Sign in to follow this  
jpmcleod

Spitting gas

jpmcleod

I have learned from this site that there are no "dumb" questions, so here is mine. I have a Kohler Twin OHC 16 HP Mod# TH16S mounted by the previous owner on a Power King. This engine has sit for several years after his death and was "brand new" when installed and has less that 5 hours on it.

I have tried to get it running but it will only run at idle at best if it cranks. Put it under a "load" to move the tractor or try to throttle-up and it quits. I removed the air cleaner and it blows gas (and I mean a lot) back up throught the top of the carb. Today I removed the carb and it is sparkling clean inside. No gas residue or trash. Sprayed carb cleaner inside and out and put it back on and it still runs the same with upward blow-back.

Went to Kohler "Ask a Tech" and for $15.00 I was told it may be a stuck intake valve. (I had suspected that and could have saved the money). I removed the valve covers and I can easily watch the intake valves open and close with the spin of the two cams without any problem.

With a normal Kohler. one would have to remove the heads to see the valves. I do not wish to remove the heads unless I absolutely have too due to the timing belt and cams. I have never worked on a OHC engine.

I think this would be a long lasting engine and it is already installed in the tractor. Would just like to get it to run correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I noticed on the Kohler site that this engine sold for over $1,800.00 and that is what the deceased owners son who sold it to me said his father paid for it several years ago.

There is an rear attached finish mower with the tractor that has a Twin 18HP B&S on it also with throttle-up problems. I believe I may be able to solve that problem after I get the tractor moving under it own power.

Thanks for any help.

jdog_kustoms

if it sat i have had issues with mice having stuff in the cylinders and pack an exhuast full of stuff when it sits might be something to check is if the vlaves on both sides move the same and if you can feel the air coming out the exhuast

boovuc

Check and see if you have "exhaust" through the muffler when you turn it over.

If you have "air" out the exhaust, make sure you don't have a stuck float in that carb. I real clean carb can still get a hung float and blow gas as you observed.

jpmcleod

Thanks for the replys. There is no rat problem think goodness. The engine has dual exhaust and good air passage at idle on both sides which eleminates a stuck exhaust valve. I think I will pull the carb off again tomorrow and get a overhaul kit and go completely through it. The carb has two wires attached to a round attachment at the bottom of the bowl of which I have no idea what they are for. Any ideas?

I will keep trying to get it but right now we are having one of those afternoon heavy rains with high winds so I will have to wait.

Herbl

I had this problem on a Kohler 20 Magnum and found it was the float, the new gasolines (w/etho) seems to destroy the plastic floats and the floats take in the gas, all I had to do is replace the float, of course it could be a stuck float also..

Herb

WH nut

Plugged exhaust