Sign in to follow this  
dwcphoto

Eaton 700 Out 1100 In on 518H

dwcphoto

With some help of a good friend today, I took off the Eaton 700 and mounted the 1100 on my 518-H. All went pretty well with a little adjustment here and there. Since I'm not using the pump to lift attachments, I'll have a bypass hose made locally to remedy that situation.

The other seems more complex. The motion control lever does not link up properly or directly. We bent the rod control to get it around the new pump, but it seems like it won't work the control on the hydro pump sufficiently. I looked up the 520H parts list and the cam control and the rod control seems identical to both tractors.

Can anyone advise me on how you would make it link up? Is there a part that I need to get to make this work? I did get a suggestion to use the linkage for an 1100. The rear end I installed came off a 520H and, as stated, the parts list looks the same.

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the help you folks have been. dwcphoto

WH854

With some help of a good friend today, I took off the Eaton 700 and mounted the 1100 on my 518-H. All went pretty well with a little adjustment here and there. Since I'm not using the pump to lift attachments, I'll have a bypass hose made locally to remedy that situation.

The other seems more complex. The motion control lever does not link up properly or directly. We bent the rod control to get it around the new pump, but it seems like it won't work the control on the hydro pump sufficiently. I looked up the 520H parts list and the cam control and the rod control seems identical to both tractors.

Can anyone advise me on how you would make it link up? Is there a part that I need to get to make this work? I did get a suggestion to use the linkage for an 1100. The rear end I installed came off a 520H and, as stated, the parts list looks the same.

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the help you folks have been. dwcphoto

:text-worthless:

Chas

dwcphoto

Okay, I'll see what I can do. I took a few shots today, but didn't do close-ups of the linkage situation. I'll see if I can get a couple of shots tomorrow. Will probably post them on Friday, due to work sched. Thanks! dwc

jay in nc

i did this swap on my 516 but it was back in 04 i can't remember what the linkage was like. ill look this week end. Jay

kpinnc

I did the same swap on my 518-H, but the restore it is not yet finished. All I remember that was different is the length of the threaded rod between the DCL and the cam.

Did you mount the rod under the cam plate?

dwcphoto

Yes. The 518 rod was too long, but also part of the mechanism on top of the pump interfers with the rod. We bent the rod in two places to make clearance and it was short enough. It does not have enough through to move the speed control cam all the way in either direction. There is a 520 rod for sale on ebay that looks to have bushings, so maybe that will work on top of the cam...?? thanks, dwc

dwcphoto

Does anyone happen to have a photo of the motion control rod/linkage properly set up for an Eaton 1100 on a 520H? Thanks! dwc

kpinnc

It does not have enough through to move the speed control cam all the way in either direction.

Not sure exactly what you mean here, but if you see a gap in the cam plate "slot" at full travel both ways it is normal.

dwcphoto

K, you understood well enough. All these things are helping put it together. I got a link to a great restoration project and that had a good photo in it.

Much apprecited. dwc

WH520

Good move! Hope you get all the kinks worked out. I've been wanting to do this to my 518 for a few years now but haven't. This Eaton 700 is the weakest part of the tractor.

dwcphoto

I didn't know that until I was led to this site. When my 700 started getting soft, I started looking for another tractor, but really wanted to steer clear of any hydro thinking they are all bad. Not the case. I wish I had the time to do a whole restoration. They sure look nice! dwc

WH854

Yes. The 518 rod was too long, but also part of the mechanism on top of the pump interfers with the rod. We bent the rod in two places to make clearance and it was short enough. It does not have enough through to move the speed control cam all the way in either direction. There is a 520 rod for sale on ebay that looks to have bushings, so maybe that will work on top of the cam...?? thanks, dwc

There are 2 different rods for these transmissions P/N110943 and P/N108904 if that helps :thumbs:

Chas

WH854

There are 2 different rods for these transmissions P/N110943 and P/N108904 if that helps :thumbs:

