Sign in to follow this  
TT

1987 312 8 speed picture added to gallery

TT

A crippled Horse came to visit yesterday, so I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures of it for the gallery.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3731

It belongs to the BIL of a fellow I used to work with. Seems this guy thought he could keep using it after the lower steering support broke, and it ended up ruining the teeth on the upper and lower steering shaft gears! B)

I replaced all three pieces of the steering, did a full service, cleaned the carb, (the M12 Magnum would only run on full choke) repaired the throttle control cable, and fabbed up a new battery hold down. (there was some nice yellow rope holding the battery in place when it came here. <_>

It should be good to go for another 20 years! :whistle:

T-Mo

It isn't a bad looking tractor. I need to fab me up some battery hold downs for both my C-125 and C-141. B)

combatmp29r

Its times like these that the piles of parts we keep tripping over make sense huh Terry? Oh and JD tarp straps do not qualify as battery hold downs :whistle: B)

T-Mo

Its times like these that the piles of parts we keep tripping over make sense huh Terry? Oh and JD tarp straps do not qualify as battery hold downs B)B)

You caught me, Joel. But I was actually thinking of something in the metallic material type :whistle: B)

combatmp29r

Well I believe a metalic :whistle: would qualify as long as its B)

TT

Luckily, the "L" bolts were still intact on this 312 and I only had to fab the cross piece. It's funny (NOT) how many of these I see without the proper securement for the battery. B)

combatmp29r

It's funny (NOT) how many of these I see without the proper securement for the battery. :whistle:

I agree Terry. The JD210 in my shop I posted about over in the other brands section has some baler twine holding the battery in, and I don't know how many horses i've gone and got with tarp straps as battery retention devices B)

T-Mo

My C-141 current battery hold-down.

100_0522_resize-1.jpg

Non-metallic, tarp B)

combatmp29r

Shame Shame JD B)

T-Mo

BTW, my JD X320 and the JD LT133 that I used to have both had rubber bungee type battery hold downs. See image below for my X320.

battery_hold-down.jpg

Item 6 is a rubber strap. B)

kpinnc

It's funny (NOT) how many of these I see without the proper securement for the battery

I use a 1/2 inch zip tie on my 310... :whistle:B)

Works Great! B)

Kevin

combatmp29r

Yep thats why we have Horses here B)

TT

BTW, my JD X320 and the JD LT133 that I used to have both had rubber bungee type battery hold downs. See image below for my X320.

Item 6 is a rubber strap. B)

I could think of a better application for rubber usage for the Chinese/Japanese. :whistle:B)

(he REALLY DIDN'T type that, did he ? B) )

combatmp29r

I don't care who you are, now thats funny right there B) :whistle:

TT

No offense to the JD brand (well - maybe a little B) ) but it seems like most of the newer models have a substantial use of plastic and rubber where there used to be steel.

The "rubber" thought just crossed my mind, so I flagged it down and posted it here. :whistle:

T-Mo

I do agree that a lot of the newer tractors have way too much plastic. But, if you would see how well made my X320 is and how well it mows, you could almost overlook the plastic. I do wish for some more metal and if there was my tractor probably would weigh over 700 lbs. Right now it weights about 650 lbs or more, and that's with the use of plastic and aluminum block engines and an aluminum transaxle. But, the frame is heavy duty and that deck is very heavy. BTW, has anyone here toured the Horicon, Wisconsin plant where the higher echelon JD's are made?

To get back on-topic :whistle: , my battery hold down on my C-141 was so rusted that when I changed out the battery one of the J-bolts snapped at the nut. So.....rubber tarp strap to the rescue. B)

daemon2525

My restored 1057 is missing the battery tray. I have one of the red Ratchet straps around it. Actually it works very well. The ratchet gets TIGHT!

DMESS

That really isn't a bad looking Horse at all. How the heck did he bust the steering support? Overall the machine doesn't look abused. B)

DMESS

I could think of a better application for rubber usage for the Chinese/Japanese. B)B)

(he REALLY DIDN'T type that, did he ? B) )

Item 6 doubles as a tow strap. :whistle:

TT

How the heck did he bust the steering support?

The guy that brought it to me told me that his BIL doesn't show mercy to any of his equipment. The tractor really isn't that bad, and before I actually got to see it, it was described as being ready for the scrap yard. B)

Here's some pics of the three bad pieces:

1987312-8005.jpg

1987312-8006.jpg

1987312-8008.jpg

It DID steer a little (when it felt like it B) ), but you could have never driven it that way. Too bad he couldn't have gotten the lower support replaced before it chewed up the gears - it would have been a lot easier to repair, and a lot cheaper too. :whistle:

DMESS

Okay, I've seen them cracked on one side or the other, but WTF did he hit to bust it into three pieces? That seems pretty severe unless one side went and he just kept on pluggin' away without a care.

rustbucket

hmm if you all looked under my GT's hood at the show all i had holding the batery in place was one of those massive heavy duty zip ties for industrial use.