Sign in to follow this  
hifiwasabi

Lawn Ranger Identity crisis

hifiwasabi

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum which means I'm also new to wheel horses. I've recently aquired a Lawn Ranger although I'm not sure of the year and engine make and I cannot find a parts breakdown for the unit-drive. There is the number 3800 cast on the housing but I'm not sure if this will help lead to identifying which year and all the other important info from it. Here is what I do have:

Tractor:

Model No. 1 1631

Serial No. 426625

Unit drive:

Patent No. 29188185

3800 series

Engine:

Model No. H60-75118H

Serial No. 7250

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Sean

CasualObserver

You have a 1968 Recoil start Lawn Ranger. If you intend to restore it, check out the links thread at the top of this section. Vinylguy and Norm's Toys have the decals for your model. They are different than the previous years, and say LAWN RANGER down the sides of the hood instead of the little horsehead and wheel that the previous years had.

TT

:whistle: , Sean!

Thought I'd add that the engine is a 6hp Tecumseh.

The transaxle is a model # 5053 which was used in several other models.

Here's a LINK to the IPL. (same transaxle, different tractor. B) )

sorekiwi

To add to what Jason said, the engine is an H60 Tecumseh (6HP), and the Unit Drive is actually a Unidrive transmission.

Here's a link to some pictures in the Gallery here:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=961

Is that what she looks like?

And B)

sorekiwi

That damn TT types faster than me! hope I never come up against him in ebay.

TT

Don't worry about me and ebay, Mike..... it takes money to play there - and I'm in pretty short supply right now. B)

T-Mo

Sean,

It looks like the guys have you covered, so all I can add is my humble :whistle: . I think you will find that you will be looking for more Wheel Horses. This thing is very addictive. B)

hifiwasabi

Thats pretty rockin' how fast you guys respond! I do intend on restoring it but not to the point where I'm afraid to work it, just a thorough mechanical inspection, new paint, correct seat and some new wheels. I've had the engine running about a year ago, but the uni-drive seems to be in poor shape, I drained about a quart of water out of it and it will not engage any gear. That will definately be the first aspect of this project.

Sean

CasualObserver

Well Sean, I guess I forgot to say B) And if you're not afraid to work on it, the Uni-Drive is pretty simple to rebuild. You can print out a copy of the repair manual from Toro's site, and follow it. The instructions in there are perfect and include pictures. I would recommend reading through them one time BEFORE you start though. There is one little spring that can pop out when you disassemble your tranny, and you want to be ready for that! If you have any questions once you get into it, the guys here are very knowledgeable and quick to respond.

catman81056

Don't worry about me and ebay, Mike..... it takes money to play there - and I'm in pretty short supply right now. :whistle:

B) Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, TT. This is the second day in a row that the rain has screwed me. No one wants concrete when the forecast says "RAIN LIKELY".

BPjunk

Thats pretty rockin' how fast you guys respond! I do intend on restoring it but not to the point where I'm afraid to work it, just a thorough mechanical inspection, new paint, correct seat and some new wheels. I've had the engine running about a year ago, but the uni-drive seems to be in poor shape, I drained about a quart of water out of it and it will not engage any gear. That will definately be the first aspect of this project.

Sean

Sean,

One thing to try before taking apart the transmission. Fill the transmission up with kerosine or diesel fuel (remove the shifter and fill through the hole) and let sit for a few days then push or pull the Lawn Ranger around the yard a while to see if the transmission loosens up. If so then add a mix of kerosine/diesel fuel and a straight weight oil (like 40 or 50 weight) and drive the Lawn Ranger around the yard a while but no more then 10 minutes. The flush the transmission out and refill with 85-40 weight gear oil.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

hifiwasabi

Thanks for the tip but I've already got the tractor split and it is not currently running. The axle seals and case are leaking anyways so I have to dig into it whether I like it or not. A couple things I might have neglected to add include a rotten rear wheel, incorrect/missing fuel tank and an incorrect seat. Looks like the previous owner bolted a new style seat straight on the fender so I'll have to straighten that bit of tin too. But the tractor was free so I won't complain.

Sean

Duff

But the tractor was free so I won't complain.

Hi, Sean!

Beside the fact that you've come into owning one of the finest brands of tractors ever made, free is AWESOME!!!! :whistle:

The guys on this thread are a wealth of both wisdom (except for me - I'm a raw rookie!) and good humor. Glad you're with us!

B)

Deereman B)