Wheel-N-It

Need a Little With Charging System KT-17 series 2

Wheel-N-It

UPDATE TO UPDATE

Researched some of the charging cures for the regulator. Per some of the recommendations I installed a ground jumper between one of the mounting bolts for the regulator to the negative terminal on the battery. No improvement. After this I am leaning more toward the regulator as the problem. Any thoughts please???

Van

Save Old Iron

This may be an easy one.

No voltage on the B+ terminal - well think about that. Since the B+ terminal should connect thru the ignition switch directly to the battery, AT LEAST the battery voltage should always be present on the B+ terminal (when the ignition switch is in the RUN position).

Soooo.....

you have lost continuity thru the wiring or ignition switch between the battery (+) terminal and the regulator B+

terminal.

239059d3.gif

A common issue when the weather gets nice and the typical "loosey goosey" Anserini antics are afoot. Untethered taxonomic trickery at its finest !

bed43eea.png

Now be off with you - and don't return until you have successfully completed your quest for the loose connection.

Wheel-N-It

THANK YOU SOI :bow-yellow:

I probably should have known that........... It amazes me sometimes what I can't figure out for myself. I let that go right over my head. I promise I won't quit my day job

I will get back on this tomorrow. Sure glad i didn't go out there on my own and buy a new regulator.

Van :greetings-wavingyellow:

Robert McCracken

Just a note: Going back to the flywheel puller which a friend helped you out with. I frequent Autozone. They have a loaner program for many of these specialty parts. Basically, they have a collection of tools available for loan. They charge you retail for the item, and when you return the part, they refund 100% of your payment/deposit. This has gotten me out of trouble a number of times. Thanks to Autozone. And thanks to you all for the vast amount of info you make available.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Thank you everyone for helping me with my charging problem. The 417-A lives again! Did the old divide and conquor method to the wiring on the 12volt end of the charging system and discovered the key switch was defective. The problem was the contacts betqween B+ and R (run) would not make with the switch in the run position. Thank goodness I had a good key switch on the 520 roller sitting under the shed out back of the garage. I cleaned the spade terminals of the keyswitch with emory paper and it worked perfectly. Now I have 13plus VDC charging at idle, and 14 VDC at WOT.

You guys really came to my rescue here and I will not forget it! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)

Van

Wheel-N-It

I went by NAPA today to purchase a new key switch so as to have one on hand if needed in the future. They had two in stock, and I purchased one for $9dollars. Here is the part number for your referance; 7-01854

Van

Save Old Iron

Now try and tell me Kharma doesn't exist and good deeds are not rewarded!!

I pasted your Napa part # for the igntion switches into Ebay and snagged 2 NEW switches for a $1.05 plus 5 bucks shipping. Not too shabby Van, and thank you.

• Like 1

TheGreenMachine

I've had the same problem with mine but my r/r is#25 403 05 with the three prongs so probably a similar regulator/rectifier. Make sue that the r/r is grounded to the chassis or through the bolt but it has to go to ground. You can check this by putting a volt meter across the battery positive terminal and the other side onto the r/r body or it's bolt.

My r/r shows no voltage at all at high revs but probably because the stator shows only between 10 and 25VAC which is not enough. I have checked the stator and the magnets NOW I AM STUMPED!

TheGreenMachine

Oops, posted in error 'newbie'!