dave269

axle seals ??

dave269

wher can I get axle seals for my 1960 suburban 400 ??

dave269

OVER 60 VIEWS AND NOT ONE ANSWER THANKS A LOT FRIENDS !!!!!!!!!!!!

rmaynard

I am not a 400 owner, nor do I have much info on them, but I did a parts search and found that the seal number is 1257. If you use the search feature provide in this forum, and type in the search term "1257 seals", you might be lucky enough to find the information you are looking for.

Sparky

Obviously the 60 folks who viewed this thead dont have the answer....including me! Rest assured if I knew the answer I would have posted it. Give it time, we have a bunch of guys very knowledgable about the old round hoods but they dont visit everyday.

Mike...........

Martin

if the seal is indeed wh 1257, i did a little research and found out that toro p/n 83-2840 superseded 1257. google wh 1257 the info is out there.

heres an interesting read on mikesrj's site..........

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/modules.php?name=docs2&do=show_doc&id=17

july 15th update at the bottom of the page......

Brian Overholser

I just ordered the 83-2840 from parts tree. They weren't cheap. just google the part number

hcminis

You might give Motion Industries a call. Tell them the measurements for the seal. Will be checking out the seals for a 1961 401 tomorrow or Friday. Those seals are no longer available which are 1232 and 1303. However, gave Motion Industries the dimensions and they had a seal for me to look at for sizing. Fortuneately I have one each of the original never installed seals that will make it easy for a comparison. These are for the input and brake shafts though. Will check tomorrow for the axle shaft. Probably be next week before I have a definte answer.

tony france

Hi, I am new to this site. It's great has alot of info on here. I have a 1961 401 also, that I am restoring. I am at the axle. And I need the seals (axle seals, and brake drum shaft seal) that you mentioned in your post. I would like to know if you ever found out if Motion Industries had them? Thank you for your time. Have a great day.

gwest_ca

I think you find there is a Chicago Rawhide replacement for the axle seals but they won't work. Instead of installing the seal into a tube or counter bore Wheel Horse installed the seal over the axle tube. Difference in seal design. Toro still has the original replacement that will work.

Garry

tony france

Thanks Gary for the info.

stevasaurus

You have to buy the axle seals from TORO...they are about $18 apiece...ouch...  # 83-2840

As far as the brake shaft seal...if you have the ball bearing...the seal is timken # 471643  WH # 1234.

If you have the needle bearing...the seal is SKF 7410...WH # 1303...both of these seals are available from Motion Industries.  If the OD of the hole is 1 5/8"...you have the ball bearing.  If the OD of the hole is 1"...you have the needle bearing.  Hope that helps..:)

Use the WH #'s if you buy them from TORO.

tony france

Thank you so much. I appreciate everyone helping me.