Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

30w Oil getting scarce in my parts!?!

boovuc

I went to purchase Pennsoil 30w oil for the summer season and I struck out at our local Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Advanced Auto and NAPA. I found a few Valvoline but not enough to change all the tractors. i wound up buying Advanced Auto's "Brand" of 30w.

I'm not pleased! :angry:

I have very little used 10w30 in two of my tractors. (The C-`175 and the 310-8 Speed). The C blew snow ONCE and the 310 plowed snow once over the winter. That means each tractor had about an hour's use on the 10w 30 in them. I always used 30w in all the horses in the summer but man, this is getting crazy dollar wise!

huh? i'm not sure why you can't find it , we have tons of it the the stores here in Minnesota. have you tried O'Reilly Auto Parts?

bowtiebutler956

The price of oil is absolutely ridiculous, $5 a quart for the junk stuff down here. The only place I go for my oil is Orielly's, they still have a good selection of straight 30 down here. I prefer Valvoline, but at $6 a quart it sure is hard to pay for it. Conventional oil is almost as expensive as synthetic now. :banghead: My blood is starting to boil just thinking about it, just look at what you went and did to me! :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

varosd

the Ace at the bottom of my hill has tons of 30w and all the multi viscosity too. I know, since I grabbed the 30w by accident this past Winter, sometimes the "little" guys have all the good stuff.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I wonder if it's a seasonal thing...I've been thinking 30 weight is getting harder to find around here too. :dunno:

yeah , oil has gotten expensive....that's why you wait for the oil specials and stock up

smoreau

I get it at TLC buy the Gal. or walmart buy the Gal. for around $13

dcrage

I have asked this before and I will ask it again -- Does anybody understand what the damage is to our Kohlers when we use 10W-30 oil in the summer -- What is happening in the time it takes for the multivicosity oil to warm up to where it has 30 wt viscosity?? -- I mean it used to be that my only excuse was I was being lazy in not changing when oil was <$1/qt -- Now when it can be $5/qt and there is low hours on the current oil change like Boovac illlustrated............ -- I know the manuals tell us to change, but I would like to hear from some of you experienced guys that have been into a lot of engines explain some of this to me

Thanks

squonk

When I worked at Napa, Their store brand 30W was Valvoline

can whlvr

ive never run 30 weight oil but have too many machines to change the iol over season,i know its supposed to be 30 in the summer,but i change the oil alot in my tractors,but thats just me,and 30 weight is hard to find around me also

sorekiwi

My tractors burn more oil if I run multi-grade in summer. But having said that I usually dont bother changing it till late May or so. I use Rotella and havent noticed it being harder to find.

boovuc

When you look at the age of my tractors and the fact they are all used for one job or another almost year round and none of them burn or noticably use oil, you don't like changing things. I have ALWAYS used Pennsoil in my tractors. And I always used 30w Pennsoil in the summer. You just have to believe the books when they say the "best" lubrication in summer temps is 30w and the fact all of us have motors that are at a minimum 20 years old speaks for itself. I don't like using 10w-30 in the summer because of consumption. (Sorekiwi mentioned this also). When you have success, you don't like to change!

I also have a Series I KT17 in my C-175 and when the temps get anywhere near 45 degrees, it gets changed to 30w ASAP. I have NEVER found straight 30w in the 5qt jugs! Wish I did around here. I may have to have NAPA order it in for me. I have heard that NAPA's oil is Valvoline also. (Thanks Squonk).

I just hope the Advanced Auto motor oil isn't the same oil found in a Singer sewing machine!

Our county seat in Clinton County, PA has over 8000 people. That's the BIG town here! My village of Rote has a few hundred and many are Amish! We have no O'Reilly Auto Parts. We have K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Advanced Auto and NAPA plus some locally owned farm supply places. 35 miles east and west gets me Auto Zone and Tractor supply plus a few more local auto parts places. We're a little rural! This is the first season I have had trouble getting 30w Pennsoil but it really hit home when you can't find any leading manufacturer in the chain stores with a 30w on a shelf! I'm going to Cincinnati for a few days next month. Going to pick up some oil in the Buckeye state I guess!

sorekiwi

I normally get my Rotella 30 Wt from TSC, or if I have to, Walmart.

I used to work for a race team that was sponsored by Pennzoil, and for my tractors I used straight 30 wt "air cooled engine oil". I liked that stuff but I havent seen it for years. I made an effort to find something else spec'd for air cooled engines and Rotella was the closest I could find.

I would use synthetics but the price puts me off, I would prefer to use a cheaper oil and change it more often.

roost

same oil, look at the back of bottle for the circle depends on what your machine calls for. for example if you need sae 30w whether its penzoil or a store brand same oil. i use mills fleet farm store brand in everything i have never had a issue. turn the bottles around and compare. you pay more for the the brand names, lots more advertising is what your paying for. its the api service is what your looking at for comparsion. store brands are a lot cheaper. hope that helps.

MalMac

I just got done getting some 30wt. Had one heck of a time trying to find it. Had to use 3 different stores to get enough to change all the tractors. With all the high oil prices and everything wonder what's up with having trouble with getting the straight wt's.

rmaynard

My local Advance Parts store has at least 4 name brands plus store brand 30W oil in stock. Since Brian Miller (gardentractorpullingtips.com) recommends non-detergent oil, I buy Shell or Quaker State 30W ND by the case when it's on sale. Usually I can get a case of 12 for around $42.00.

SNYFIX

We were told that we can use 10w30 oil in any non-OHV engine

however you do have to check your oil more often as it will consume it.

Kohler added the zinc additive, (used in deisel engines) back into their

10w-30 oil to quiet the valve lifters in their OHV engines.

Small engine shops are a good source of 30w oil as most small engines use it.

SousaKerry

I have used Rotella T 30W for several years now and never change it in the winter, most of my tractors see limited service now so I rarely change oil at all and they run just fine. I usually buy it at farm stores they tend to carry more of the rare-er oils

liketoplayto

i use 30 wt non detergent in tractors dont have oil filters and detergent in with the ones that have filters i use about any 30 wt i can get because there all the same u just pay for the flashy labeling on the bottle and all the advertising u see in the papers and tv thanks

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I have not had any trouble finding 30W here...west of Chicago, but I have not had to buy any for a while. You guys are scaring me with the prices you are talking about. I think I will check out buying it buy the gallon. Thanks for this thread guys. :) I have to ask...is there a reason that I can not use 30W in the winter, other then it may be a little harder to start.??

dcrage

Yeah -- What Steve just asked about 30w -- Especially if your tractors are a semi-heated garage -- Is there any down side to running 30w year round in this senario??

squonk

I run 30w in my 704, 160 and my Power King year round. Insulated garage but only heated by my truck when I park it. Never a problem starting.

KC9KAS

I use 30w year round, and I purchased it a Rural King.

My garage isn't always heated (only when I spend a lot of working time), but it is insulated, and I have not had a starting problem.

Hydro

I've been looking around here for 30W and can't find it so I went to the John Deere Dealer :hide: just like I did last year and bought their oil and it has the Zinc additive. For me it's only 2 litres for 2 engines. Let's face they have lots of old tractors all over still in service which called for 30 weight oil.

liketoplayto

i run 30 w in all my tractors power washers go carts all year round i bought a new snap on power washer they sent a quart of there oil it was 10 w 40 and i thought i never heard such a thing so i put it in and used it for half hour maybe it quit running well figure it being new and all it mite be low on oil so i open the oil lid up and it shout out like old faithful it was thinner then water i put straight 30 w in it and i ran it for 3 hours non stop till it ran out of gas and filled gas checked the oil and it was finee thanks