Sign in to follow this  
Jtjones

Wheel Horse 1054 - seeking opinions and comments

Jtjones

I have the opportunity to consider the purchase of a 1964 1054. Supposedly in good running condition, with transmission and hydraulic lift in good working order. I have not been able to go see it yet.

Looking for opinions on this model, and hints and tips on what I should look for when I see it - any known issues that I should look for ? Any revealing questions that I should ask or functions that I should test (other than run, go, lift and stop) ?

:bow-blue: You guys are a wealth of knowledge, and I appreciate any and all input.

bowtiebutler956

I'm sure someone who knows these older machines better that I do will be with you before long, but I know they say on hydro transmissions you run them for awhile, untill they get up to temperature to make sure they really are in good shape. Of coarse make sure its not smoking, and there are no strange knocks coming from the engine. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

Martin

ive had my 1054 for over a year now. when i first got it i spent some time getting a few things in order, then spent the best part of the first 6 months fixing and rebuilding it.....heres two of my threads on it if your interested. they will tell you a little of what problems i came across when i got this one.....

as far as things to look out for.

the normal things with the engine, smoke? noises? leaks etc........

the diff center in these things is a real weak point, if youre lucky (as i was) you will come across one that hasnt been worked hard or has already been fixed. some of the trans guys on here have remedies for blown diff centers. make sure the hydraulic lift functions well up and down and the lever returns to center. if it doesnt you have a busted spring, fixable, but its still work. check for pump and lift cyl. leaks...

from ownership of mine i can say that overall they are a unique tractor, quite unlike most of the wheelhorse models. the hardest parts to get, from my point of view are,

steering wheel, gas tank, good sheetmetal, grill, the correct size rear tires cheap, good seat frame.

if you can start with good sheetmetal that is great, im sure some of that is getting hard to find, most of the things that needed attention on mine are the same as your going to deal with on any wheelhorse, check for looseness in the steering, front end. etc as well.

the condition of most of it is going to depend on what sort of life the tractor has had, obviously one thats totally worn out is going to cost you a bit to get back right. when looking at it you really need to decide what your going to use it for, whether you want to restore it or work it. most of the cosmetic stuff is only going to be important if you are going to restore it.

i hope ive helped out a little, im going to stop now as i feel myself starting to ramble. read a little on the problems ive had with mine if youre interested and that might help you get more familiar with this model.

the ralph family is well versed with this model, as are a couple of other guys on here, im sure they can add to what ive mentioned.

hope it works out for you, while i probably wouldnt go looking for another 1054, i really enjoy the one i have and dont regret buying it one bit.........

otrelwood

i was amazed with mine after watching Martin's fun redoing his [ a beautiful restore i might add ] I had the exact same broken , rusted and corroded stuff Martin had [toolbox, tower under the pto bracket , and the batterybox.]

AMC RULES

Let us know if you get it, remember... :wwp:

Jtjones

I called yesterday to go see it, but it had already been sold. Missed this one, will have to move faster next time !

3609horse

I called yesterday to go see it, but it had already been sold. Missed this one, will have to move faster next time !

If you are looking for that model I have one for sale and am in Western ma. It needs an outer wheel bearing but everything else works. Email me at 3609jeep@charter.net I will make you a great deal I need the room. thanks.

Gene