Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Went to Toro dealer... you won't believe this...

Docwheelhorse

Went to a Toro dealer today (he was a Wheel horse dealer for along time and was selling Toro riders up until the junky MTD ones came out and he told Toro he wouldn't carry them) Well he still has the push mowers and snow throwers and he can get parts. So I ask for a rebuild kit for a Walbro carb off of a Magnum 10 off a 310/8, he has that in stock and it cost $38.... I winced and paid it. Heres the unbelievable part---my float bowl was a rusted rotted mess (zinc plated steel) and I asked for one---he didn't have one in stock and looked it up in his book and then his computer IT CAME UP AS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!!! OMG.... can you imagine if it comes to be that common carb parts for our Kohlers are going to go away??? Anybody else found this yet?? I'm just wondering if he was being lazy or screwed up what he was looking for or whatever.... Kohler CAN'T have discontinued a stupid float bowl.

Tony

gwgdog66

I've run into this with some briggs part already. High speed adjustment screw comes to mind. I sure hope Kohler isn't doing the same.

Kelly

I need a simple gasket for the pump to trans case on a Eaton 1100, it is a discontinued item, I checked 2 local dealers, at least a gasket I can make.

AMC RULES

Reminds me of the AMC story...imagine how difficult it is finding parts for them...Chrysler took over in '87. :eusa-doh:

1maidenfan

I am having the same problems with "NLA" parts on my 18 auto rebuild. :banghead: The little metal screen strainer thats in the hydro motor is "NLA" mine was in pieces when I took my trans apart and now not sure if I should put it back together with out it :confusion-scratchheadblue: Really sucks when you go to the parts store for some thing simple( so I thought ) and find out it is NLA. :handgestures-thumbdown:

MalMac

Well guys and gals I do believe the beginning of the end is here as far as Toro is concerned. As far as getting parts from Toro I think they have put the END on a faster track then we all have expected. From talking to dealers and just what you read on RS you will find people are running into NLA more and more frequently. Getting parts from Kohler I had heard rumorer's that getting K and Mag. series was going to start to be an issue as far as OEM parts.

Don1977

Went to a Toro dealer today (he was a Wheel horse dealer for along time and was selling Toro riders up until the junky MTD ones came out and he told Toro he wouldn't carry them) Well he still has the push mowers and snow throwers and he can get parts. So I ask for a rebuild kit for a Walbro carb off of a Magnum 10 off a 310/8, he has that in stock and it cost $38.... I winced and paid it. Heres the unbelievable part---my float bowl was a rusted rotted mess (zinc plated steel) and I asked for one---he didn't have one in stock and looked it up in his book and then his computer IT CAME UP AS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!!! OMG.... can you imagine if it comes to be that common carb parts for our Kohlers are going to go away??? Anybody else found this yet?? I'm just wondering if he was being lazy or screwed up what he was looking for or whatever.... Kohler CAN'T have discontinued a stupid float bowl.

Tony

The fix I have found is to sand out the rust and coat the inside of the bowl with epoxy. I have used BJ-Weld it will last 4 or 5 years before turning lose. There may be a better epoxy to used in a float bowl I haven't found one.

can whlvr

i dont know about the float being nla,but up here i have to wait several weeks for kohler parts,i lost a breather hose for a 12magnum,6 weeks,im still waiting for a breather cover,7 weeks now,i could never run any of my machines for buisness using a kohler

corn53

Isnt some of the P.O.R products impervious to gas and other solvents? :eusa-think:

rick

I use "Marine Tex" to repair rusted float bowls, it's a two part mix and works well, We even use it to repair plastic fuel tanks on pro saws when the chain breaks and gouges the tank.

Ken B

I think it is a sign of things to come for all of us. Good service as we know it is a thing of the past. These big company's no longer want to help people keep their older equipment going as they probably lose money in doing so. "I'm sorry sir that float bowl is no longer available, BUT, I can sell you this new made in China motor if that'll help ya out." :ychain:

MalMac

Ken B you hit the nail on the head. Company loyalty to a loyal customer is a thing of the past. They could care less but have no problem in asking you to support their China operations. Yes Sir Mr. Ken B you got it right. No matter how you cut it they just could care less.

rmaynard

My brother-in-law has a John Deere with a water-cooled engine. The camshaft in this engine has a plastic gear on the end that is a weak link in the engine. It is a common problem for that gear to break, and that is what happened. When the tractor was taken to the authorized Deere dealer, he was told that the cost of the cam was $800.00 and the total repair would be $2200.00, followed by "why don't you take a look at a new unit. You don't want to spend that much on an old tractor." Brother-in-law said basically "kiss my a**, this is not an old tractor" and began to tell him that I was still running 40 years old Wheel Horse's. He picked up the tractor and took it to a local independent mower repair shop where the entire repair was done for $800.00 including delivery back to his house.

Now that's a shop that is in business to build customers and keep them happy. It's nice to know that some do still exist.

rmaynard

And by the way, all the parts used were genuine John Deere. The $800.00 camshaft only cost the dealer $120.00. :disgust:

AMC RULES

How's that for brand loyalty, and customer service...these days, where does it get you? :teasing-poke:

SousaKerry

Well just maybe if Toro is done making parts and they no longer seem to want the Wheel Horse name, they may be willing to sell it.... And as long as I am dreaming we could all chip in some money and come up with enough cash to buy the rights and get all the prints and such. I think we have enough machiniests, engineers, and such around here we could re launch the brand just as parts for ourselves.

Then again monkeys mighnt fly out off my A$$ and my long lost rich uncle will die and leave me all his money.

Hey AGCO seems to own every big tractor brand other then JD and Kubota mabye we could get them to buy it.

Nurse is it time for my medicine again?

