Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorse2115

211-5 won't hold a charge

wheelhorse2115

I have a 211-5 I bought used it was built in 1985 it was not taken care of. I did a tune up, replaced the positive battery cable, new battery it has been checked since I bought it. Everytime I want to cut grass I need to jump start off my car it wont hold a charge for longer than a few hours. I am guessing the alternator is bad. I don't know if this engine has points. it's a briggs & stratton 11 hp engine runs good when I get it started. She backfires on low speed also anyone have any idea's?

Sparky

So if I understand this, the battery is stone dead and you jump it off your car right? What happens after an hour or so of mowing? Will it start on its own then if you were to shut it off for a few minutes? But its back to stone dead after a few hours?

If thats the case it sounds like your tractor is charging and the battery is shot and unable to hold a charge. Before you jump it put a meter across the battery and see what the voltage is. Probably real low. Then re-check it after its been jumped and its still running. I bet it shows higher voltage (like 13-15 volts) when its running which tells us its charging.

Mike..........

SousaKerry

Yeah I would start with the battery also, The alternator is under the flywheel and they seldom go bad however if the wireing has been messed with that is another story. I can't rember if these units have a voltage regulator or not. I would get a manual for the tractor from the Toro website or on the web and start with the wireing diagram. If you go to the toro website you will need the long model number stamped into the tag under the dash for serial number type none.