Chas

Partstree says P/N 110943 is discontinued for 516 and 518 P/n 108904 is for 520 tractors is avalable. (P/N 110943 is 9.9" long and P/N 108904 is 9" long). price is $10.44 plus shipping

dwcphoto

Chas,

Thanks for your help. If the one from the auction does not work, I'll order 108904. Much appreciated. dwc

woodchuckfarmer

There are 2 different arms for the top of the hydro unit, one is longer than the other. Use the one thats shortest 3 & 3/4 overall length. Its the one that goes on the 1100 eaton. Also there is a bushing that goes under the arm about a half inch long. The controll rod and bushing go up under the arm, not on top. ....hope this is some help....Wayne

varosd

Didnt Matt have some good up close photos of a 520 motion control/etc linkage for his foot pedal kit?

dwcphoto

Thanks, guys. If you find a link to those photos, I'd love to take a look. I should have that part I bought on the auction any day now. If it doesn't fit, it'll be offered up here. I'm also sorting out the hydro bypass that goes from the filter mount to underneath the pump. I have the correct fitting size, but it's a tight spot. So far the fittings the local guys have don't work, but I'm still looking at a couple of options. It's interesting. I'll try to put up a couple of photos soon. dwc

dwcphoto

Progress. I received the control arm rod with the bushings and it seems to work well, although it's not running yet. Next step is to reroute the hydro, since I'm not using it for a lift. I found fittings and will run the hose and mark it to have it crimped properly. I just have to figure out which way to run it. I don't want to take it underneath, as I don't want it to snag on anything in use. I won't get back to it probaly for a week. Dang work.... dwc

dwcphoto

Hi Folks,

I posted a few photos on a similar thread, but I thought I should follow through on the one I started, too. I got away from the project for a few weeks, mainly due to that dirty word that begins with a w. I got the motion control linkage in. I neglected to get a photo of that, but will. It's a 520 arm that has bushings to put the rod in the right position. I was lucky that the guy I bought the 520 rear end from included a hydro control unit, so it was easy to match the fitting size. The fitting type on the control unit would have been really nice, as they swivel, but I could not find that type locally, so went with another configuration. The first photo is the swivel fitting. The second is the 90 degree fitting turning into a straight fitting that goes into the hydro unit. The third is the same configuration going into the bottom of the pump on the right side, under the fan and pulley.

Now all that remains is to get it the wheels on it, put in some oil and give it a test. Thanks, dwc

post-6593-0-56863400-1336220255_thumb.jp

post-6593-0-56648100-1336220383.jpg

post-6593-0-20572500-1336220486.jpg

dwcphoto

I just finished mine yesterday and brought it home today. I haven't mowed with it yet, but it drives very nice. I have to adjust the emergency brake and it'll be finished. The help I got on this site was tremendous! dwcphoto

dennist

Glad to hear you got it together.

dwcphoto

Dennist,

Thank you for all your help and knowlege. It sure make the job much easier. I might not have even picked up the 520 rear without your insight. Best, dwc

dwcphoto

Hi Guys,

It's been more than a month that I've been using my 518H with the 520 rear swapped in and it's really like having a new tractor. I did put in a new regulator and it's been holding up fine. I hit a root this afternoon mowing around a blown down tree from one of last year's storms and now I have to pound out the front of the deck to get it back in service. Done that before and it works fine.

Just want to say thanks to all of you with your insights about the Eaton 700 and 1100s and the regulator issue. I was able to do most of it myself with your guidance. Much appreciated. Happy Fourth! dwc

kpinnc

I hit a root this afternoon mowing around a blown down tree from one of last year's storms and now I have to pound out the front of the deck to get it back in service.

Don't want to hijak the thread, but a good permanent fix to such things is to weld a 1/2 inch rod all the way around the "lip" of the deck. Wheel horse did it with later models to stiffen up the part of the deck that always gets bent.

Repeatedly bending the front of the deck will definitely lead to it being warped and result in an uneven cut.

I've done it to a couple decks, and it really makes them stronger. I can stop a tractor dead in it's tracks and not bend anything. Obviously that's not the best thing to do, but I mow sorta slow anyway...

BTW, glad to hear the Eaton swap has worked well!

• Like 1

dwcphoto

Thanks for the tip. Did you use rebar? I might have someone who can do that. Bending the rod might be a challenge... thanks for your help. best, dwc