Sign in to follow this  
BIGKUZ

A note of thanks

BIGKUZ

Although it was forty plus years ago I still remember my dad bringing home this cool looking red tractor he had bought used off some guy he knew. It came with a mower deck and a plow blade, we soon found out that not exactly being state of the art, it would mow fine on level ground but if you hit a dip it would cut the grass down to the roots on one side and leave the grass 6†high on the other side. So off came the mower deck and back to the push mower (Not Fun). So it was used just for plowing the driveway which was fine with me because I loved snow! I remember hoping for a snow day or trying to get home before my dad so I could get the horse fired up and get some seat time. As time went by it stopped running, instead of getting it fixed my dad handed me and my brothers shovels-(Also Not Fun!) When my older brother got married and moved out he decided he was taking the wheel horse with him. All he did was paint it black and tan (don’t ask me I guess he thought it looked good) took the motor apart and put the pieces in a milk crate and there it sat outside for a bunch of years. When he got divorced it was my turn to try and save it, since I had no knowledge of small motors other than put gas in it and pull the rope I picked up another motor. Wasn’t electric start but it ran good and painted her red again and used it to plow my driveway and walk. One of my most fun memories is when my boys were young and we did get snow when the streets were still covered I would hook up our 6 man toboggan with a rope and pull the kids down the street and when I got to the end of block I would cut the wheel hard and whip the sled around while the boys tried to hang on. If they tumbled off they would have to run and

try to jump back on (Lots of Fun). Then it quit running on me, boys got bigger & started playing sports, spare time became scarce. So back under the tarp the horse sat for a number of years. Now the boys are older I have a little spare time back & everytime I would peek under the tarp it was killing me to see “old Redâ€, as the kids called her wasting away. The tires had gotten so dry & cracked the tubes were sticking out the sidewalls! That’s where my winter project started, the next thing that happened was one of the best parts of the restoration. While surfing the web wondering if somebody might have a wiring diagram because rodents ate all the wires, I found Red Square! I had no idea there were so many wonderful people out there that shared my love of those little red tractors. Not only were these people very knowledgeable and friendly, they were very willing to help a newbie out. Within minutes I had my diagram. So a big thank you goes out to everyone who offered information, leads on where to find parts or just words of encouragement. Thank You.

Sincerely,

Steve (Big Kuz)

post-6350-0-27503300-1335129672_thumb.jp\

post-6350-0-98518300-1335129754_thumb.jp

See restoration forum for all finished pics.

• Like 2

Martin

hey, thats what :rs: is all about, help out when you can, and get help when you need it........................

KC9KAS

Steve, That is a nice story. Please show us your handy work when you can.

AMC RULES

It's common knowledge...this is the place to be for all things :wh: .

AMC RULES

Martin

man that amc guy beat me to it........

Hodge71

Awesome story Steve. Any chance we could get some pics so that we can follow the process?

:text-worthless:

Steve B.

That's a great story. Love the nostalgia stuff. I'm glad you were able to recover a tractor that holds so many great memories.

bowtiebutler956

That's an awesome story Steve, and your right, there are alot of very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful people here. :thumbs: It wasn't all that long ago I found this place, and I felt the same way. RedSquare is the place to be for :wh: Lovers! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

varosd

great story and great WH!

I cherish my Dad's B-80 and remember when he traded in a rear engine Ariens for it. My Mom and Dad are are in their late 70's/early 80's but had to have a HOA mandated lawn service when they moved back to CT otherwise I would still be using the pushmower!

Jake Kuhn

Thats a great story you can always keep with that tractor and it turned out great! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

speedyleedy

Great looking tractor ! :WRS: