Challenger

Bagger/Vac for Toro Wheel Horse Garden Tractor

Challenger

A neighbor has a Toro Wheel Horse Bagger/Vac that will fit my 48" mower deck. I've never had one, used one, watched one work.

Do they work well? Are they reliable/minimal trouble? Are they for leaves as well as grass? Powerful enough to pick-up acorns? Loud? Dangerous?

Any other thoughts/opinions?

Unit looks to be in good shape and seller states it works fine. Price opinion?

Thanks.

(A different neighbor has suggested "Real Men Don't Use Bagger/Vacs")

Paul D.

Mamma always said, "work smarter not harder"

MalMac

If it's the bagger vac with the blower that mounts on deck and runs off the deck pulley belt. I have one and yes they do work well. With that said there are a few drawbacks. You can't go very fast because they will clog quick. Damp grass or leaves is nothing but problems. They are loud because your turning a blower so you get the whine sound. They can be dangerous, I once picked up a small rock just alittle smaller than a golf ball. Thing blew a hole in the blower housing just came right up past my ear. If your cutting really green grass the bags can get real heavy up toward 60lbs.each. It does pick up leaves great just have to move slow if in heavy leaves. I put gator blades on and it made a big difference in doing leaves just made the bags heavy. I only use mine for leaves mainly I have a dedicated deck for it. To me the plus out weight the minuses.

Challenger

Your small rock experience got my attention! I don't live on a golf course quality property. Here on an old farm a rock now and then appears.

MalMac

Maybe I should clarify myself, I have not intentional picked up small rocks and sticks and they went through just fine even some bigger ones. But this particular rock I did not see and it must have hit the High Impact nylon blower casing just right and WHAM! I had a projectile that could have caused a trip to the hospital or worse yet undertaker. I was lucky. I should say that I have used it for several years without and incident happening.

Challenger

Thanks for the additional thoughts.

AMC RULES

Is there a seperate motor that runs the blower?

bk-scouter

I have one of these too (#79301) for my 48" deck. I love mine, but they do clog up every once and a while. I was able to improve that by using Gator blades so the clippings were finer and flowed better into the bags. Also not cutting very tall and/or wet grass helps too. In regards to noise, they are loud, but so is mowing without the blower in the first place. I wear sound suppression head gear whenever I mow so it's not an issue. I haven't shot anything out like MalMac mentioned before, so I can't comment on that. If your looking to get one, make sure that the blower housing does not have any cracks in it. They are about $200 to replace. I believe you can still order the whole attachment kit from Toro For around $900.

Craig- the blower is powered by running a short belt off of the right deck spindle pulley. The blower does make my 14 horse Kohler work a little harder though. The 520 should be no problem.

-BK

AMC RULES

Yeah, I want one in a bad way...just not quite $900 bad, that's all. :eusa-doh:

floor-it

Hi Challenger,

I have a PECO vacuum system that installs in 15 minutes on the rear of any 300/400/500 series Wheel Horse Tractors. The PECO system uses a 4 Hp Briggs to ad suction to the deck and it lenver clogs. I attached a sort video clip of some of the products. Mine is about 22 years old and has clogged 1 time due to a large tree limb that was caught in the hose.

My system does not have the trailer. It cantilever mounts on the rear of the tractor. It installs on the rear axle and rests on the top of the rear hitch. 2 J-bolts are used to secure it the rear hitch. It has 12 Cu ft capacity and saves me about 12-15 hours of raking and blowing the leaves each fall.

Gary

Forest Road

Yup. Im still a fan of the old lawn sweepers. No motor to maintain.

mabell1618

Does anyone have the belt drive schematic from the deck to the blower pully?