dwcphoto

Sundstrand Hydro Wheel Horse 518-H

dwcphoto

Hi Guys,

I have a Wheel Horse 518-H with a Sundstrand hydro. It gets weak when it gets too hot. I was told it was shot, but maybe by putting some heavier oil in it might go for a while more.

So, I drained what little fluid was in there. Possibly/probably it was never changed. I put in 90 weight oil in it and it went back to working well enough. Over the winter it leaked out and I filled it up again and it's doing pretty well.

Is it possible to rebuild these yourself? There is a guy, who I'm sure would do a great job, but it's over a grand for the rebuild. I only paid $900 for the beast and that repair is not in my current budget.

I'm wary of buying a replacement and ending up with one in bad a shape as mine.

Any suggestions from you Wheel Horse guys?

Thank you, dwcphoto

can whlvr

i could be wrong(woulnt be the first time,or the last)but are you sure its a sundstrand and not an eaton ,if its a sund,theres a good post in transmission section about a d series pump rebuild,i tried a 1975 sundstrand and it turned out to be too much for me,and i rebuild engines,do my own brakes on my truck etc,so if your really confident maybe you can,dont know any thing about the eatons which is what i think you have

dwcphoto

Thanks for your quick answer. I'm told it's a Sundstrand, but don't know for sure. How can I find out exactly which hydro it is? thanks, d

Sparky

All the 500 series tractors had Eaton's. The 520 had the Eaton 1100 which is a heavier duty hydro/pump and would allow you to have hydraulic lift and the 516 and 518 had the Eaton 700 which was the lighter duty unit and the tractor will have a manual lift setup. Unless your in Europe, then all bets are off what Eaton you have.

Mike.............

dwcphoto

Thanks, Mike. Guess I was up the wrong tree. Is the Eaton 700 sort of round with fins on it? Thank you, dwc

dennist

Here is a Sunstrand-Equal axle lengths on both sides.

post-3300-0-82479300-1332985180.jpg

dwcphoto

Here's a photo of one for sale. Does this look familiar?? thanks, dwc

post-6593-0-72521600-1332985279_thumb.jp

dennist

That has a filter and is an Eaton 1100

dwcphoto

Dennist,

Man, you guys are all over it. I'll have to look at mine in the daylight and see what I have. Actually, maybe I'll go look now. You got me thinking... dwc

dwcphoto

Hi,

I went out and looked and sure enough it's not centered. It's a Uni-Drive part no. 2988185. That's what's on my tractor. The photo is one I'm looking at buying. I'll check that other post. Thank you for your help. Any tips or ideas are very welcome. best, dwc

Can that 1100 be installed on my 518? thanks, d

can whlvr

i thought all the 500 series and 300 and 400 have eatons,i think they stopped in the early 80,s with sundstrands,so your tractor must have manual lift then dwcphoto,if its a 700 series they are a weaker pump and not meant to do alot more than mow and pull a small wagon,where as the 1100 series is much stronger and meant to do any thing you can throw at it and yes an 1100 can be put in

dwcphoto

Beauty. Thanks for your advice. I'll be back.... dwc

dwcphoto

The guy that has that hydro in the photo is at a distance. Is there a part number or anything that he can check to make sure it's an 1100? Thank you, d

Sparky

The Eaton 1100 has an oil filter and the Eaton 700 does not. I see an oil filter on the upper right side of the tranny picture that you posted.

If it was a Sundstrand the oil filter points to the side of the tractor (I'm pretty sure about that :scratchead: ) and not the rear like the Eaton 1100 does.

Hopefully someone here can verify what I said about the Sundstrand.

Mike...........

dwcphoto

The guy said it came out of a 416-H, so maybe it's a 700? thanks, dwc

Okay, I see the filter now. Much appreciated. dwc

Sparky

The guy said it came out of a 416-H, so maybe it's a 700? thanks, dwc

Nope, all 416's were built with the 1100.

Mike.........

dwcphoto

Thanks. I'm really impressed with the knowledge you guys have. Details, details. Thanks, d

Looks like I have to try to make a deal...

dennist

That has a filter and is an Eaton 1100

It has a filter and is an Eaton 1100....... A 416-H comes with an Eaton 1100 also.

Sorry, slow typing.

pfrederi

Filter out the back Eaton 1100 Filter - - - out the side Sundstand (either Gearmotor or Piston to Piston)

can whlvr

ya i need to pull the wheel off to change the sundstrand and its easier on the eaton

dwcphoto

I'm probably going to see this 1100 tomorrow. I don't know what to look for, as far as the shape it's in. I guess if it turns and everything is snug it should be alright. Worth a shot anyway. dwc

Sparky

I'm not sure what you can tell about it from just looking at it. Driving it hard while in a tractor is the best way to tell if its allright or not. Obviously you'll want to pull the dipstick. Maybe someone on here knows but if the hydro was shot or getting to the point of being shot would anything in the oil give it away? Would the oil have a burnt smell like you would find in a car if the auto tranny was going bad.

Mike.........

dwcphoto

I'll check the oil. The whole back end of the tractor is for sale. It's not on the tractor anymore. Apparently the tractor was wrecked somehow when it was nearly new, so there are only a few hours on it. I'll probably find out more when I see it. Thank you for your help. dwc

can whlvr

if you get the whole rear it will make for an easy swap,remember to work really clean,dont let ANY dirt in at all,its very bad for hydros,and you will need to figure out how to bypass the hydro lift,since yours has manual lift,unless you purchase the parts to go hydro lift,then you dont need to bypass the lift hoses

squonk

I've got an Eaton 1100 I'm pulling out of a 520. Oil was a little dark and a little low on the stick. Pulled the filter and the oil looked golden brown but not black. Another member here has first crack at it. but if your first deal doesn't work out let me know. I may still have it. I'm a distance from you too but I can haul it to Arendtsville to the show if you're going.Mike