Sign in to follow this  
FarmerJim

Planting Potatoes

FarmerJim

I have been gardening for years but have never planted potatoes. This year the Mrs. says she would like to plant a row to experiment, so here I come to the experts!, does any one have any tips or tricks they would mind sharing on planting, care and feeding etc. Also if anyone has planted them above ground and mulched over with straw how did that turn out?.

Jim_M

I always plant them 3 or 4 inches deep, 10-12 inches apart in rows 24-30 inches apart then hill the rows with more dirt after they bloom. If you have heavy clay soil till some sand or better yet, peat moss into the soil before you plant, they do better in loose soil. Wait at least another month to plant them, they do fine in cool weather but a hard frost will kill them.

Jim_M

I work with a guy that stacks up 2 old tires, fills them with dirt and plants a potatoe in each one. He has to water a lot but he always gets nice potatoes, they must like the heat. To harvest he just lifts the top tire off and there they are. I thought about doing it but I don't want to store 50 old tires in the off season.

GlenPettit

Potatoes are a very easy and very productive crop; each "eye" you plant will give you 8-10 nice potatoes, and you can get 5-6 eyes from each 'seed' potatoe. I don't think you need new seed potatoes every year, this is about 15 years with the same original potatoes; in early April my remaining potatoes start to sprout in the cellar, thats what I will use for this year's crop.

I mulch with everything; first some shredded old straw when planted, then thin layers of grass clippings each week. With my heavy clay I have raised the roll/bed a few inches to reduce excess moisture, and you should rotate location every year. (Google for more info).

Michigan Glen