Sign in to follow this  
coldone

D200, Bringing it back to life. Pics and vids

coldone

During my daily CL cruise, I came across an add for a D200. It was a little farther than i wanted to venture so i made an offer on just the 3PTH. He replied back that he didnt know where it started or ended and didnt really want to mess with parting it out. He said if it didnt sell soon he was calling the scrapper. So i made and offer on the whole tractor. He accepted and we made arraignments. So after an all day road trip the D200 is at it new home. It has sat in a shed for about 15 years with the rear end torn out of it. The PO busted the diff in it and had taken apart to repair it. He never got around to it, although he had some of the replacement parts. The PO died several years ago and his son had to get rid of the tractor because the shed was falling in and nobody wanted the tractor. It took us about 3.5 hours to get up there (did I mention my lovely wife went with me and had fun). The drive was beautiful, didnt realize Roanoke was in the mountains, my wife loves the mountains. The GPS took us straight to his house, he (the son) greeted us and made us feel at home. We talked a little then he took me to see the gem. Even with its rearend torn out and the sheet metal pieces laying around it, I knew I had a keeper. He had rigged up a rear axle out of threaded rod and some cheap wheels. We had to pull it up the drive way with the truck, did i mention Roanoke was in the mountains? We got it to the road and hooked the trailer back up and loaded the tractor on it. Then we started hauling parts and boxes from the basement up to the truck. Everything for the tractor and rearend was there, bolts, nuts, bits and pieces. During this time we talked alot, we are both in the same industry and had a few stories to share. It made the trip much more personable that way. Anyway it took us a little longer since we had to go back a different way to pick up the kids at the inlaws. I finally got home and had a chance to look over the tractor a little more carefully, I checked the hour meter. It has only 200 hours on it and i believe it. The other goodies that came with it are:

Rear PTO

Turning brakes

Original luxury seat with no tears

Complete 3PTH including factory toplink

1975 accessories brochure

Even the dash light is still there.

I finally had some time to look things over. Nobody knows the story behind the rearend being taken apart but here is a list of what I have found:

Broken hub that has been brazed (well done) back together

Disc from turning brake (on same hub) has worn about halfway through on one side from the brake pad. Po had built up worn area with braze, but never finished grinding it down.

Axle shaft splined end had mushroomed, but broken spider gear had been removed. Guessing the PO has mushroomed it after gear removal

Broken spider gear from axle, had 3 teeth missing but everything else good

Most of the pinion gears had busted teeth

Diff side cover was split, allowing 2 pinions to fall out.

I have no idea what the sequence of events were that lead to this failure. The bad thing is that, as far as I can tell, everything was ready to be put back together. There is a replacement diff side cover, replacement pinions (except 1), replacement axle gear. All nuts and bolts are there too. So far the only thing i have had to do is get 1 additional pinion and do some file work to the axles splined end so that the new gear will fit. I will try having a new disc made for the brake and might have to fab up one brake pad. Other than that I hope to have it put back together in a week or two.

Today my extra pinions arrived along with the grade 9 bolts for the diff. I should be able to start getting it back together tomorrow.

Here are some pics of it arriving at its new home.

post-4784-0-24430600-1333165536_thumb.jp

Here is a little walk around vid that i made today.

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

very cool, that will be like new when it's all back together and cleaned up, I look forward to the follow up

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:

Excellent walk abound video too. :thumbs: Good luck with the resurrection.

• Like 1

rexman72

thanks for sharing the pics and vid.

• Like 1

Operator

Nice find!

• Like 1

Sparky

That was a pretty inventive idea with the rear wheels so it could be moved. Good find and good luck getting it back in shape!

Mike.........

• Like 1

Hydro

That is such a classic and what a great find. Glad you have the ability to put it back to the way it was. :ychain:

• Like 1

jay in nc

so we are safe to assume that the D series are your favorite? nice save, it would be a shame for it to go to the crusher. looking forward to seeing you on the 28 . Jay

• Like 1

coldone

Well I ran into some problems today. First was that I had to get the hub off the axle. With a gear puller and hammer it only took me about 3 hours but I got it. Next I found out that there must have been an upgrade of the diff at some time. The old Bull gear and end plate are drilled for the 5/16 bolts. The replacement end plate is drilled for the 3/8 bolts. So it looks like I will have to get an updated bull gear and end plate. So much for having back together this weekend.

