Sign in to follow this  
Tap53

ITS JUST NOT RIGHT !!!!

Tap53

My Dad taught me this when I was young...

A MOTOR converts electricity or other forms of kinetic energy into a mechanical motion

An ENGINE is a mechanical device that uses a fuel source to create an output

I have never seen an electric Wheel Horse..

Just like the time I was moving out of my 6 room house, this friend of a friend says, I HAVE A TRUCK, I'LL HELP YOU MOVE, so all

night I was thinking, 3 loads instead of 7, he's has a truck, it wont take long, the next morning he pulls up with his truck,

a 76 Datsun PICKUP....... :angry-banghead:

Sparky

I have never seen an electric Wheel Horse..

I hate to bust yer bubble but there is an all electric Wheel Horse. Its called an E-141. A couple guys here have em. Scott has a real nice one. I know he has a thread on it here somewhere. Maybe he'll chime in with a pic or two.

Mike...........

• Like 1

Tap53

Takes more than that to bust my bubble, I have never seen one, so well call all engines motors then..

and I'm going to haul grain to the elevator in my pickup..

Jeremy Watson

It's like plumbers talking about pipe or tube....I do agree with the engine and motor annology.

Good luck getting that grain to the elevator in a pickup:) I'd try a gravity wagon.

• Like 1

wallfish

General Motors only recently started making electric powered cars

American Motors didn't make any that I recall.

The industry itself creates the confussion.

Personally, it makes no difference to me what you call them, somehow it hasn't been a problem figuring it out yet.

whfan74

Did someone say electric tractor????? :eusa-think:

Here is what I have..........thanks for the plug Mike.

0702091336b.jpg

0702091335a.jpg

0702091336a.jpg

• Like 1

gwgdog66

Did someone say electric tractor????? :eusa-think:

Here is what I have..........thanks for the plug Mike.

0702091336b.jpg

0702091335a.jpg

0702091336a.jpg

Do you have some video's of that Gem running?

specialwheelhorse

I got you TAP53 I recently got called out when I refered to an Engine as a Motor.

Only thing I still have a rough time thinking of an outboard engine.

It used to be a rule but like everything else now days They seem to be refered

to either way. But I do have Engines on all my tractors but there are a few that have

Electric motors. JIM in Texas

• Like 1

whfan74

Nope Gary sorry I don't. :(

KC9KAS

I work for JASPER Engines & Transmissions....we remanufacture internal combustion ENGINES.

We also own a company called JASPER Electric Motors....they remanufacture electric (AC & DC) MOTORS.

Tap53...if you want to argue with me, you will have to pick another subject!

• Like 2

Tap53

Some things just bother me, and that seems to be one of them, just like Hodge and hydro fluids, I respect him for that, everyone has different opinions..

What got me started was a friend called me, I'm busier that a cat covering poop on a linoleum floor right now, so he talking about this motor, does this black wire go here, does this red wire go here, this red wire comes out of this box, etc.. after, 10 min of listening to that, he said a key word, GAS, hes working on his Dynamark ridding mower,

GEEESSS, get it right from the start..

• Like 1

dsholler

don't fight it.. people go motoring around in their cars, (and if they are pretentious they call them motorcars). And I have heard someone describing his Prius as a having an electric engine..

rmaynard

Back in the late 50's and early 60's, my late uncle used to refer to his 1959 Buick as his "motor". It always amused me when he would say "let's all hop in my motor and go for a ride".

If you own a BWM, the company that makes them is officially known as Bayerische Motoren Werke, otherwise known in the USA as Bavarian Motor Works.

:scratchead: Go figure

CasualObserver

General Motors... Ford Motor company.... American Motor Corporation... It's all semantics. More important things to worry about in this world. Like how they're going to stop teaching children cursive writing in schools because everything now is on computers. Goodbye penmanship and signatures. Hello biometrics and retinal scan identification. tinfoilhat.gif

• Like 1

jimt1971

I have an electric Wheel Horse too. It is an A-65 Electrak. Rear MOTORED electric riding mower. It was at the Big Show Last year.

Jim

Rooster

From Merriam Websters Dictionary...

Definition of MOTOR

1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

Definition of ENGINE

4: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion; also : a mechanism or object that serves as an energy source <black holes may be the engines for quasars>

The long lived fallacy that a "motor" is an electric device and an "engine" is a fuel powered device simply is not true.

The technical difference, from years of personal study, a "motor" is any thing that imparts motion I.E. when you ride a bicycle, YOU are the motor! An "Engine" is a machine that functions as a "Motor". However, I do not have hard copy reference for that.

Even engineering textbooks do not agree on the correct usage of "Engine" and "Motor"...

Interesting side note...Traditional definitions of Motors and Engines all stated "circular" motion, and now we have "Linear Motors"....

In literature, the rule on such a case where there is no clear definition of correctness for word usage is to go with the commonly accepted usage of the word. In this case, most everybody calls that thing under the hood of your "Pick-Up" a motor....maybe because it is?

By the way, light duty cargo vehicles with an enclosed cab and open bed have been called a "Pick-Up TRUCK" for decades, some abbreviate it as "Pick-Up" but most abbreviate it to "truck".....

My father taught me; "When everyone else seems wrong and your the only one right, maybe you need to check into that?"

I taught my Children; "Is it really worth getting upset about? It doesn't hurt you to let others be stupid...."

:):ychain: :angry-chillpill:

• Like 2

Tap53

My father taught me; "When everyone else seems wrong and your the only one right, maybe you need to check into that?"

Your Father must be Great, and Yes, it is a good thing to remember what he said.

I agree with you, but I'll still call motors "MOTORS" and engines "ENGINES" and pickups "PICKUPS" and trucks "TRUCKS" and a pair of pants, Hmmm, what happened here,, something changed,, 2 PANTS.. oh my...

And what do you get when you spell RACECAR backwards, PICKLE ???

and God Speed to GOOGLE..

The End

• Like 1

Rooster

Britches...they are called BRITCHES....and the top goes on your waist, not your knees...

Can we do "Bushing" & "Bearing" next.... :violence-blades: :*****: :banghead:

Oh wait...you said "The End"......I think I just commited a Fowl?

stevasaurus

Is this what we are down to??? OMG!!! First, I agree with Tap, an engine is internal combustion, steam, etc. While we all know an engine can be called a motor, it is never used in the reverse. I do not think I have ever heard of an electric motor being called an engine. I have never changed the engine in my furnace. :angry-tappingfoot::auto-biker::auto-dirtbike::confusion-confused::romance-grouphug::violence-duel: :hilarious:

• Like 1

squonk

What about when the Top Fuel guys refer to their engines/motors as "Bullets" As in "We had to thrash on the motor between qualifying rounds and Shirley's nephew forgot to put the rod bearings in so she blew the engine doing her burnout but we got one more round to go so we'll put another bullet in the car and get in the show ok! " :)

squonk

Nascar boys just say "We done blowed up!"icon_29.gif

Jackie Stewart called a race car "motor car" :jaw:

stevasaurus

So, you brought women into this Mike...(Shirley's nephew)...no wonder we can not solve this by ourselves. :)

squonk

A woman and a short guy from Scotland. And don't call me Shirley! icon_beer.gificon_happy45.gif

KC9KAS

Britches...they are called BRITCHES....and the top goes on your waist, not your knees...

Can we do "Bushing" & "Bearing" next.... :violence-blades:*****.gif:banghead:

Oh wait...you said "The End"......I think I just commited a Fowl?

Wouldn't that be "FOUL"?

JimD

Thank goodness Toto is finally back in Kansas.