Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Anyone use Exide Batteries??

Kelly

Menards has Exide batteries on sale this week till sun. they have garden tractor ones for $13.99 after $5 rebate heck even before the rebate $19 is cheap, I'm sure these are small amp ones but still it's a good price, I plan to pick a few up to stick in stuff around here, just wanted to see if anyone has used them, and give a heads up on the cheap price.

MaineDad

I do in my vehicles but not tractors. I'd be curious to get a review on their tractor batteries.

Hodge71

I've never had an issue with Exide batteries. The actually make them about 40 minutes from me. They have a outlet store there and I get them at half off because theyre blemished. Most of the time its a gouged case or bad stickers or something simple. Most people dont know but they make Diehard batteries for Sears too. I had a Diehard trolling motor battery from them, and it lasted 9 years of major abuse. I just replaced it last year. My 416 has an Exide and my 18 Auto will end up with one eventually too.

bowtiebutler956

I've had several Exide batteries in my vehicles, and they have always been good batteries. I've never even herd of Menards, so I'm sure there aren't any in my area, or I would pick up a couple. :banghead:

Matt :flags-texas:

larryandnell

I have been using Rural king lawnmower batteries which are Exides also for over 5 years and they are still goin strong. They usually run around 16.99 there with the rebate. I seen em in the flier and heading to Menards today to stock up. They are 280 cranking amps. They crank the diesels over very well. They are cheep but hold up for me. I recommend them.

Kelly

Never heard of Menard's?? heck they even sponsor a stock car, it's like Home Depot, I'm going to pick up 2 they have a limit for the sale price or I would get a few more.

larryandnell

Hey Kelly I picked up 4 today and they never said a word. I took 4 cores along and they gave me a certificate for 38 bucks. Its best to put em on the charger before use to get em fully charged. It says 2 rebates per household. Yep hard to beat for 13.99.

Martin

have two menards close and both stores out.....

73-18 automatic

I've never had an issue with Exide batteries. The actually make them about 40 minutes from me. They have a outlet store there and I get them at half off because theyre blemished. Most of the time its a gouged case or bad stickers or something simple. Most people dont know but they make Diehard batteries for Sears too. I had a Diehard trolling motor battery from them, and it lasted 9 years of major abuse. I just replaced it last year. My 416 has an Exide and my 18 Auto will end up with one eventually too.

Diehards are made by DEKA just my 2 cents

• Like 1

gwgdog66

There aren't any Menard stores in our neck of the woods. We used exide batteries in our HMMWV's for years when I was in the army. Never had a problem with one that wasn't caused by an operator leaving a switch on or something like that

Kelly

Well out of 3 local stores non have any in stock, I did get rain checks for them, and the brake cleaner I use a ton of, that was on sale and also out of stock, Oh well.

mdn1081

I have used Wal-Mart batteries in the past which are made my exide. My experience is they crap out in two to three years. Actually went through three of them in my wifes jeep. Next battery I get will be a Deka, Pennsylvania made and I will pay a little more for a battery that I know will last five to six years. But for 13.99 you can't really go wrong!

Trouty56

Jeff, where is the outlet store?? I'm hoping southwest of you...... :)

GEOD998

Walmart batteries are now made by Johnson Controls(at least the ones they're selling in Washington Pa.). Nothing but problems with them. You buy a battery that has an 84 month warranty-it goes bad(verified manuf defect by walmart)and once they give you 1 replacement,you are on your own.No more pro rata.No more replacements.I was told that if I drove the vehicle home and the battery went bad the next day there was NO further warranty.Just to clarify- a battery that cost $90+ with an 84month battery went bad in one year and after 1 replacement-its game over.Insult to injury,the woman in customer service tried to charge me an additional $6, because the price of that battery went up that much.After arguing with everyone from her to the store mngr and refusing to pay it ,they let me slide. Its not the $6 that matters but..To me-Free Replacement means FREE replacement

Jake Kuhn

I went and got a few exide's a month or so ago when they were on sale for the 14 bucks,no issues yet but only have one now. Sold 2 of the tractors I put them in so I do not know how they held up. But for the 14 bucks it's definately worth the try,I usually like to get a deka but this is a third of the price of a deka. Jake

Butch

I've had several Exide batteries in my vehicles, and they have always been good batteries. I've never even herd of Menards, so I'm sure there aren't any in my area, or I would pick up a couple. :banghead:

Matt :flags-texas:

Menards is a chain with a couple hundred stores in the Midwest. They are similiar to Home Depot and Lowes. They are family owned and operated and sponsor the sons NASCAR Sprint Cup car.

