Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Onan expected engine life?

Dapper Dan

I've missed several good deals on 520's of late.

I'm going to look at one Saturday that (from the pictures) looks very nice.

Problem is it shows 1161 hrs on the meter.

How many hours would you expect to get out of a well maintened 20 hp Onan?

Just Piddling

Others with more knowledge will be along shortly, but I'll tell you what I know.

The major problem with the Onans are valve seats coming loose from being overheated. Check the cooling fins to be sure they are clear of debris and any other signs of overheating. A puff of smoke after choke is OK, but should not smoke afterwards. Mine has 850 hours and still strong. Good luck and where are you located?

T-Mo

Here is a similar thread in regards to the Onan engine:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ic=3567&hl=onan

Basically I don't think those hours are too bad, as long as it was properly maintained. B)

Curmudgeon

Onan's can last a long time, they are a good, strong running engine. However, parts are no longer being produced and the shelves are getting bare. If it ever needs work, you might be looking at a replacement engine instead.

Without knowing the complete maintenance history of this machine, I'd say 1200 hours is getting up there. You just don't know. If it's cheap enough, I say go for it, it's a great tractor.

Rideawaysenior

Just wanted to pipe up and add my two cents. I have a couple of WH machines that use the Onan engines. A 518-H, and a D160. They both have a ton of hours on them especially the D160 being it's a 70's vintage. Both run great and strong. The only advice I can offer is what has already been said. Make sure the cooling fins stay clean and that you use a good quality oil. If you do that you may just be using the same machine in 30 or so years. Assuming that we can still get gasoline to run them.

Jack

Just Piddling

You can look at it this way too. Even if the engine pukes, for the price of a mower at Lowes you can repower with a 24 hp honda and have a lot better tractor. I would be more concerned with the hydro. Make sure to operate it long enough to get the temp up and see if it still pulls. It all depends on the asking price

Dapper Dan

This machine was listed on ebay with a buy it now @1200.00

No offers and ended.

Emailed the owner and he advised $950.00 was low dollar.

Owner is about 90 miles from me.

Here is the listing on e-bay.

520H

What do you all think?

kpinnc

I would be more concerned with the hydro. Make sure to operate it long enough to get the temp up and see if it still pulls. It all depends on the asking price

I agree 100%. Make SURE the hydro is a good one.

You can re-power with a different engine, but the Eaton hydro is a little harder to find parts for, and possibly even MORE expensive...

Kevin

Just Piddling

That looks like an 88-90 model (straight front axle). I wonder what the guage is in front of the speed control. Did they say why they pulled the listing and then offered you a cheaper price?

Dapper Dan

They didn't pull the listing.

It ran for 7 days with no offers or "buy it now."

Would this model be so old it would not have the gear reduction steering?

Just Piddling

Probably, but is not bad unless you put a loader or something on it . Mine is an 88' and I don't mind the steering. If you can get the number off the fender pan, we can tell all about it.Sorry for not paying attention to the listing.

DMESS

No gear reduction steering till 1991. The maroon stripe 520 is an 88 or 89.

HorseFixer

Onan's can last a long time, they are a good, strong running engine. However, parts are no longer being produced and the shelves are getting bare. If it ever needs work, you might be looking at a replacement engine instead.

Without knowing the complete maintenance history of this machine, I'd say 1200 hours is getting up there. You just don't know. If it's cheap enough, I say go for it, it's a great tractor.

Hey Dale I Hope Mine In My New Motor Home Lasts A Long Time! It Has 25 Hrs On It! B)

Duke

Duff

Boys, did I miss something, or are we shockingly lacking in our manners?????

Dan - :whistle:

Duff B)

EDIT:

OOPS! I misread Dan's date of membership. Oh well...sucks getting old. So......Welcome again!!!

Curmudgeon

Hey Dale I Hope Mine In My New Motor Home Lasts A Long Time! It Has 25 Hrs On It! B)

Duke

Duke, I hear the key to engine longevity is Amsoil. I'd check into that if I was you.