Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Pic's of the SK486 I picked up last night

bo dawg

Well I tinkerd a while today checking this ol girl out blowing it off and doing some minor repairs. Cut out the strapping that was holding the battery in and replaced with actual hook rods and rod hold down.

Then replaced breather filter, I dont know how it was breathing... the filter was pack solid and the foam piece on the outside on filter was dirty and brittle. Engine runs so good and smooth but does smoke on start and rev's just for a sec. I dont think it was used for a while, I think it sat outside or in a shed for a time of the 8 years PO said he owned it. Lot of mud dobber homes, and all the bolts are rusted up good.

But over all the only issues I found was the wiring is a bit hacked up, and where the cross member bolts on for the gas tank and fender pan is broke on one side and cracked on the other side as you'll see in the pic's.

DSC04855.jpg

DSC04854.jpg

DSC04861.jpg

DSC04856.jpg

DSC04858.jpg

DSC04857.jpg

Here is the muffler which the picture doesn't do justed. Its been welded on so many times it leaks all over it.

DSC04859.jpg

BOWTIE

HELLO BO DAWG, I ADDED A BRACE TO MY MUFFLER. IT BOLTED UP TO ORIGINAL BRACKET ON THE MUFFLER. IT'S ABOUT 3" LONG AND BOLTS TO THE BLOCK. THE THREADED HOLE WAS ALREADY THERE IN THE BLOCK. THANKS

BOWTIE

bowtiebutler956

A little love, and she will be good as new Bo Dawg!! Once again, I think you got a really neat Horse there. :wicked:

Matt :flags-texas:

bo dawg

Well after a little bath and some tinkering here she is. There is some red color left on her even though a lot of it was brushed on, but now flaking off. Its not perfectly clean but at least she can breath. I changed the back wheels out with another set I had just like what was on it.

DSC04934.jpg

DSC04933.jpg

DSC04936.jpg

DSC04935.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Very nice! So are you going to keep it as just a worker, or give it a restoration? :thumbs:

bo dawg

I don't know yet, probably use as a worker for now and restore it later or both. LOL!

I'm a little worried, the engine seems to smoke a bit more the more I run it. I changed the oil tonight boy was it black. When I'm running around in the yard and give it more throttle it stalls a sec before it increases rpm. The engine idles so smooth and runs so quite for it to act like that.

Hydro

Might just be the jets need adjusting or the carb needs a kit. That's a nice looking tractor! Whatever you have to do with that Kohler will be worth it.

wheelhorse 1045

might need a quick bore and a new set of rings but a diamond in the ruff for sure

leeave96

Might just be the jets need adjusting or the carb needs a kit. That's a nice looking tractor! Whatever you have to do with that Kohler will be worth it.

+1

The single cylinder 16 hp Kohler is a very desired engine, regardless if it is in a Wheelhorse, IH Cub Cadet or other make tractor. They have plenty of power to spare.

Nice tractor.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I agree with Bill, its a very desirable Kohler, but its also a very desirable Wheel Horse. Fixing it up is a win win situation. :thumbs:

Hydro

16 & Single...don't you wish :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

• Like 1

bo dawg

16 & Single...don't you wish :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

like you wouldn't believe!!

frankiefiredog

I also own an SK-486. Yours is in better shape than mine, but it runs very well. I posted some pictures on the old forum. It is a great tractor. It runs so strong and that Kohler just pounds out the power. Nice find!

The carb on mine needed work when I bought it. $25 for a carb rebuild and life is good. I do love that big fuel tank!

Hodge71

Great Looking machine. I lost out on one 2 years ago with a Haban sickle bar mower on it. It wasnt as sweet as yours but still neat

Good luck with it!

bo dawg

Thanks for the comments all. Yeah the engine runs good and sounds strong and quite, no noise. When low idle it just purs so sweet. BUT on the other hand there's some smoke only on throttle up and I noticed just when I'm riding it that it stalls a sec when I throttle up. I will keep playing with it maybe it will straighten up on the other hand things. I'll tinker with the carb too.

Isn't there an additive to put in with the oil that might help or slow the smoke down a bit? it wasn't as bad till I changed the oil and put new clean fresh in. Now smokes more

Funny how the PO said it didn't use oil, never has to add any to it. Wow! really? He also said changed it every season. Wow! what I drained out was sludgey and black. Go figure!

He also said the deck that was on it cut grass...no freakin way...at least not right. Its junk...not much on it thats worth a flip.

Oh well...anything to make a sell. I bought it off craigs list, 2 1/2 hr drive away. LOL!