Sign in to follow this  
billsfan60

MELTED POINTS

billsfan60

Just did a rebuild on my K241. The thing runs great except for one issue. After about three hours of break in running it started backfiring and died. Once I got over the heart attack it caused I started checking things out and found the points had closed up. No biggie, it's happened to me on my MGB. I reset them and it did it again two more times. I took a closer look and found the points had melted. I had a spare set so I replaced them and ran for a short period of time with no issues. Don't know if it was defective points or an issue with the ignition system in general.

smoreau

Were the points set correctly? Were they Kohler Points, And were they new? If all were correct, I would replace the condenser.

billsfan60

Points were new, gapped correctly, but not kohler points. Will replace the condenser next. Didn't think it was bad as it ran fine (except for the clouds of blue oil smoke) before the rebuild. Points that were in it are of indeterminant parentage but also worked fine before the rebuild.

bowtiebutler956

I definitely would change the condenser first thing off. Buy any chance, have you changed the coil recently? I have seen points fry, when they had the wrong coil, like installing an externally resisted coil without the external resistor. Have also seen points fry when the voltage at the coil is too high, like when the voltage regulator malfunctions. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

billsfan60

Since all was working before the rebuild all I changed was the points since they came with the rebuild kit. I have new kohler points on order and have replaced the melted ones with the original set that was in it before the rebuild. Are condensers application specific or will any parts house store brand do. I figure the voltage regulator has an internal ballast resister so if that went belly up I could either get one to replace it or get an external balllast resistor from a parts house. Am I wrong in changing one thing at a time or just go for the whole thing. I realize doing it my way I'll probably eat another set of points if I'm wrong about the condenser.

Anglo Traction

Your Condenser could be ok, if it is not properly grounded, the condenser will not function and you'll get full current from your coil through your points.

(posted a second time as the last one was eaten ?.)

billsfan60

Great, thanks will check the condenser to make sure it's grounded. Nope the coil, condenser and regulator all were working fine before the rebuild. Has to be something simple.

First Raider 12

Hi Guys,

New to this site. Just wanted to say I had a similar problem with my friends c120. He bought as a non running tractorand had me get it running for him. After wiring it at the solenoid and battery It started and after a short time started backfiring and stalling. Hard starting unless it cooled off. Seems PO hooked up the condensor at the coil to the positive side of the coil. I never seen one like that unless it was for radio noise on cars. Switched it to negative side going to points and it stopped the backfiring. Points showed a lot of" transfer" (wear) But still worked fine. Got to say these tractors are addictive. Nothing matches the quality of these old workhorses.

can whlvr

i have been told alot of these aftermarket points arnt very good id get kohler points and new condensor and she will be good

billsfan60

beginning to think the points were just poorly made, but will check all the things you guys have been saying and will get a new coil, condenser and voltage regulator just to be sure. Again thanks for all the help. Ya'll never let me down.

bowtiebutler956

I don't think I would spend that much money on a voltage regulator until I had it running and could check the voltage with a meter. No sense in wasting your hard earned cash. :twocents-02cents:

Matt