Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Wheel weights Repair time

Stigian

Evening all, one of the jobs i have been wanting to sort out for a while now is to stop my wheel weights/duel wheel adapter B) 's from rattling.

Rattling you ask? well when i built them i filled them up with a dry-ish sand, cement and stone mix, the idea was the moisture in the stones and a bit of condensation forming would set the mix hard over time.

Can you guess what didnt happen :banghead:

Over time the dusty stuff found its way out leaving space for the stones to move about :banghead:

Time to sort it out B)

Step 1 - Use large rubber hammer to remove the weights from the wheels and wonder if a mouse has built a house in the wheel. B)

100_3542.jpg

Step 2 - Laugh and take photo of 4 balls of grass that fell out :o

100_3543.jpg

Step 3 - Dump both weights on the bench and wonder how they got so dented B)

100_3545.jpg

Step 4 - Break out the hole cutter and try to break in to the weight.

100_3547.jpg

Step 5 - Wonder why after 5 minutes of drilling ive not broken in to it yet :whistle:

100_3549.jpg

Step 6 - Have a look at the hole cutter teeth to find this :banghead:

100_3550.jpg

Step 7 - Put the new (well it was before i started) but knackered hole cutter back in its case and make some sparks with a grinder :)

100_3552.jpg

Step 8 - Empty the loose contents of the wheel weight all over my boots and legs :banghead:

100_3556.jpg

Stigian

Step 9 - Stop coughing from Step 8 just long enough to wonder how Garry managed to get a small Ford Pick-up pierced through his neck on the way back from getting a barrow load of sand B):banghead:

100_3555.jpg

Step 10 - Drink some water (not coffee B) ) to stop the coughing and take an action shot of Garry mixing the mix.

100_3560.jpg

Step 11 - Look daft while laughing at using an old lampshade as a funnel :banghead:

100_3561.jpg

Step 12 - Stand back and look at the mess we have made :whistle:

100_3563.jpg

Step 13 - After letting the new improved wheel weights set for a few day (an ideal time to try and wash out all the metal grindings/dust/cement/sand/concrete mix that has set/got into hair/ears/armpits/add body cavity to taste/perversion :banghead: ) clean off the the muck so the square-ish plates that were cut out can be welded back into place.

PICT1041.jpg

Step 14 - Forget to take photo of the finished wheel weights B) but if you imagine sqaure-ish plates welded on and lots of dents on this early pic then your close :banghead:

100_2839.jpg

And........

Step 15 - Hope the wheel weights will fit back on the wheels when i come to put them back on B)

kj4kicks

As usual, great pics and well narrated !

Thanks for making me smile....

B) :whistle:

combatmp29r

Excellent work Ian. A pleasure to read as always B)

CasualObserver

Took me a second there on that last pic... i thought maybe you actually made invisible seams! But rest assured... I can see the dents and squares (in my head) now! B)

DMESS

:whistle: B)B) I hope Gary got that pick up out of his neck! Good laughs as usual Ian. B)

Curmudgeon

Keep us abreast of how it comes out, Ian.

Don't feel too proud of those grass nests though, they seem to accumulate behind any kind of wheel weight, but I'll never admit to that disadvantage of them.

Stigian

Cheers for the great comments guys B)

The good news is not only did the wheel weights fit (just), but we also managed to get the pick-up out of Garry's neck. I just put it in reverse and floored it :whistle: B)

Curmudgeon

B)