Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Mule drive question

Duff

OK, guys, the new kid has another dumb question! B)

Is it normal for a mule drive to loosen up during operation? By loosen up, I mean release the amount of tension it is holding on the belt. I mowed for about an hour the other day and suddenly the deck quit - only a slight shudder a minute or so before it quit, but I was on rough ground at the time and didn't think anything of it. Then it just stopped spinning. When I shut down and got off, I found the belt had jumped off one of the idlers on the deck - no damage, just popped off and quit spinning. I checked the spindles - only slightly warm to the touch and spinning freely, and both idlers - same - so I'm guessing a bearing didn't lock up (and they are all new anyway, and properly greased). The same thing happened again tonight but no "shudder" before it simply stopped turning.

When I rebuilt the mule drive I replaced the thrust washer and the spring washer, and cleaned and lubed things very thoroughly. Maybe I should not have lubed the threaded tensioner rod? B)

Thoughts, gents?

Thanks!

Deereman :whistle:

kj4kicks

Hi Duff, Probably shouldn't have lubed the threads. B)

Also, if it was a brand new belt, they will often stretch a little until they get broken in.

Keep us posted.

Duff

Probably shouldn't have lubed the threads. B)

Also, if it was a brand new belt, they will often stretch a little until they get broken in.

Aaah! Probably a bit of both - and yes, it is a brand new belt (one of those darned six-sided wonders....but I just picked up a second brand new one to keep on hand as a spare for $15 on fleabay!). B)

I'll give it another couple hours mowing time and if it still loosens up and throws the belt I'll dismantle the tensioner and de-grease the threads. B)

By the way, how tight should I be running the belt?

Thanks, Eldon!

Duff :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

I always tension my belt in the "lifted" position. Then when I lower it...it will add a bit more tension to the belt.

If it isn't grease on the tension rod. Then you might have assembled something wrong.

It is all about the geometry.

TT

Deereman, I remember my 37" deck shedding the belt a few times, and I think it was due to a sudden bump or twist in the yard.

The front idler pullies on the deck should have had some kind of guides on them from the factory, but never did.

I have always used anti-seize on the tensioner bolt and have never had a problem with one loosening up. It's strange that yours loosened with the new wave washer installed. B)

I usually tension the belt to where it just starts to pull the deck tight against the mounting frame "slack". (about 2" deflection in the span between the PTO pulley and the front tensioner when moved by hand, I believe.) If you get them too tight, the deck can't float correctly and it increases the wear on the idler and spindle shaft bearings.

DOC in Kentucky

TT and Eldon,

Did I here someone say " MULE DRIVE" :whistle:

B)

TT

YAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Good eye, Doc! B)

Stigian

Hiya Duff, my raider 10 has the same problem with the mule drive/belt tighten B) working loose after an hour odd.

I guess i should sort it out at some point, but as it only happens when im cutting long grass (once a month) its not a problem.

Getting of the seat to tighten it also gives my legs a much welcome stretch after an hour odd bouncing around cutting the grass :whistle:

TT

Just a helpful hint to those who have this problem and want it "corrected" easily. Thread a nut on the exposed end of the adjusting bolt threads and tighten it snugly against the trunnion on the adjuster once the belt tension is set. (basically a jam nut B) )

DMESS

While we're on the subject, do all of you loosen the belt tension each time you finish mowing? I do this, but figured I'm probably being anal. B)

TT

Anal? B) Mowing? :whistle:

Oh, yeah.... now I know. B)

The HIPPO! B)

4a28b525.jpg

DMESS

The monkey says to the hippo......

mbutt.jpg

CasualObserver

B)

combatmp29r

Come on Jason you know it was funny B)

CasualObserver

Yeah... I just don't have a shaking head / smiling emoticon!

guess i could just use both. B) :whistle:

combatmp29r

You don't have an emoticon????? What is the world coming to?

CasualObserver

Eh... don't feel like going to look for one.... B)

Duff

While we're on the subject, do all of you loosen the belt tension each time you finish mowing? I do this, but figured I'm probably being anal. B)

Dustin, at the risk of becoming the "butt" of another round of jokes, yeah, I loosen my mower belt at the end of each session. Figure it may help that pricey six-sided belt last a little longer. BTW, got that spare one off eBay for $15. Thanks for not outbidding me! B)

Ian, getting off to stretch may be a very good thing - I agree! B)

TT, thanks for the tip on the added nut! B)

Later, guys!

Duff :whistle: