st, 2nd, and third gear without stopping. Sounds like he's on a motorcycle!

I tried doing it going from 3rd to "Race", and it just didn't work too well for me... :whistle:

And FYI, I have found it shifts from hi to lo much easier if you don't try and shift it with the tranny in "neutral". Stay in whatever gear (1,2,3,R) you stop in until after you shift from hi to lo or vise versa...

Kevin

DMESS

Most of the ones I've used are a little tricky sometimes as well. Often takes just the right flick to move between low and high. As mentioned, sometimes letting the clutch back out a bit between attempts helps re-align things allowing easier entry in and out of hi/lo range.

Duff

Hi, Greg,

Mine has the same symptom. I just "finesse" it gently -- always stopped, though. I was warned early on about manhandling the range shifter and never to try to change ranges while in motion. B) Sometimes I just rock the tractor a little with my body weight and it seems to slip right into gear.....oh boy, THAT's gonna get some comments! B)

Duff :whistle:

kpinnc

oh boy, THAT's gonna get some comments!

Nah Duff,

Not as long as you complete the manuver with a good solid YYYAAAAAAAHHHHH! B):whistle:

Kevin

Curmudgeon

I just manhandle mine. New shift forks only cost a little over $20. Now I wonder why I know that!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the above advice is about as good as it gets.