Sign in to follow this  
wallfish

Round Hoods went up

wallfish

I had a new shed built last fall but also lost my area under the deck and the Temp garage tent thing has to go. I needed to find a space for the tractors and didn't really want to use the large amount of floor space in the shed so I came up with a plan. Put them up in the shed's loft. I bought a 110v winch, built a simple trolly and mounted up a 3" x 3" x 10 ft sq tube. They're High and Dry now!

post-658-0-33483700-1333057639_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-83350600-1333057666_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-88648500-1333057700_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-01615900-1333057720_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-25098500-1333057743_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-25944600-1333057766_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

ol550

Like it! Just like putting a Horse up to roost.

• Like 1

1maidenfan

Excellent use of space :handgestures-thumbupleft: Must be a fairly large area to get four of them up thier and still have room to walk between them. Nice design on the trolly :text-bravo: Wanted to mention also... nice :wh: herd you have thier. :woohoo:

Jake Kuhn

Cool,I bet you were nervous when you had them in the air :ychain: I would have been. Jake

AMC RULES

Nice use of typically wasted space, but geeze...isn't that a lot of weight up there. :scratchead:

Flying horses makes me nervous. :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

squonk

Almost looks like an old Mobil ad. :thumbs:

SALTYWRIGHT

VERY NICE JOHN. I WISH I HAD MORE SPACE. RUSS

grnlark

Id be a little nervous about the weight too, but great idea!

stevebo

John.... Looks a bit like this..

.4.jpg

These were storred above a dealer for about 30 years....

bowtiebutler956

You put your Horses where they belong, the penthouse suite!! :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

wallfish

I'm not really concerned about the weight, 2 x 6 construction with 5/8 plywood. I'll keep an eye on it but if it starts to bow, I'll just double up some of the boards. Then again, I'm no engineer

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Very cool but I gotta look at my 10 everyday and wonder what improvments I'm gonna do to them next.

VinsRJ

Very nice John!

bowtieguy

Toggle forward 100 years....can you imagine what the guy will do when he finds these horses in the attic!!

• Like 1

Uncle BO

John nice job on storage guess you arn't going to use them only for parades or wallpaper. Looking good

Unclebo

perry

what about the heat from the bakeing sun ?. have any vents up there ? may not matter, just a thought.

Wheel-N-It

I like your idea for storage, but I would recommend you double each joist. One on each side of the rafter. You have alot of verticle load there. Just trying to keep you safe :)

Van

Don1977

I like your idea for storage, but I would recommend you double each joist. One on each side of the rafter. You have alot of verticle load there. Just trying to keep you safe :)

Van

That's a light load, looks like 2x6's spanding only 8'. Each tractor covering around 3' by 4' or 12 square feet at 400 lbs each = 33.3 lbs per sq. ft.

Wheel-N-It

Van

That's a light load, looks like 2x6's spanding only 8'. Each tractor covering around 3' by 4' or 12 square feet at 400 lbs each = 33.3 lbs per sq. ft.

Light load as of today YES, but its only the beginning. We all know how it is when one is a collector with new storage space that needs to be filled :D

Rooster

Van

The bottoms of them aren't flat....they sit on 4 tires ;)

Ken B

Good idea John. I'm with you about the storage tents, they make the yard look Gypsy. I have one and can't wait to take it down. I've heard that some towns are banning them now.

SousaKerry

Trolly system remids me of the old loose hay storage systems they used to use in barns, Hooks came down from the rafters pull it up with rope and wheel it into the loft. Dad's barn still has the track but the rest of it is long gone.

Rooster

And if you have an older brother afraid of heights...those pulley hay lifts can be alot of fun....

Coadster32

Awesome. Get verticle baby!!

What kind of vented ductwork is that I see in the picture with the small fan hooked up to it? Just to circulate air, vent out smoke, ??

wallfish

The fan was used to blow heat down in the winter when the sun was shining on the roof.

Update: No problem at all with the weight up there so far.