Sign in to follow this  
unsub

314-8 won't stay at full throttle

unsub

The throttle on my 314-8 won't stay at at max speed. It wants to vibrate itself back off to about 75% after a couple minutes. I've been keeping it at full throttle with a bungie cord, but I'm sick of doing it that way. The cable seems to move fine and smooth but just won't stay at 100%. Anyone else have the same problem or have any ideas on a remedy?

Thanks.

rmaynard

Sounds to me like the rivet that the throttle control pivots on has loosened. I had the same thing on a C-series. The throttle control stays in place by friction, and if the center pivot gets loose, the arm will eventually slide down. You may have to take the cable control out and lightly peen the rivet with a hammer and punch.

unsub

Sounds to me like the rivet that the throttle control pivots on has loosened. I had the same thing on a C-series. The throttle control stays in place by friction, and if the center pivot gets loose, the arm will eventually slide down. You may have to take the cable control out and lightly peen the rivet with a hammer and punch.

You're right. I peened it a little and it sure seems to have done the trick. Worst case I guess if it does it again is to replace that part. At least I know the culprit. Thanks a million. Can't believe I used the bungie all last season.

can whlvr

some one here stated before that they replace the riet with a small bolt after the peening doesnt work anymore

tunahead72

Can't believe I used the bungie all last season.

Only one season, that's not bad! :ychain:

You can also try squeezing the rivet with a pair of vice grips, without having to remove the entire throttle control from the tractor. If it doesn't help at first, tighten the vice grips a little and try again.

And :WRS:

btrrg1969

some one here stated before that they replace the riet with a small bolt after the peening doesnt work anymore

I didnt state it but thats what I did , drilled out the revit and use a 1/4 bolt and lock nut , that fixed the problem

unsub

:thanks:

More great ideas. Thanks again guys!

boovuc

Here is an idea that you don't want to do. My C-175 has been using the bungie cord fix for ten years.

About a decade ago, the throttle cable was real tight and was "sticky" so I put spray oil and silicone to it. That took care of the tightness! It has never ever stayed wide open after that! It always drops back to about 60% open. Not peening or squeezing got it corrected. I was half tempted to apply some battery acid to it to re-corrode it! :huh:

Since this is a worker tractor, the bungie cord is OK!

can whlvr

i too have used a bungie,after about 2 years i broke down bought a new cable then learned about these fixes,at least i saved the old cable so i can reuse it