Sign in to follow this  
neil

just bought a 312-8 & dont know much about them ,info required

meadowfield

nope, just painting it straight on !

Mith

HI Neil,

the 312-8 is a good tractor. Some have the 1-1/8" 8 pinion unidrive which is strong.

My digger started out as a 312-8

Image065.jpg

neil

Hi Mith

good to hear from you again. do you still have your tractor in the pic

Raider10

Are you guys thinning the paint to help it to flow out before it starts to settle and dry? :scratchead:

Sorry for hijacking your thread with this Brush painting malarky Neil but people seem interested.

Never really needed to thin brush paint as its usually ready to use straight out of the tin. Temperature is the most important thing. too cold and it takes ages to dry, too warm and it quickly forms a skin which makes the brush drag and the brush marks are more prominent. Incidently, My raider and my dads norlett is painted with non drip gloss household paint purchased from a local hardware shop. It says its suitable for metal and the finish is better than any coach paint ive ever used. Its like jelly in the tin but brushes on great and the finish is outstanding, especially on axle components and linkages etc. Makes some parts look like they've been plastic coated. My only concern is that its not as durable as proper enamel paint which most people use. The other thing is everything looks so much better on a photo. You cant see all the blemishes and brush lines.

Back to Neils thread anyway. Have you picked it up yet? is the paint as good as it looks?

Ian :)

neil

Thanx for the info on your Brush painting Ian.

I pick up tractor on thursday so will have picks on thursday eve,

Isnt it funny how you get that feeling of excitement when you go to collect a new tractor , well not " NEW" but you know what i mean.

Raider10

:) I know exactly what you mean Neil. I was well excited when i picked up my new lawn ranger the other week. I'm still excited now.

Havent touched the c105 since. That still needs finishing for our first show which is only about 5 weeks off. Had to call a halt to projecting tonight as its too bloomin cold. Going away over easter anyway so will have to wait till tuesday to start fettling again.

:woohoo: Ian

wheeledhorseman

There you go using that 'F' word again. :angry-nono:

Andy

neil

maybe Andy should change his name to

( The Fettler )

Stigian

Out of all the Wh's that have come, gone, and are still here, by far the strongest, most reliable, and most used is my 312-8. They are just incredibly good machines.

I've even towed 2.5 tons of fully loaded Landrover and trailer with no problems what so ever!!

I think you will get on just fine with your 312-8 Neil :thumbs:

Mith

Hi Mith

good to hear from you again. do you still have your tractor in the pic

Hi Neil, good to see you too.

Yes, still have the tractor. Havent used it really for over a year, just sits in the shed collecting dust :(

Anglo Traction

Hi Neil, Great find and Great Bargain. I trust you managed to collect it ok. I dare say your out there cleaning and driving it about at the moment?. Looking forward to more pics.

Regards

neil

finally got tractor home from Oxford on thursday . Got the tractor outa the van & drove it 30yrds and i get a ouncture in the tyre :confusion-confused::banghead:

That will teach me to clean up the nails when cleaning old 4x2 timbers that i was using for another project

All seems to be ok with the tractor apart from lights not working , but i can live with that,

it came with the dozer blade hitch which is real handy as they are quite hard to get hold of.

The paint work is not too bad but looks better in the pics that on the tractor , as it was painted with bright red hammerite paint which look abit orange up against the other tractors, and the previous owner just painted the main panels so it wasnt stripped down and repainted , However is still looks quite tidy.

I will probably use it for most of the work around the yard as it is quite nippy

The ag tyres that came with the tractor are quite cracked but useable so i will put those on for the time being until i get that darn puncture fixed

DSC02594.jpg

DSC02595.jpg

WH Raider10

Very nice 312 you got there Neil! They're great machines! :)

Raider10

:) Lookin good Neil. I agree that hammerite looks orangy though. I cant seem to get away from orangy red paint. My raider looks quite orangy so decided on international red for the c105. that looks orangy too. Mark got the same colour but a different make and that looks much darker. A bit too dark for my ranger i thought soi decided to use ferguson super red instead. Had a look today and that looks orangy too. I just cant win! :banghead::angry-cussingblack:

Ian

WH Raider10

Check out RAL 3003, I like it very much. I use Duplicolor ratlle cans.

neil

I have recently tried a tin of craft master paint Armanco staionary engine enamal paint Carnation Red/ although it looked good and it was fantastic to use , the colour came out a bit dark , So in the pursuit of the right shade of red ,still is an ongoing issue , I would say that right shade of red is one of the most talked about subjects on Redsquare

with varying answers

dwcphoto

Hi Guys,

It would be an interesting thread to start new and discuss in detail all it takes to do a nice brush painting job. Thanks. Beautiful work! dwc

Don1977

I brush painted my rims to keep from having to mask them, did a lot of brush paint on bicycles backing when I was younger some where between 50's to 60's,

2009-06-05003.jpg