Sign in to follow this  
3609horse

Mid mount grader blade

3609horse

Hi I am new here, spent a lot of time looking at all the nice tractors on this site. I want to build a mid mount grader blade but not sure if it should push or pull. I see some for sale that push from the back but I have heard they are better to pull. Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to use it on a 604 and also a C125. Thanks.

Sparky

I think the ones that are attached at the rear axle are more effective. I own this style so maybe I'm biased as I've never owned the pull type that hooks to the mid attachment point.

Mike.........

• Like 1

squonk

Here's a pic of my 704 with a simplicity grader modified to fit. Didn't take much effort to do. Blade works awesome.

DSCF1154.jpg

• Like 1

TT

Excellent reading here:

Hodge71

Great question horse and a great link TT. Its something I have wondered about for awhile

Forest Road

I have a 50" blade I use a few times a year. I clean up about a 1/2 mile gravel drive with ease. Personally its my favorite attatchment. I can take a lot of material off or just a little. The snow plow is pretty brutal when it comes to final grade there's just no comparison .

BTW I do have another one for sale in North Jersey. PM me if youre interested.

• Like 1

3609horse

Thanks for all your insight, I plan to build my own out of a worn out front blade I got with another tractor. I am leaning towards the pull method, kinda worried how scraping say snow on sidewalk and catch a lip with the blade I would think the rear would try to lift the tractor or stop it and that might hurt it and me. I like the idea of standing on the blade if addded weight is needed. That link was very informative, thanks for that and I like the picture of the 704 I hope to have my 604 looking like that someday.

can whlvr

made my own and hung it from the mid,its 54 inches wide and works great,its way more heavy duty than the 40 inch one i had that got stolen,ive not been so lucky to use a factory 50 from the rear so i cant compare but can tell you the mid mount works better than i ever expected DSC00073.jpgthis is a pic of it with the removable scarifier,i did my drive last week and it works really well,tears up hard pack clay even,and i put lots of tines so it does alot of ripping each pass

• Like 1

Hydro

I got to play last week with my grader blade, rear axle mount. I made my solid lift link and put the blade on my 516 Custom. I have loaded Ag's and Wheel weights. I could lift the front wheels off the ground but all that did was stop me dead in my tracks. I agree with TT, I think grader blades should drawn not pushed. I did better using the chain lift letting the blade float but again looking at the TT operating his grader blade using body weight sure gives you the flexibility.

I also think Don (Can Whlvr) is on to something with his scarifier design. If the soil is compacted at all you need a way to break it up otherwise our tractors are pretty light. Years ago I had 3 sections of peg tooth harrows. They looked like a railroad spikes mounted in a steel bar design. One section would make my Cub 149 work but it sure tore up the ground. If I had that now....tow it around, break things up, then grade to level out. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

3609horse

Don that is an impressive implemnet. What did you make it out of, looks like it could dig through anything. It looks like you can take them off. What tractor do you use that on?

can whlvr

the blade is an old paper shear cutter,one that can cut 8 inches of paper in one cut,the scarifier is COLD rolled steel 3/4 bar,cut to a chisel on one side,welded to a flat bar that can be flipped when it wears,i think that will be a while as the cold rolled is hard,yes its removable,i used 4 grade 8 bolts in the existing holes in the blade that were there to mount it to the press,i have 3 or 4 ways of ripping up the drive,but this one works the best even better than my dual set of harrows

DSC00018.jpg

3609horse

That looks nice.. good job on that I hope when I get mine done it will look something like yours. Not sure how much grading I will get to use, mainly want it to scrap the drve after I remove the snow, . I do play in the yard with my plow I move a mulch pile around, drives the nieghbor crazy but I have fun. Can you mount that under the tractor also?

can whlvr

sorry thats 2 different attachments,the first is a mid mount,2nd is a drag that is handy but may get retired due to the new grader blade