Sign in to follow this  
Tim S.

B-100 not starting

Tim S.

Ok last summer semi restored b-100 started and ran good every time, battery date was 2006. Charged battery couple times over winter it was stored inside, went to start tractor last week it wouldn't even click had to put starter charger on to start, put charger on 50 amp mode for a minute,got a click. Left starter on 50 amp start mode for 5 minutes and it started right up putted around yard little bit parked it tried to start again right away and it started, figured battery was just low.

Couple days ago went to start it again, nothing not a click. Went and bought new battery at Tractor supply huskee brand, figured old battery from 2006 lasted that long although tractor sat for a couple years with broken rod till rebuilt engine last summer. So I bought another huskee battery 450 ca 380 cca. Old battery was like 350 ca.amp and like 280 cc amp. Installed battery turn key, nothing no click. Get starter/charger out put on 50 amp start mode click, leave sit 5 minutes come back fires right up. leave idle for 3 or 4 minutes then shut it down, try to restart, nothing not even a click.

Starter charger reads battery is charged but it seems It needs that extra boost to get it to start. Could it be the solenoid or starter shorting out causing this. All electrical connections were cleaned last summer when tractor was being rebuilt. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I will probably take new battery to get checked but I'm beginning to think the old battery was still ok.

can whlvr

one way to check the problem is next time it acts up,take a booster cable from pos side of battery to the starter and see if it turns over,it sounds like the soliniod,but i would check all the connections too

ericj

recheck the connections and clean i've had connections go dirty in a couple of weeks.its a cheap fix if that's what it is.

eric

gwgdog66

Check connections at the switch. I had a bad connection there once, that caused it to click the starter. It was the "S" terminal on the switch, some corrosion.

Tim S.

Thanks for the reply's guys, I cleaned all the connections hooked everything back up and it fired right up and restarted again and again with no hesitation, a couple of connections had a little oxidation which must have been the problem.

Thanks, Tim