Sign in to follow this  
Jtjones

GT-14 hydro help ?

JUSS10

i had this on one of mine. i no longer have the tractor, but the springs that control the valves for forward and reverse were busted. replaced those and it did help a fair bit. thats a pretty easy fix to do. there is a section in the sunstrand manual on how to remove the valves and springs. there is an inner and outer spring. the stiff inner springs were broke on mine.

Justin

Jtjones

Updating an old post...

Well, I got to do a lot of work with the GT14 working as it was, but it jsut kept getting worse. When I first got it, the down pressure on the plow was able to lift the fromt of the tractor. It would not do that any more, so I called Bozrah Power (as suggested by Sparky above) and had Larry come pick it up. He has gone through it and tried a few things, but says "its old and tired and needs more help than he can give it". He said he knows someone close by that has some available WH parts, so he promised to call to see if they had anything that might help me.

I am guessing a rebuild is in order, which I cannot do. Any other suggestions ? Larry has checked for clogged strainer, clogged filter, tow valve, motion control valve, and relief valve.

Any opinions on replacement hydro pump options (I hear that the Charger model may be a bolt up fit) ?

I need a rugged, strong, work tractor for plowing and hauling.....I think the GT14 fits the bill, but if I cant fix this one, I will have to look for something else.

oldredrider

The hydro pump from a Charger is a direct bolt up. The motor is not. The gearing drive to the transaxle is different...I assume because of tire size differences. I used a Charger pump on my old worn out GT-14 and it works great.

Ole MN

I had a motor i bought differant tractor can't remember from what. But the gears were not the same, so i switched them wasn't to bad to do. Also have you tried this?

HYDROGEAR SERVICE NOTE

PROBLEM: Tractor will not operate in either direction.

Problem usually occurs suddenly, with little or no

warning.

CAUSE: Internal plug (

B) is either loose, or has fallen

completely out of position.

1. Remove the side socket head plug © using a

3/16†Allen wrench.

2. Insert the long arm of a Allen wrench into

the horizontal passage exposed in Step 1,

across the large vertical passage, and determine

if the internal plug is in place.

3. If the internal plug is in place but is loose,

tighten it securely and replace the side plug.

4. If the internal plug is not in place, use a 7/16â€

Allen wrench to remove the top plug (a). The

internal plug is usually found at the bottom of

the large vertical passage. Retrieve it with a

magnet.

5. Insert the internal plug through the horizontal

passage, across the large vertical passage, and

tighten it securely in place. Then reinstall both

the side and top plugs.

I Blow an axle breaing so when i had it all apart i checked and the allen was not tight. Tighten it up and it seems to have more power and

sounds a little quieter. this is on page 50 of the manual.

coldone

There are a few used hydros on ebay for the GT14, but you maybe trading one bad for another.

Fro my limited expierence with the D series Hydros, the culprit is a scored valve plate. It seems like a daunting task to tear into one of the hydros but its not as bad as you would think. To acess the pumps valve plate is very simple, pullthe hydro and remove 4 screws that hold the aluminum housing on. Once you seperate it the valve plate is right there. 20 minutes worth of lapping on a flat plate and you could have a usable hydro again. The motor is a little more complicated to get to the plate but its not bad. The think is already unusable so why not tear into it and see if you can get it going.

pfrederi

I am with Coldone on this. Work wroth what you have first. I have purchased sever used pumps and motors....every one of them had issues when I opened them up. All said they "Came from a good running tractor"....yeah right!!!

Jtjones

Good feedback, I will keep working on it.

Thanks !

pfrederi

There are a few used hydros on ebay for the GT14, but you maybe trading one bad for another.

Fro my limited expierence with the D series Hydros, the culprit is a scored valve plate. It seems like a daunting task to tear into one of the hydros but its not as bad as you would think. To acess the pumps valve plate is very simple, pullthe hydro and remove 4 screws that hold the aluminum housing on. Once you seperate it the valve plate is right there. 20 minutes worth of lapping on a flat plate and you could have a usable hydro again. The motor is a little more complicated to get to the plate but its not bad. The think is already unusable so why not tear into it and see if you can get it going.

The GTs came with a hydrogear transmission. You can work on the pump side but the motor side is a gear pump and not serviceable.