Sign in to follow this  
WH520

Swapping the Eaton 700 for 1100

WH520

I bit the bullet tonight and bought an Eaton 1100 pump off Ebay for my 518 since my 700 is getting weaker every day. I've been searching for the last few hours but can't find exactly the answer I'm looking for.

I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done for the swap but my main area of concern is the filter. Since I have the Eaton 700, there is no filter for the hydro and the new hydro doesn't come with it. Will I have to get the parts necessary to adapt the filter or is there a way to get around not having it?

I've read as many threads as possible about the swap and never seen the filter mentioned. I'm not sure if others got the whole transaxle or if their hydro's came with the filter.

jdog_kustoms

i beleive most people just swap the thoe transaxle assembly and bypass the hydro valve for hydro lift bye hooking the lines together that go to and from the hydro lift valve all the rest should be the same and bolt right in

WH520

I was planning on bypassing the hydraulic lift so it sounds like as long as I do that I won't need to worry about the filter? Sounds good, thanks!

dennist

IMO, I would use the filter.

WH520

Would I need to use the hydraulic lift if I were to hook up the filter? I've never really looked at the 520 pump up close before and since I don't have the 520 anymore I don't really have anything to go by. If I had the complete unit infront of me I'd be able to figure it out but I'd like to find out what I need for when the pump gets here so I can put it together as soon as possible.

WH520

I just looked at the parts diagram on Parts Tree and think I have it figured out now. Correct me if I'm wong. If I were to get the filter base and get it hooked up to the hydro, I should be able to by pass the hydraulic lift by hooking a line up from the filter base (the fitting that comes from the hydraulic valve) to the hydro (the fitting that goes to the hydraulic valve) in order to bypass the lift.

kpinnc

I would use the filter. The 1100 pump shares oil with the transaxle, where the 700 pump does not. Much more opportunity for contamination with the 1100 pump.

Besides, if you "bit the bullet", you might as well protect the investment.

• Like 1

WH520

I don't have a problem using the filter, I'd prefer to. I wasn't sure how it was hooked up and thought I'd have to use the lift in order to have the filter but after further "investigation" I realized that's not the case.

The only other worry I have now is my transaxle. Since the 1100 has a suction tube going to the transaxle and the 700 doesn't. I looked at it last night and didn't see a plugged hole or anything to put the fitting in for the suction tube. I could just be missing it..

jdog_kustoms

are you trying to put a eaton 11 pump on a eaton 7 rear ???

WH520

are you trying to put a eaton 11 pump on a eaton 7 rear ???

Yes. I can't find the whole rear end with the 1100 (or a rear end off of a 520 for that matter) unless I make a 12 hour trip to Michigan so I bought just the pump and am going to try and make it work with the transaxle I have.

I went and looked at a 520H rear end today and now have a better idea of what needs to be done.

jdog_kustoms

Are they the same housings I have a complete 520 rear I would sell u if it helps

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

WH520

I sent you a PM jdog.

I got the pump in today, I couldn't believe how much bigger it is than the 700.

dwcphoto

Hi Folks,

After a few weeks away, I got back to my Wheel Horse 518 hydro switch. I bought a rear end from a 520 with an Eaton 1100 and swapped the whole deal. I ran a by pass, as I'm not using the hydro for the lift either. I'm sure a lot of you guys have some better ideas, but here's what I did. I got the hose made, after measuring several times and checking attitude of the hose to the fitting, at a local truck parts supply place.

post-6593-0-61321100-1336175352_thumb.jp

post-6593-0-83921600-1336175409_thumb.jp

WH520

Thanks for the pics DWC!

I'm going to pick up the whole rear end from a 520 from Jdog on Sunday so that should save a lot of headache trying to adapt everything over to mine. I got the transaxle pulled off of mine tonight.

After further inspection on the pump I just got, I noticed the threads inside the drive shaft for the fan are all "boogered" up. It looks like someone messed them up with a gear puller when they went to remove the pulley. Now I have the joy of sending it back and trying to get a refund....

GEDC0196.jpg

dwcphoto

You might call them first and see if they don't mind you running a tap into it. It might straighten it out enough. That bolt does not hold much, it just keeps the fan and pully from slipping off. dwc

WH520

I considered doing that and keeping it as a spare for later on down the road. One thing I noticed on the 1100 pump is it makes a lot of noise when turning it where my 700 is quiet as can be. Is it normal for it to make noise? The best way I can describe it is it sounds like gears rattling around inside the pump.

can whlvr

i think you are making a good decision to swap the whole rear,it will be less grief in the end

dwcphoto

Mine is pretty noisy too. I was guessing that is because I don't have oil in it yet. This is my first time messing with one and, actually, my biggest mechanical project so far. I bought a new filter and will be filling it up next chance I get to work on it. Then I'll have a better idea. dwc

WH520

Got the rear end from Jordon today and got it mounted, that's a PITA when doing it by yourself :lol:. Have to get a couple hydraulic lines made up, get the linkage then change the oil and filter and should be good to go. I had to take the dip stick out of my old rear end to put in the new one because it was broken. I ended up breaking my dip stick tube also while manuvering the rear end around so I'll have to remember to add that to the list.

Thanks again Jordon it was nice meeting you. Sorry I couldn't stick around a while longer and BS a little.

jdog_kustoms

no problem glad to help you out maybe if you make it to the show we can bs a little i might have a nos tube or 2 around i just need to look threw my stuff i have it everywere getting ready for the show

you need the long one correct

dwcphoto

Hi Guys,

I'm also doing a 1100 swap on my 518H. It looks like there is a low oil or heat sensor on the bottom of this unit. Does that have to be connected? Thanks, dwc

WH520

no problem glad to help you out maybe if you make it to the show we can bs a little i might have a nos tube or 2 around i just need to look threw my stuff i have it everywere getting ready for the show

you need the long one correct

Ya, It's the long one.

Hi Guys,

I'm also doing a 1100 swap on my 518H. It looks like there is a low oil or heat sensor on the bottom of this unit. Does that have to be connected? Thanks, dwc

I'm pretty sure that's the heat sensor. It shouldn't effect anything if it's not hooked up. The 520's have a Hydro Temp light on the dash if it should over heat where our 518's don't.

dwcphoto

Thanks! dwc

WH520

Well it's done! Drove it around for about 10 minutes, still needs some adjustments but it seems to be running good. It'll pick the front tires up off the ground now.

Thanks for everyones help. I was going to take pictures along the way to make a write up for the swap but didn't get one single picture.

dwcphoto

Congratulations on your swap. I just finished mine yesterday and brought it home today. I haven't mowed with it yet, but it drives very nice. I have to adjust the emergency brake and it'll be finished. The help I got on this site was tremendous! dwcphoto