Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

deck question

BairleaFarm

Can you cut the back off a sd deck and weld up the side and make it a read deischarge? Id like one and Ive got a SD but the rear is rusted out of it.

TT

I don't see why you couldn't do it. B) You just have to make sure the gauge wheel cross shaft and height adjuster parts don't get in the way.

You could also leave it all closed in and have a mulching deck. (You'd probably want to buy some Gator Blades for on it then.)

BairleaFarm

I figured there wasn't anything different other than the opening. A mulching deck might not be a bad idea either

DMESS

I second building a mulcher. A lot less work and nicer results mowing. (unless your always trying to cut 4 inches of grass at a time) You would only need to fab a blocker plate for the chute and, as TT mentioned, add some good mulching style blades. FYI, they did offer the factory Recycler kit for the 48" SD.

BairleaFarm

I think ill try the recycler before ill cut the back out.

nylyon

I take my "Recycler" off in the spring. The Recycler cloggs very easily with wet or even damp grass. The grass here is still too wet to put it back on again, maybe in a couple of weeks I can get it back on there.

This year has been very busy, I have let the grass grow too long. The RD deck with a sweeper pulling behind does really quick work of cleaning up the "harvest"

DMESS

karl, how high or low do you cut with your Recycler?

nylyon

As high as it will go.

DMESS

Hmmmm, I'd like to try the Recycler kit, but I don't want to deal with clogging problems. Of course, your grass and mine are two different things. I've got a dust bowl right now! B)

dgjks6

I keep seeing a recycling kit for a 42 inch deck on ebay. I think it consisted of a second set of "baffles" - the round things under the deck - so each blade was completely enclosed in a circle. Does that make sense?

nylyon

Dustin, Eldon has one maybe once it is repaired you can test it. As far as the kit on eBay it is incomplete. Inside those round things, there should be triangular baffles, 3 in each one. Also, to use the kit you need to have a 42" deck without any baffles already.

DMESS

That's really all it is. The baffle plate, unique blades and of course the mounting hardware.

EDIT: and what Karl said!

Oh yeah, Eldon and I have discussed that deck. It's a back burner project right now you could say.