Sign in to follow this  
brett66c

Help - Ignition/Starting Problem

brett66c

...I know how to properly charge a battery, but this time I wasn

oldandred
...I know how to properly charge a battery, but this time I wasn

brett66c

I checked the starter teeth and they are chipped a little on the very end thats meet the fly wheel, but nothing bad or at least not near bad enough to cause it not to start. the starter itself will not engage. It just spins. I tried another battery out of my slightly larger working mower and the starter did engage this time but acted as if it didn't have enough power to start the engine. Is there a fuse somewhere that could have been blown? or is this linking back to the ignition coil? or could it be something else?

Brett

TT

Could you answer a question for me?

Did it work OK before you charged the battery backwards? B)

brett66c

yeah it did. it had kind of a hard time firing up, but i just figured that was from it sitting for a year or so. it would at least turn over then.

TT

Did you try to start it while the charger was hooked up backwards, or did you catch it before attempting to start it?

Have you tried hooking a second battery up to it? (with jumper cables)

brett66c

I caught it before I started it. although while i was away, i cleaned all all the grounds and connections i could find and simply enough, now it does crank and did start. but did i still fry the ignition coil or stator (or anything else) when i charged it backwards?

TT

I doubt that anything would be damaged if you didn't turn the key on. There is a remote possibilty that the rectifier/regulator could be damaged, but I honestly doubt it.

Coils, points, and condensers can function with either polarity, as proven by the old positive ground vehicles, so I can't see where they would have sustained any damage either.

The best thing to do now is check the point gap setting and the condition of the contacts themselves. Make sure all connections at the two ignition coil posts are clean and tight and run the engine for a while. It's normal for a battery ignition coil to get warm/hot while in operation, but not so hot that you can't keep your hand on it.

You can also perform charging system checks to verify the operation.

Here's the first and most simple test:

Does the amp gauge work, and what does it do when you start the engine?

brett66c

yes the amp gauge does work because it drops a little when I turn the tractor over, but it the goes back to roughly 0 while running.

TT

But does it ever go above zero?

Do you have a multimeter? (AC and DC capable - preferably digital)

brett66c

don't know. right now i have the oil drained out of it, so i didn't keep it on long or rev it up. I'll let ya know tomorrow after work though. in the mean time thanks for helping me out.

Brett

oldandred

don't know. right now i have the oil drained out of it, so i didn't keep it on long or rev it up. I'll let ya know tomorrow after work though. in the mean time thanks for helping me out.

Brett

Like I said before if the starter turns over BUT the engine doesnt thats ba starter drive theres a clutch on it thats not catching some times it will BUT most of the time it want.

I rest my case

TT read his post about the starter turning but not the engine

TT

That's true to a point, Jerry. If there isn't enough power (amperage) getting to the starter motor to "whip" it over quick enough to throw the drive out the helix (spiral) on the shaft, then it will only turn the motor over without engaging the drive in to the flywheel ring gear. Rust on the helix will also prohibit the drive from engaging, as will an oily shaft that has collected dust and dirt, causing it to "gum up".

The "integral solenoid" starters on the P series Onans, Kawasakis, etc. will kick the drive gear in to the flywheel ring gear as soon as the solenoid is energized.

brett66c

ok, the engine fires up good now, and it does charge with higher rpms. i guess i just got a little freaked out with the whole turn of events. thanks though guys.

Brett