Sign in to follow this  
Greg B.

Newbie Question

Greg B.

What's the difference between a clevis hitch and a sleeve hitch?

Thanks,

Greg B.

CasualObserver

They're the same thing as far as I know. :D The clevis term refers to the "jaw" on the implement that slides over the sleeve hitch, and the sleeve term refers to the tube in the hitch part where the pin goes. Same thing, just referred to two different ways.

Greg B.

Thanks, Jason. The nuts and bolts is fairly easy, but the terminology is beating me up! :D

Greg B.

nylyon

I think he's right, they're the same thing.

Greg B.

Thanks for the confirm, Karl. Now, for the clincher. Are they pretty much the same, from year to year, or are they model specific? Example: I have a C-165. What model and year hitches would fit my tractor?

Apologies for being a PITA,

Greg B.

nylyon

I think that the hitch will be the same along the years, one of the great thing about being a Wheel Horse owner. The only difference will be the lift cable assembly to lift the hitch.

Rollerman

Here are some pics of the wheel horse hitches site. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsehi...yguid=147630997

The first pic shows 2 cultivaters ..the white on uses the "Brinly" Clevis hitch.

The rusty one fits the Wheelhorse slot hitch

dbf4.jpg

Next picture shows a slot hitch with a "sleeve" hitch adapter & a true Clevis hitch to the right.

eb92.jpg

Both do the same thing, allow you to use the Brinly implements.

A "Sleeve" hitch adapter is more handy letting you swap between the Wheelhorse implements & Brinly.

Only negative would be that some sleeve hitch adapters are kinda long & add more stress to the cable that Wheelhorse uses to lift in back

Hope this helps?

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

Please forgive me here fellas, I don't mean to sound like a "know it all", but I have to add something. If he doesn't have a picture of what he's asking about, he may get something he doesn't want. I've been there alot, so here goes:

In the Wheel Horse world, for the most part, they are one in the same in conversation at least. The Clevis hitch that Karl and Jason are referring to are common enough that they are considered to be the same. Not many Wheel Horse sleeve hitches out there, because they were for vertical shaft tractors per the Toro site.

For the Clevis hitch, the Wheel Horse part number is 85511(ex: early B,C series tractors, Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Electros, etc..), 85513 (300-400-500 series tractors), 85514 (newer B and C series tractors), and 85515 (tractors produced after 1980).

Now, don't let all the numbers bother you. ALL of the Clevis hitches had one common part, and it will fit your tractor. It looks like this:

IM000145.jpg

The only difference in the part numbers had to do with the lift cable and any assemblies required for different style tractors. Depending on the year of your C series, you may or may not need the "lever assembly" that routes the cable. The picture of mine above does NOT need it. Just a lift cable and go.

Wheel Horse did make a sleeve hitch after 1976, for tractors with vertical shaft engines. It will NOT fit your tractor. That model would lift manually.

Many manufactuers make a sleeve hitch for garden tractors. In most cases, they are fixed, and do not move up or down. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Sorry for the long post, and for sounding like a know it all,

Kevin

kpinnc

You beat me to it Stephen!

You must've posted while I was writing mine up!

I failed to mention the "sleeve adapter" you pictured.

Kevin

nylyon

of course, what Kevin said is what I meant. :D

Rollerman

Kevin no problem....."know it all!"...LOL

Actually your pic looks good ...probably a better idea of how it works.

Stephen in northern IN

Greg B.

You guys are terrific. Thanks to all of you.

Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but it seems, to me, that what I want is a CLEVIS hitch. I only have the one implement (ancient Brinley plow) and the clevis hitch appears to offer more lateral rigidity. The slot hitch, if worn, would offer an additional pivot for the tail to wag the horse...

The tractor is an 80ish C-165 Auto. I have it and a green animal, and they are gradually sorting out which chores they are going to devote their new lives to.

Greg B.

Rollerman

Greg I have slot hitch type & clevis type plows here.

When I put a sleeve adapter in & use the Brinly plow it hangs out the back a bit more & really makes the cable creak.

I think the true Clevis type hitch is a better setup for a plow than an adapter.

But thats just my opinion.

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

Stephen, I gotta be good at something! :D

My house is continually full of women (3 daughters and my wife), so I am a COMPLETE idiot unless I'm posting on this site! :P

Then I'm just a PARTIAL one...

Kevin

T-Mo

I'm not worthy!!!!

There's so much info here, I don't think I can get this straight. Thanks, guys, for the education. :D

Greg B.

Absolutely great forum! It's like a breath of fresh air. If y'all don't mind, I think I'll stick around a spell..... :D

Greg B.

Oh, did I do something wrong? On my posts there is a warn 0%, followed by some pink boxes.

T-Mo

Greg,

We're glad to have you here and, please do stick around.

I'm not sure what the "Warn" means, but I have that to on my posts. I don't think you have anything to be concern about unless there is another number in there besides "0%".

nylyon

Pay no attention to that warn 0% box, everyone sees that but on their own account only. Everyone on the board is at 0% and I don't think that it will ever be used, so, no you didn't do anything wrong and glad you're going to stick around.

kpinnc

Found a picture of a sleeve hitch!

Took a while, but here it is! Verical shaft tractors only:

7ae11.jpg

Kevin

Greg B.

But what is it mounted on, Kevin? That doesn't look anything like my C-165's hind end. All the other pics of the clevis hitch show a rather narrow loop. That has an appearance not unlike a JD integral hitch, but I like it...

I've got a hitch, of a RF JD and this pic is inspiring :D:P

Greg B.

kpinnc

Sorry Greg, The way I showed that was kinda goofy. :D

If you look at my first post, I was talking about the difference between a sleeve hitch and a clevis hitch. My first picture was a clevis hitch- and it WILL fit your C series:

IM000145.jpg

The pic of the sleeve hitch is mounted on a vertical shaft tractor, and it will NOT fit your C series:

7ae11.jpg

I just posted it to show the difference. I would've shown it in the original post, but I hadn't found the picture at the time.

Sorry about the confusion. I have a one track mind...

Kevin

Rollerman

You know what I get out of this....

I have a "sleeve" hitch in my parts bin that matches that one in your pic Kevin to a T.

I thought it was a Bolens or "gasp" Cup hitch!

Thanks for the picture & the ID.

Stephen in northern IN...Happy Thanksgiving to all today

kpinnc

Stephen, knock the bolts and pin slot out of it, stick on the front of a tractor-SUITCASE WEIGHT BRACKET! :D

Of course, you may find an older vertical shaft Wheel Horse...

Kevin