Jay, I guess you can say that. I like the big GTs with full hydraulics. My Snapper 1855 spoiled me. I do like the looks of the 520 series but all of them are way out of my price range. The 2 Ds that I have were both basket cases at really good deals, thats how I ended up with Ds

wheeledhorseman

Wow, what a find!!!!!!

That's one really nice original example you've got there (understatement) - must have felt like pinching yourself when you first saw it - wake up, I really must be dreaming.

I'm just putting my D-200 back together at the moment so I've watched the video a few times looking at the fine detail.

I'd been wondering what the original turning brake pedal rubbers looked like, oh and the foot rest mats.

Any chance of posting some close up photos?

I'd love one of those original deluxe seats but no chance of finding one of those here in the UK so I'll dream on.

Sorry about the little difficulties but I'm sure you'll fix her up real fine.

Andy

bowtiebutler956

Nice find! I'll be looking forward to some pics, and maybe a vid when its done. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

hm12460

Coldone, you appear to be pretty knowledgable with the "D" series. I think you'll have it up and running in no time. Not having owned a D series myself, I didn't realize they had individual turning brakes. Learnt something today.

rexman72

coldone i am sure you will enjoy putting this D200 together.Keep us posted as i am very interested in seeing the final product.good work

otrelwood

i have 2 Ds and i was told that 3 reasons the rear ends broke was,the factory put in too soft of bolts in the carrier,turning brakes usually put too much bind and caused the rearend to come apart , and people hang way too much weight on the back.i just changed the rear on one last week . good luck . really cool tractor, nice find the only bad part is i didnt find it

coldone

@ Wheeledhorseman: I will see if I can get some more pics for you.

@hm12460: I am just learning. This is the first time I have ever went into a differential or rearend.

@otrelwood: Any tips, tricks, or advice, i am all ears. This is my first venture into this. I can definitely see where the 5/16 bolts should be 3/8. I will get some pics of the old bolts. The wear on them come from the bull gear, not the end plates. And they are worn. I wonder if the engineers originally designed it with the 5/16 bolts being the "weak link" for the rearend. There is nothing else in there that is under built. Maybe they thought that if something was going to break it should be a bolt.

Everybody can count a Vid once its up an running. This is the nicest tractor I have ever dragged home and with 200 hours on it its practically brand new.

speedyleedy

Nice D-200 good luck getting it back together can't wait to see it when it's done ! :)

otrelwood

there is a bunch of internal parts for d rearend on ebay right now. seems fair on the buy it now price too, if you need parts

• Like 1

coldone

Thanks, I guess my ebay google fu wasnt working yesterday. I found them and got them, now I am just waiting on parts.

hm12460

coldone, where are you from in NC? I spent almost all of 2009 working at a little mill in Moncure, NC. My employer sent a bunch of us down there from Michigan.

coldone

coldone, where are you from in NC? I spent almost all of 2009 working at a little mill in Moncure, NC. My employer sent a bunch of us down there from Michigan.

It didnt happen to be the 3M plant? I am about 15 miles south west of there. Closer to Sanford.

coldone

I'd been wondering what the original turning brake pedal rubbers looked like, oh and the foot rest mats.

Any chance of posting some close up photos?

Andy, Is this what you needed? Didnt remember to get the foot rest mats but they are the same material. I will see if I can get some pics of the mats for you.

DSCF2831.jpg

DSCF2832.jpg

wheeledhorseman

Yeah, that's great thanks and those pics are fine.

I was intending to just use some standard ribbed rubber matting but I'll hold off for a while and keep my eye open to see if there's something closer to the original available over here.

Andy

Terry M

Looks like a nice find! Look forward to seeing put together. :)

hm12460

It didnt happen to be the 3M plant? I am about 15 miles south west of there. Closer to Sanford.

Nope, it was Uniboard.

coldone

I finally got all the right parts for the diff in today. Got the rearend all put back together and was trying to get it back under the tractor when i noticed i had forgotten to put the parking pawl back in. :angry-screaming:

I will take it apart and put the pawl in tomorrow. Maybe have some pics for you.