Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Pate

First Wheel Horse, what do I have

Kevin Pate

Hey everyone, I'm new here to the forum. This is my second round with a four wheel tractor (most of mine are two wheel tractors) and I just received a Wheel horse tractor from a neighbor of mine who was going to fix it up but abandoned it. It appears to be from the early 60s ( maybe 1961 or 1962?) but whoever had it prior painted over the decals and some engine parts. Here are some photos of it and maybe y'all can help me identify it. It does have a Kohler K161 on it and a serial # on the engine (688223) and on the frame Serial # 30458. I need to locate a replacement sterring wheel (borken) and a new fuel tank ( hacked, goobered, and beyond repair). What model is this and where can I locate the above parts if possible?

2012-04-22_10-42-20_996.jpgThanks....Kevin2012-04-21_15-58-50_406.jpg

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: I,m not the resident round hood guru here, but rest assured someone will be assisting you shortly. Nice find, and enjoy your Horse, they are a great machine, and a pleasure to own. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Kelly

If the engine is orig. and going by the front axle I'm going to guess you have a 1964 854, but a few more pics from around the tractor will help, the serial no does not help on the early models, they didn't keep good records.

Kevin Pate

What specific areas can help identify it better Kelley?? I found two more decals on the tractor. One is a 7hpdead decal barely visible on the engine and another saying uni-drive on the rear of the transmission/ rear axle. I'm trying to learn on the fly with this and its been interesting so far.

Kelly

My bad I screwed up the K161 is a 7hp the K181 is a 8hp, so it could be a 1963 753

lets see the steering wheel is it a 2 or 3 spoke wheel?, also does it have a push button to start it, or only the key switch? a picture of the battery box will help also, does it have bolts or nuts on welded studs to hold the batt. strap on? the batt tray style will tell the story of the year, with that front axle, they used that style in 63 and 64 but they welded the batt tray on the frame in 63, and in 64 they bolted it on.

varosd

:WRS:

Kevin Pate

Thanks for that information. It has a 3 spoke steering wheel, push button start, and the battery tray is welded in with bolts that screwthe inholding the bracket. I'll try and get more photos later this evening.

Kelly

Ok I'm 99.9% sure you have a 1963 753

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: Looks like a nice tractor that you got. :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

AMC RULES

:WRS:

Kevin Pate

Thanks for the welcomes guys and your help identifying it Kelly. I think I might be able to salvage the tank on it hopefully. Does anyone reproduce replacement steering wheels for Igor know of what would work from another source????

Kelly

Steering wheels were used on WH that style in 62 and 63, I've seen them on other brands I have a bush hog tractor with one on it, but nice ones are hard to find and bring good money, what is wrong with your gas tank? you can buy new gaskets to reseal them, just becareful not to break the small screws off that hold the bottom on, or if the sides are broken where the clips go that the hood bolts to, that can be welded up.

Kevin Pate

Thanks Kelly. Right now I'm looking at steering wheels for a (gasp) cub cadet that I could adapt with minimal work. I looked at the fuel tank and no bolts are.broken in the bottom, just stripped out and someone used drill screws to hold it together. Who makes reproduction decals for this? The more I look and find, the more I want to get it back running...

Hodge71

:WRS: If you are looking for good quality decals, I would suggest our very own Vinylguy. Check him in the vendors section. Speaking from my own experiences with Terry, his sets are as close to factory as you can get without finding Elmer and Cecil Pond's secret stash. Good luck with you new addition and keep postin pics so we can enjoy your progress!!

Kevin Pate

Will do Jeff...

SAM58

Hello and Welcome to RED SQUARE!!

:)

horsesaver98

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomewave::WRS: nice tractor

Wheel Horse Kid

WELCOME TO REDSQUARE!!!!