• Like 1

Hodge71

I can agree with the Deere thing. I hate to admit that I strayed to the dark side in 2005 and bought a nice 26 hp diesel with a loader and 72 inch belly mower for working around my house. Grand total $17,250. They delivered it to my house and I drove it for the first time in 4wd I hear this horrid clanging coming from the front. I called the dealer up and he comes and drives it, tells me I'm nuts. So I say ok and use it for awhile. The clanging is getting worse so I called dealer again he takes it and 2 days later brings it back...nothing wrong with it according to his BEST mechanic. I use it and its still clanging away in 4wd. I email Deere and they get me an appointment for a different dealer to look at it, problem is I have to take it there and its 70 miles away. So I suck it up and take it and low and behold...front driveshaft bent from the factory. Need to order 1, it'll be 4 weeks. OMG WTF and a few other words I utter. I could never undestand why it took so long until later in the tractors life or should I say death. After having the tractor until 2007 when it mysteriously stopped running while using it 1 day. I climbed off it with my then 1 year old son at the time, go inside to call my dad to bring some tools and give me a hand getting it back to the huse instead of the woods. I come out and theres a huge fireball of melting green plastic and rubber sitting burning fueled by 5 gallons of diesel. I get the hose and douse the fire as my Dad pulls in.

I call the dealer and they come get it to find out costs and repairs. My homeownwers wouldnt cover it and the insurance JD makes you take when you finance with them wouldnt cover it either. It was out of warranty by 2 months and they wanted me to pay $2300 to fix what their, or should I say YANMAR'S faulty wiring harness caused. Yes the tractors are built by Yanmar in Asia and then shipped to the good ole USA to have green and yellow plastic put on them, a couple stickers and a $3000 price increase cuz you bought a John Deere. I ended up suing over it, they settled for cancelling the loan but I eneded up swallowing legal bills in excess of $1500 to get out of owning useless machine. The funny thing is, the dealer fixed it and then sold it again as a used tractor.

So now I own red stuff and I'm much happier...

Tap53

Tony

What is the Carb # your trying to find a float for, cant say for sure, but might have one,, if interested.

gregg'shorses

check out Napa Auto Parts for part # 25 104 01-S , have them double check in their Power Equipment Manual.

Duff

Well just maybe if Toro is done making parts and they no longer seem to want the Wheel Horse name, they may be willing to sell it.... And as long as I am dreaming we could all chip in some money and come up with enough cash to buy the rights and get all the prints and such. I think we have enough machiniests, engineers, and such around here we could re launch the brand just as parts for ourselves.

Then again monkeys might fly out off my A$$ and my long lost rich uncle will die and leave me all his money.

Well, I won't get into the flight deck for primates or the fate of your relatives, but you may not be as far off the mark as you think. Somewhere among our 6,000 members here there's got to be at least one lawyer who might think it worth his (or her?) effort and our collective welfare to pose the question to Toro in language they'd understand? Couldn't hurt to try!

Any takers out there? :thanks:

Duff :thumbs:

BryanO

Then again monkeys mighnt fly out off my A$$ and my long lost rich uncle will die and leave me all his money.

Hey AGCO seems to own every big tractor brand other then JD and Kubota mabye we could get them to buy it.

Nurse is it time for my medicine again?

I've wondered about the possibility of doing this with a number of old brands. I'm definitely willing to chip in!

MarkPalmer

The Toro parts warehouses will likely only keep in stock what they have in the way of Wheel Horse parts unitl about 2017, 10 years after they produced the last Wheel Horse branded machines. As parts run out, they just list them as discontinued as no new parts are being produced by Toro and Toro is not getting any more WH spec'ed parts from the OEM suppliers like Kohler. This does not rule out E-Bay, where many past WH dealers who stocked a good parts supply sell off thier NOS parts. Thus far on my '67 867 refurbishment, I have found every part I have needed for both the tractor and the engine relatively easily- actually easier than a 1970's Cub Cadet 1450 I serviced recently. Like anything else mechanical, once the NOS factory parts run out, the supply will strictly come as either used parts from parted out tractors and engines, or from aftermarket suppliers. Either way WH made a lot of tractors and there is a lot of collector interest, thus its going to be a very long time before it all completely dries out.

-Mark-

rmaynard

Interestingly, I went to two Toro dealers today looking for a 79-5270 hydro filter. Both dealers came out with a NAPA 1410. One said that it is what Toro is now sending them, the other said it is what Toro is recommending. So I called Toro and the customer service rep said that was not true. So who do you believe? I called a Toro/John Deere dealer in another town and he said that they are no longer using the 79-5270, but are using a John Deere AM39653, which incidentally crosses over to a NAPA 1410.

Go figure. :scratchead:

hbrooks49

After 50 years of playing with antique cars believe me that you can work around anything. If exact authenticity is required it can get expensive, almost anything can be machined for a price. If functionality is the only consideration than the main requirement is ingenuity - carburetors are very interchangeable. Adapters must be made, linkages designed and fabricated but none of it is rocket science, nor does it take a big budget... and as MarkPalmer so correctly pointed out - it is going to be a very long time before any of these items actually disappear - it's just going to take a little more digging and patience. Some of you may remember the pre internet days when you actually had to send letters to possible vendors asking if they had such and such a part - wait for the written response, send the check, etc........ it is so much easier these days ..........

rmaynard

:WRS: Glad to have you aboard. I would never like to go back to those days of phone calls or letter writing. The internet has spoiled us, but then again, I guess the electric light spoiled many back in Edison's day. I am a person that needs to have answers immediately. I don't know how I functioned without the web.

In my case, functionality is all I am after. I ended up going to my NAPA store where I get a discount and picked up the model suggested by Toro at a much better price than at the Toro dealer.