JamesBe1

I've always had terrible luck with tractor batteries. I've taken to just leaving them on cheap float chargers from HF lately. Now they seem to at least hold enough of a charge to get the tractors running.

Would that it were possible to get NiFe batteries, I would change in a heartbeat. You can drain them to zero, overcharge them, abuse them, and they sometimes even work better because of it. No wonder they were called the "battery too good to make". Just keep them on a float charger if you aren't using them for any length of time, and they last for decades. Sometimes they outlast their owners.

GEOD998

@JamesBe1-Nickle Iron batteries are still out there,but I don't know about getting one that will fit a lawn tractor. We have used them for off-grid alt energy systems.I've also been thinking about using them for a electric CJ-5 "grocery getter"project I've been tinkering with. They are large and heavy,but, if integrated properly,I still think they'd be worth using for my project(esp since I've scrounged up everything else I need for free) :) You are absolutely correct about their hardiness and longevity-gotta love em. Iron Edison .com is the only name that I can think of off the top of my head. I know NiFes are also pouring in to the US from China like crazy which may lower the prices, but probably quality as well, again, I'm not sure on sizes. Pretty sure they will sell individual cells,but we'd still have to come up with the right voltage,so I'm just not sure if that would help either. I'm hoping to get more "tinkering time"-(if I can ever get caught up with the "Honey Do"). If it's OK with the moderators- I'll post here and let you know if I find additional info on sizes that would be feasible for smaller mobile applications. Good Luck!

SousaKerry

Walmart batteries are now made by Johnson Controls(at least the ones they're selling in Washington Pa.). Nothing but problems with them. You buy a battery that has an 84 month warranty-it goes bad(verified manuf defect by walmart)and once they give you 1 replacement,you are on your own.No more pro rata.No more replacements.I was told that if I drove the vehicle home and the battery went bad the next day there was NO further warranty.Just to clarify- a battery that cost $90+ with an 84month battery went bad in one year and after 1 replacement-its game over.Insult to injury,the woman in customer service tried to charge me an additional $6, because the price of that battery went up that much.After arguing with everyone from her to the store mngr and refusing to pay it ,they let me slide. Its not the $6 that matters but..To me-Free Replacement means FREE replacement

The trick is to buy the batteries loose and install them yourself that way they can't say it must be your vehicle. Down of the farm we found out the hard way that once batteries are used for farm use it voids the warranty, so never tell them what they came off of. :angry-nono::techie-eureka:

I had an uncle who worked for Dekka for years used to get free Dekka t-shirts every year for Christmas always said "I get a charge outta Dekka"

JamesBe1

Hi Geod998. Yeah, it's fair to say that I am a fan of NiFe batteries. I'm just learning. They have their pros and cons, but the pros heavily outweigh the cons. There are only two manufacturers that I know of. The Chinese ones, and a small startup company in the NW. At the moment, they are still too expensive. The economies of scale factor allows manufacturers to sell Lead Acid batteries cheaper even though the materials for a NiFe battery are less expensive. I don't picture being able to put one in any of my tractors any time soon (if ever). I would like to start weaning myself from the grid, and this is a step in that direction. I was noticing how ubiquitous the 55gal plastic drums are, and was thinking that with the right construction, you could store a tremendous amount of energy in one. There is enough room in one to place the cells in many different configurations to give you whatever voltage you want. Four of five of these barrels could probably hold days worth of energy for a small household. Of course, inverters and chargers go along with the whole deal, but for now, I am focusing on the battery part.

Anyhow, sorry to all for hijacking this thread. FWIW:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Edison_NiFe_Batteries/