Sign in to follow this  
boatman

414-8 tractor

boatman

Hi everyone, Due to rising gas prices and all the grass i have to mow, I am thinking about a diesel eng for my 414-8 tractor.

I run a 48" sd mower and was wondering if a 10 hp diesel would handle that in normal conditions? I know some conversions

have been done here but have never heard how they did with a mower. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

can whlvr

i have 2 414,s and i find them fairly fuel efficiant,but from all the people here that have swapped they say they are much better on fuel and will handle a 48

leeave96

If you want to appreciate how thrifty the 14 hp Kohler is - find yourself a 520H with an Onan. Those things really drink the gas - but they really sound goooood!

OTOH - a diesel switch sound very interesting regardless of fuel cost considerations!

Good luck,

Bill

jdog_kustoms

a 10 hp diesel will be fine but you will need a differant drive pully and pto clutch bushing since your 14 hp has a 1 1/8 inch shaft and the diesel is 1 inch but im about ready to do the swap on my gt 1100 it looks to be an easy job

boatman

Hi Everyone, I appreciate the feed back on the diesel info. The kohler 14 hp isn't real bad on fuel but I

know the diesel would be alot better. I mow a little over an acre with the 414-8 and mow about three acres

with a kubota 18 hp with 54" mower. I don't use anymore fuel for the three acres than I do the one acre with

the gas tractor.

Sparky

How much is a diesel powerplant? And what are extra the costs associated with the install to get it correct( pulleys, electrical items, bracketry)? Just a wild guess but will this transplant cost $700? If so thats equal to 175 gallons of regular gas (at $4/gallon). Might take along time to realize any savings it seems.

Mike.............

Wheel-N-It

How much is a diesel powerplant? And what are extra the costs associated with the install to get it correct( pulleys, electrical items, bracketry)? Just a wild guess but will this transplant cost $700? If so thats equal to 175 gallons of regular gas (at $4/gallon). Might take along time to realize any savings it seems.

Mike.............

I been thinking the same thing. I wanted a diesel for my 520 but just can't convince myself to lay out the cash for the conversion when I have a perfectly good K12 horsepower sitting on the workbench. I'm in no hurry now anyway with all the mowing I have to do..................... my yard, Mom's yard, old homeplace across the road yard, girlfriend's yard, racetrack infield............. yes I have ALOT of grass to cut every year.

persof

Use the Kubota for all mowing.